You still exist???!
Posted by: Dirk Gently
Date: September 10, 2002 05:56AM

Wow!

I thought this project had been abandoned. There hadn't been an update in a year and the KMeleon.org domain no longer works.

Maybe you out to put out some noise or a new version or something.

I remember when this project was announced and I got a little excited about a nice open source browser that looked a bit like IE but without the bugs.

I hadn't heard anything in so long that I finally concluded that it was some high school kid's project and he got tired and abandoned it.

Re: You still exist???!
Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 10, 2002 07:11AM

http://www.kmeleon.org domain name works for me. There are and have been regular updates in beta.They just don't call them official releases like Microsoft does and then keeps patching them. I'm not at all a Microsoft hater or basher though. In fact what drew me to Kmeleon initially was the fact that its UI was most like IE in that it had the option to have the menu, toolbar, address bar on one slim line, maximizing webpage area, unlike Opera, Netscape, and Mozilla. I just prefer using a browser that upon crashing doesn't crash the entire system with it as IE does.

Posted by: po
Date: September 10, 2002 07:15AM

the kmeleon.org domain seems to fade in and out, and possibly work from some places and not others... for anyone linking to the project, or whatever, it's much safer to use kmeleon.sf.net , since that will usually resolve even when the other doesn't...

Posted by: Martin Aston
Date: September 10, 2002 03:39PM

Just checking:

Dirk Gently, alias Pokopiko in other places on the web??

Posted by: Dirk Gently
Date: September 10, 2002 06:00PM

> Just checking:

> Dirk Gently, alias Pokopiko in other places on the web??

No, sorry I don't know that name. There are quite a few of us Douglas Adams fans, though...[grin] Just try to register it at any of the free webmail places! (Even my ISP has that name taken. Drat!)

Sometimes I do his other name, Svlad C., but I never can remember how to spell it.

Anyway, back to KMeleon... Since the kmeleon.org domain seems so eratic, perhaps you should change the 'home page' link on sourceforge to point to your other site.

And, I still think you should release *something*. A project with no downloadable update in a year is usually considered dead. It'll be years before you get a completely finished product and by then everybody except a few dozen people will have forgotten about it.

Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: September 10, 2002 06:31PM

"A project with no downloadable update in a year is usually considered dead."

So is IE dead?

Just kidding . . . smiling smiley

Posted by: Roy
Date: September 10, 2002 07:39PM

This is a real problem if you want K-Meleon to be used by others. People just don't know about it. I have seen many posts on OSNews and Slashdot saying that K-Meleon is dead. I thought K-Meleon was dead until someone posted a link to the 0.6.5 431 build. I downloaded it and have been using it ever since. It is a little rough, but after I tweaked the configs it is working great (crashes occasionally, but nothing major). It doesn't need to be 7.0. Just spend a few hours packaging up what you have now. It works well enough to show that the project is still alive.

Date: September 10, 2002 08:11PM

I believe the core developers are working on getting everything together to release the next build. The original problem was with a couple of bugs from mozilla. Once these were fixed and the newest embed version was plugged in, there was way to many bugs to release anything. With build 431 most of these had been fixed, but as you noticed it took some tweaking to get it to work correctly.

Unlike some projects, K-Meleon does not need to release a buggy build, then lose users becuase it does not work. It is better to lose them for inactivity, since some will come back when the next version is released.

I agree that there needs to be something on the home page that gets updated at least every few months, even it just announces something like:

Current developers beta release: Version 0.6.5 Build 431 Compiled Sat Aug 10 00:19:37 2002

This would at least let visitors know that development is proceeding.

Date: September 11, 2002 03:55AM

i suppose if it were up to me, there would be some cheesy haiku about the virtues of patience added every couple of weeks... smiling smiley

Posted by: Robert
Date: September 11, 2002 11:36AM

BTW

Is the next k-meleon-releas based on mozilla 1.1?

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: September 11, 2002 02:18PM

Haiku of the day:

K-M lives, and rocks;
inspiring users' patience,
lose only losers.

Date: September 11, 2002 06:36PM

approaching surface
you can meet it halfway down
developer's build

Date: September 12, 2002 04:19AM

Basking in lazy sun
small lizard meets foolish cats
but loses only tail

Posted by: Steven
Date: September 12, 2002 04:37PM

When I first came to the site, I didn't even notice how long it had been since the last update, & for the life of me I can't see why everyone makes such a big stink over it. So what if the site doesn't show a certain level activity? So what if the upgrades are few & far between? All I care about is whether the links to the files are alive & that I have an excellent browser. I'd rather not have to install patches or run upgrades every week or two anyway. Viva La K-Me!

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: September 12, 2002 06:00PM

You said it, man. No new updates and multiple "fixes" shows a good thing, not something to be p'ed about. I'll bet these folks who complain about no new updates are the very people who don't really do anything with their computer except update software (and hardware).

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: September 12, 2002 06:00PM

I use KM
therefore I am.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 13, 2002 06:26AM

"You said it, man. No new updates and multiple "fixes" shows a good thing, not something to be p'ed about. I'll bet these folks who complain about no new updates are the very people who don't really do anything with their computer except update software (and hardware)."

Unfortunately the reality for these folks is, they honestly believe that there has to be constant updates available for programs, otherwise (over time) the software becomes "obsolete", from their point of view. Microsoft are primarily to blame, hence the constant references to Internet Explorer. The flawed logic usually is, no updates on K-Meleon, so they're sticking with IE, mainly because it becomes a bit of a security blanket for them after a while. When you have IE, there's always something to download from Windows Update, so that satisfies their need for constant software updates.

Date: September 13, 2002 05:33PM

Right-O! Give me the quiet life.

After long silence
download one excellent file -
a gentle snowflake

Posted by: C
Date: September 13, 2002 11:28PM

What the hell is with you ungrateful people complaining? 0.7 will be out when its ready. If you don't like it gtfo of here.

Date: September 14, 2002 04:00PM

In the storm's center,
unconcerned, it incubates -
words do not break eggs

Posted by: Max Quordlepleen
Date: September 15, 2002 09:07AM

What the hell is with you ungrateful people complaining? 0.7 will be out when its ready.

Indeed. I am using Mozilla 1.1, waiting in hope for K-Meleon's next avatar. I also use Pegasus, and the author of that software got into strife with a string of promised delivery dates for new updates that had to be continually postponed. I shall wait, eagerly checking my mailbox for some sign of life from the announcements mailing list, knowing that the next K-Meleon wil be even better than 0.6.

Date: September 15, 2002 01:52PM

Me, I just use K-Meleon, keep Mozilla in a little cage in the basement and feed it a few rabbit pellets once a month, and try to ignore the neighbors' dogs and other barking things. ;-)
...except when I'm in the mood for haiku...

Date: September 16, 2002 02:12AM

"I also use Pegasus, and the author of that software got into strife with a string of promised delivery dates for new updates that had to be continually postponed."

Yeah, I remember all that. v4.0 was promised at a certain time, and then it ended up taking another six months or so before it finally saw the light of day, and since then he's been weedling out the bugs in it. The Pegasus Mail newsgroup was endlessly receiving "when will it be out" postings for months on end, sorta akin to the "K-Meleon is dead" flame-baiters here in these forums.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: September 18, 2002 01:15PM

I aggree with that it's pointless to nag about "when does next KM come out", but from there to stating that "KM 0.6 is just fine and don't ned an update" is a pretty far leap that I cannot agree with.

There has been an awful lot of rendering bugs & HTML/CSS spec violations fixed from Moz 0.9.5 to current 1.0+. If you havn't noticed it's becuause you don't make webpages and experience the dayly frustrations of working around buggy browsers.

This has of cource nothing to do with the KM developing team, but with the gecko embedengine itself. That is why people are eagerly awaiting KM 0.7, no need to get into presonal attacks against them (even if some of them are quite rude and/or have silly statements) smiling smiley

Date: September 18, 2002 09:41PM

Well if you want an updated version of Gecko, the latest beta has always been downloadable. It's true it isn't obviously apparent, however they have been releasing betas since about six months ago. So just grab a copy, test it out, and let them know about any bugs you may find. It'll certainly help expediate the release of 0.7 eventually.

Posted by: fault
Date: September 20, 2002 05:51AM

The newest build is very good.

http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/beta/kmeleon065-beta.exe

Came out a few days ago

Posted by: Marvin
Date: September 21, 2002 05:43PM

He good news. First time I get a link to one beta file.
Wouldn't it be good to have a link on the K-Meleon Homepage
which points to the last released beta (of course also a link to
the mailing list too).?

It can of course be a warning there that this is not a stable release but
only a beta to play with.

Date: September 21, 2002 06:13PM

"Wouldn't it be good to have a link on the K-Meleon Homepage
the mailing list too).?"

No it wouldn't! The problem is you have people come in, and they know they want the newest software out. So what are they going to grab? The newest beta of course!

After a few days they forget that it was only a beta for testing purposes only, get upset because it doesn't work the way they think it should. Then they go around telling thier friends, posting on newsgroups, etc. how bad of software K-Meleon is.

People will hear this and won't even look into it themselves. Then you have people who will only believe bad press, not the good press. In fact there was a posting in these boards a few days ago about how unstable K-Meleon was, and they mentioned they were using .6.5 rather than .6. (They probably got it from a link that was posted in the boards a while back).

I think it works quite well by making people go to the developers list to get the newest link. Maybe then they will remember that they shouldn't be using it for stable browsing.

Posted by: Keith
Date: September 25, 2002 06:06AM

Cool, fault. This is the first time I didn't get a 404 when trying to download a linked binary. It's pretty nice, but there are a few issues.

Date: September 25, 2002 09:54PM

"He good news. First time I get a link to one beta file.
Wouldn't it be good to have a link on the K-Meleon Homepage
the mailing list too).?"

There is a link to the mailing list on the homepage:
"If you are interested in the development you might want to sign up for the >>developers mailing list<< or if you automatically want to be informed about new releases you can sign up for the very low volume >>announcement list<<."

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.