General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Are the beta builds built on 1.0 or later?
Posted by: Holit
Date: September 30, 2002 05:02PM

I tried K-Meleon almost a year ago and found it entirely too buggy to use. It looked intriguing though so I kept checking the webpage every month or so hoping for updates.

I know the running argument here about how K-Meleon doesn't release garbage so it doesn't need to placate children with constant updates. I don't care how often a software package is updated, but I do need a stable version before I can use it.

Now, I had nearly the same problems with Mozilla 0.95 as I did with the K-Meleon build I tried (0.6) so I will assume the majority of the problems weren't the K-Meleon code but the Mozilla they were building on.

Mozilla was unuseable for me well into the late 0.9x builds. 1.0 was the first one that was better than IE, but it is an extremely slow (XML?) interface, which I understand is not the case with K-Meleon. So now that I know the K-Meleon project is not dead as I had thought, I'd like to try it again, but there's probably no point if it isn't built on Mozilla 1.0 or later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are the beta builds built on 1.0 or later?
Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: September 30, 2002 05:59PM

The current beta is built upon 1.1. Normally each release is based on the current stable release of Mozilla. (Currently 1.1).

Posted by: sven
Date: September 30, 2002 07:18PM

Mozilla with it's ability to format XML with pure CSS+DOM instead of clumsy XSL (it's ugly, it's stupid and it does nothing CSS can't do) has by now surpassed IE in this particular section. Last time I checked KM build 431 handled it as well.

Latest Mozillas also feature XML prettyprinting. Haven't tried that with KM, though.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 30, 2002 07:32PM

Sven,

I think they were referring to the XUL interface.

Posted by: sven
Date: October 01, 2002 05:31AM

Awww, I see.
I thought it was peculiar to call XML renderer/parser "XML interface".
But Moz/KM XML parsing rocks anyway smiling smiley

Date: October 14, 2002 08:18AM

This is good to hear (that the latest beta is on at least 1.0 or higher.)

Sorry about the XML/XUL confusion. I don't know what either one are. I'm just trying to complain about why it takes two seconds for my bookmarks to appear after I click on the bookmark button. Netscape 2.x was faster than that on a P200 five years ago. Is it XUL that causes that delay?

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 17, 2002 06:24AM

With K-Meleon, no, as it isn't built using XUL. Just to clear the air on XUL, XUL is the XML based language which draws (renders) the Mozilla GUI (interface) on screen. XUL does not have anything to do with webpages, and especially not K-Meleon, as K-Meleon is built using MFC (a Microsoft programming language).

Date: October 17, 2002 06:43AM

Thanks for the clarification. smiling smiley

I'm trying out the beta now and it definitely responds faster than Mozilla or Beonex.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.