General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
what do you think?
Posted by: :)
Date: September 03, 2002 10:46PM

Isn't it about time to start a mailing list for user support instead
of those web-based forums?

Web-boards, like news groups, attract such odd "users". Currently the
forum is overfull with posts from IE, Opera, and Mozilla advocates.
You will have to search for user questions. I don't do that. (but
then, i don't bother to write at boards either..)

With a mailing list you cut down the nonsense and give everyone a
chance to organize the posts the way they want (such as kill the
threads you don't care for).

--
Ulf

just thought people would want to know thissmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what do you think?
Posted by: Al.
Date: September 04, 2002 12:35AM

Actually one of the things I like about these forums is the "search" function, you can search for all sorts of things, including past postings from authors such as yourself. Let's see what turns up....

From this thread: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=4660&t=4621

Author: smiling smiley (---.win.ORG)
Date: 08-25-02 00:07

"If your looking for a new browser don't count on this website to give it to you. .7 is long overdue and i wouldn't be surprised if it never came out. You see there is the layered windows , the opera hotlist........ and other nonsense . But thats just a developers way of putting off a new release. Which has been successfully done for almost a year now . So if they want to keep making plugins instead of the task at hand( the .7 release ) then let them. It will be out sometime. Just pick a date if your desperate for this long awaited browser to come out. Then come back and see if its out. If it isn't then move on to a different browser. Hell if you want a K-Meleon browser so bad just do a custom install of mozilla. Its the same rendering engine just a different browser."

You certainly strike me as being an odd user. ;-)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 04, 2002 01:26AM

I have to think that's a coincidence since Ulf is the one who created the Layers and Hotlist plugins.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 04, 2002 02:16AM

"I have to think that's a coincidence since Ulf is the one who created the Layers and Hotlist plugins."

Well, actually turning up another search (for Ulf's postings), produced this:
From this thread: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=4458&t=4404

I doubt that Ulf would take to posting with a different nick.

Author: Ulf (---.telia.com)
Date: 07-28-02 06:12

"The mentioned plugin might be my experiment announced in this thread:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=858010&forum_id=2617
It fakes a layered set of windows by keeping all but one of them invisible. Until anyone tries it and tell whether this can be a good enough approach, if just some of the known issues get fixed, I have no immediate plans to work on it further. (i have never used tabs before and only wrote the plugin out of curiosity)

Another approach is the patches by Brian. They add tabs to the core of K-Meleon.exe, which could give more control than a plugin. Nor this experiment received any comments though.

Join the developers mailing list if you wish to help test either. Without tests and some interest it can take a while before any reach beta."

/Ulf

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 04, 2002 03:15AM

I see what happened - someone copied Ulf's posting from the developer's list and posted it here. The poster was Mr. Smileyface and they added their comment after Ulf's name. I misinterpreted your posting to mean that Ulf had posted that when really you were just showing what Mr. Smileyface likes to post. Nice catch Al.

Posted by: :)
Date: September 05, 2002 05:16PM

LOL

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.