General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mozilla 1.2 alpha is available...WHAT ABOUT KM?!
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: September 19, 2002 02:37PM

The Mozilla team gains press attention by releasing software with constant releases which are generally rather unstable and hoard memory.

Why can't K-Meleon be more like that? Why must the developers take their time, fixing bugs, writing enhancements, and generally ensuring that K-Meleon .7 is a piece of software destined to sit on my hard drive for years, despite newer, flashier software?

How dare these developers treat me like a grown man, rather than a five year old child, and instead of releasing a half-finished program years before it's usable to sate my selfish need for newer/better/faster, fixing all the bugs they know about before releasing their software!

I mean, who do they think they are?! The developers of the single most stable web browser in development today?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozilla 1.2 alpha is available...WHAT ABOUT KM?!
Posted by: Steven
Date: September 19, 2002 07:44PM

I'm appalled & dismayed. We should just all go back to IE, they'll probably release a service pack tomorrow.

http://www.microsoft.com

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 19, 2002 08:41PM

Sorry, we'll work harder on making a more unstable browser.
winking smiley

Posted by: _
Date: September 19, 2002 09:49PM

Seriously though, where is the next release? I mean, pffft! ;-P

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 19, 2002 11:03PM

"Sorry, we'll work harder on making a more unstable browser."

Well Andrew, this is totally do-able, and what's more, you have a couple of other software models you could model K-Meleon after:

First one is the Microsoft model. The idea here is to release what is essentially a beta version of the browser, and call it 7.0. That's right, to hell with these numbering conventions, you need version 7.0 out there to compete with the other big boys. Then, proceed to release patch after patch after patch. You will probably need to set-up a special website called "K-Meleon Update" for this. After about six months or a year, you can then release the version of the browser which rounds up these security and bug-fix patches, and call it v7.0 Service Pack 1. But wait! There are still a few more bugs to round up. Oh well, maybe Service Pack 2 will round it all up.

The Mozilla model: get as many people working on the source code as possible. This will ensure that even though there are constant releases of the software, there will still be a lot of bugs that don't get squashed, plus more are created as they go along. You know the saying, too many cooks spoil the broth.
But the benefit of this model is, you be constantly releasing nightly builds, so you'll be satisfying the salient appetite of those who are forever updating their software. Plus you can also proceed to scrap the MFC framework K-Meleon is built on, and instead go for a nice "gee whiz" XUL or XML based gui instead.

Finally we have the Opera model. The basis of this model is, release a browser that may be standards compliant, but at the same time barely supports things like Javascript, Java, XML, etc. If people complain that a particular website don't look right in your browser, or the browser crashes frequently, you can just tell them that there's nothing wrong with the browser, blame the webpage designer instead.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.