General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cache files un-viewable?
Posted by: polo
Date: September 08, 2002 10:04AM

Is it a privacy reason for not making the files viewable? In other browsers text files appear as .txt and HTML as .html and pics as .jpg, etc. In K-M cache all the files are of the same type namely "File" and the filename is just random letters and numbers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cache files un-viewable?
Posted by: polo
Date: September 22, 2002 09:56AM

Any comments? All the cache files in one folder unlike IE where you have them all over the place and bits in the .dat files too?

Posted by: Steven
Date: September 22, 2002 07:14PM

I can't tell you why they did it the way they did, but I can tell you the files aren't really unviewable. They're not the same type, either. What's happening is that K-Meleon is storing the files *without* any file extensions. The files are still still fully intact & in good condition, but to view them you would either need a viewer that can recognize files with no extension, or you'd have to manually name them before trying to open them. I use Irfanview as my default image viewer & it can both recognize the file types & do the renaming for me, though in reality it's not as quick & convenient as that souds. Irfanview -- if you don't already know -- is a very versitle image viewer with some simple editing features, & it can open a lot more than just images.

Posted by: nobody
Date: September 25, 2002 09:22PM

Mozilla does the same, I suspect the k-meleon behavior is because of the mozilla behavior(?). Personally, I agree, I strongly dislike it, though I view them same as you, Steven.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.