General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Getting the word out...
Posted by: TheWebDevGuy
Date: September 26, 2002 06:29AM

Ok. I know I've posted a lot today but that's because I'm excited!
K-meleon is just plain cool and I'm getting jazzed about it. I've fallen in love... I've finally found a Gecko that undestands interface...

Now to market that interface...

I thought about posting this in the developer's section and if you think it should go there please move it...

Here's what I've thought of so far...

Skinz websites:
-Customize.org
-Desktopian.com
-DeskMod.com
etc...

Get this community jazzed and youve got the same people who made winamp a success behind you...

This is the same plan that many successful software packages followed:

You get a smal to medium sized following of loyal fans and then you let them spread the word...
And then as an open source project you've got to get the development community behind you... And you know that many of us already are...

Then if all goes well you can release a boxed version to go out to stores like Best Buy and Circuit City then you get lot's of exposure and you actually have a chance...

This is how I've seen every single successful piece software effort get out there and make it in the last 10 years...

Linux
WinAmp
Real Player
Netscape (before they decided to hike the prices and give Microsoft a leg in...)
I'm even starting to see Apache in stores!
Alladin StuffIt
Myst (Broderbond cirtainly helped too...)
LiteStep (although I haven't seen it in stores yet)
Napster (if we put the leagal issues aside...)

This is a great legacy of marketing success but it starts with us...
We gotta get the word out and get people using this browser...

Yours Truly,
~TheRodster

a.k.a. Rodney Giles
Chief Engineering Architect
Toydrum Web & Media

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting the word out...
Posted by: chimChim
Date: September 26, 2002 04:53PM

here's where you are really going to need a boost somehow from the university community.
all of your great anti-big-corporate movements start at the university level, even if they end up somewhere else. think about inktomi, google, napster...all developed, thought of, and invented and "marketed" at the university-level.

students love to take new ideas and shape them and mold them into something great. this is where your "smal to medium sized following of loyal fans...spread[ing] the word" needs to come from, in addition to the developers themselves. and what's great about it is that often your student populations are your developers and your fans, both.

Posted by: TheWebDevGuy
Date: September 26, 2002 06:09PM

Good thought Chim! :-)

So how do we get K into the universities?

Yours Truly,
~TheRodster

a.k.a. Rodney Giles
Chief Engineering Architect
Toydrum Web & Media

Posted by: CutTheRedWire
Date: October 20, 2002 06:42PM

I'm actually an admin at VelocityArt.com, a smaller skinning site. I think when a new release is out that would be the best time to push for this. Themebar 1.0 had plenty of skins, and hotbar (the evil spyware program) both had lots of backgrounds. More users and skinners would be nice. I've got to skin the sucker myself too. ^.^;

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.