General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
When is the new version coming?
Posted by: Steven
Date: October 02, 2002 05:04AM

Some of you might be around my age & so you might fondly remember some of the same stuff from the 80s that I do. You may have noticed the way a lot of the best kid's stuff from the 80s has been making a come back. For instance, there's a new G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man, M.U.S.C.L.E, Teenage Mustant Ninja Turtles & even stinky ole Care Bears. I might even have left a few things out. So here's what I want to see, does anyone remember Boglins? They were my one of my favorite toys as a kid & I'd love to see them redone. If anyone hears anything about a *new version* of Boglins, let me know.

I know it's completely off topic, I just wanted to stir things up again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When is the new version coming?
Posted by: Marvin
Date: October 05, 2002 12:23PM

Something the same off-topic. Because we won't hear about a new version of K-Meleon, here is about a new version of a modern browser still in development but releasing. Its the Phoenix Browser Version 0.2. It has a fast gecko engine, tabbed browsing and its written in XUL. The next version (0.3) is announced round about the 8th of October. So while I am waiting for the next K-Meleon I will play with this (half a year, another year?)

I know it's a little off-topic too, but it will help some of the impatient.

P.S.: I am writing this with the Phoenix browser already.

Posted by: _
Date: October 05, 2002 05:09PM

Look, guys, every time someone starts a "when is it comming" thread, it only delays the release date more. Why? K-Meleon is written by geeks. Most geeks spend the majority of their formative years being denied, learning to live without satisfaction. Now they have something you want, and it's your turn to suffer. You want a new version released? Well, you are just going to have to wait. It doesn't matter how you ask. You can be as polite or as rude as you like, it makes no difference to them. All that matters is, it's their game, their rules, their bat and ball. There isn't a goddamn thing you can do about it, except maybe shut up and stop giving them what they want. Stop feeding their need to pay the world back for the way you treated them when they were young. The less you ask, the quicker it's going to get released, so do everyone a favor and stop asking will you?

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 06, 2002 04:16AM

"So here's what I want to see, does anyone remember Boglins? They were my one of my favorite toys as a kid & I'd love to see them redone. If anyone hears anything about a *new version* of Boglins, let me know."

Boglins doesn't have anything to do with the new version of K-Meleon. Oh wait, now I see, you just wanted to get peoples attention ;-)

"Because we won't hear about a new version of K-Meleon, here is about a new version of a modern browser still in development but releasing. Its the Phoenix Browser Version 0.2."

If you do a search on the archives, you will notice that Phoenix has already been mentioned and discussed. Basically Phoenix is just another Mozilla varient, and suffers from the same XUL memory hog as Mozilla.

As for the whacked out conspiracy theory rant about developer's being geeks getting revenge on the users and making them wait, I think I'll just leave that one well enough alone. The reality is, the developers of K-Meleon are just ironing out the bugs on the latest beta 0.65, and 0.7 will be ready in due course. The reason for the slowness stems from the *fact* that the developers do in fact lead quite normal lives, and they work on K-Meleon when they find the time.

Date: October 06, 2002 06:51AM

To "_": I wasn't asking for a K-Meleon. If you read around, you'll find I'm in no hurry to get a new version of the browser, the one I have is just fine. Also, I too, am a geek.

Al, it's good to see someone around here actually reads a thread before they reply. It's even better to find out that somoene here has a sense of humor.

Posted by: firebird
Date: October 09, 2002 05:39AM

"All that matters is, it's their game, their rules, their bat and ball."

quite a boring game, this new gamed, called "Phoenix", is much more exciting in my opinion.. before you bitch about the size, read the FAQ's and remember it's 0.2

http://mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html#FAQ

Date: October 09, 2002 06:24AM

"quite a boring game, this new gamed, called "Phoenix", is much more exciting in my opinion.. before you bitch about the size, read the FAQ's and remember it's 0.2"

Well if this is such a boring game, why are you here then?

Date: October 09, 2002 09:26AM

From the Phoenix FAQ:

Phoenix has many files that override those in Mozilla, but it also has a new set of files. These files render a ton of files in Mozilla unnecessary, but we haven't yet stopped packaging the old files. For example, we still build and ship with Mozilla's form manager, even though we now have Satchel, its lighter replacement. We also still contain a lot of Mozilla's chrome (front end) files, even though we have our own. Please also note that 0.2 contains talkback, while 0.1 did not, and it's still about a megabyte smaller. We expect to be able to hit 6 MB.

Their goal of 6 MB isn't enormous for a browser, but why don't they remove the vestigial files? Does K-Meleon do this too? I've noticed there seems to be some file in the K-Meleon directories that look suspiciously worthless.

Al, you said it! It's like these *other* browser users have a personal vested interest in swaying our opinion & luring us away from our browser of preference. What gives?

Date: October 09, 2002 05:15PM

You said this is a lean, lightweight browser, but it's over 7MB! I laugh at your silly lies!

Take it easy, sport. Phoenix has many files that override those in Mozilla, but it also has a new set of files. These files render a ton of files in Mozilla unnecessary, but we haven't yet stopped packaging the old files. For example, we still build and ship with Mozilla's form manager, even though we now have Satchel, its lighter replacement. We also still contain a lot of Mozilla's chrome (front end) files, even though we have our own. Please also note that 0.2 contains talkback, while 0.1 did not, and it's still about a megabyte smaller. We expect to be able to hit 6 MB.

Date: October 09, 2002 05:16PM

grrr, lol..

Phoenix is getting bloated. I knew it would happen.

Phoenix is not getting bloated. Its download size is going down, for one thing. As stated earlier, the time to do the heavy lifting, feature work and redesign is early in the development cycle. That's where we are now -- this is 0.2, folks!

The simplicity of Phoenix's UI has not been compromised in 0.2. The only new thing you'll notice is the addition of a search bar, and we're just experimenting -- who knows if it will be there by default in 1.0? The code for the sidebar itself was about ten lines. The extensions "manager" (really just a tab in a pref panel) is not bloat -- in fact, we're working so hard to support extensions to reduce bloat. Without extensions support, we'd be pressured to include the add-ons in the default build. And, finally, Satchel replaces Mozilla's bloated and complicated form manager.

Date: October 09, 2002 05:18PM

"Al, you said it! It's like these *other* browser users have a personal vested interest in swaying our opinion & luring us away from our browser of preference. What gives?"

better than to do nothing.. maybe the new competition motivates the KM team to finally release a new version TO THE PUBLIC, after more than one year.......

Date: October 09, 2002 09:15PM

"better than to do nothing.. maybe the new competition motivates the KM team to finally release a new version TO THE PUBLIC, after more than one year......."

Yeah but K-Meleon and Phoenix are not competing products, nor is Mozilla. I mean, the engine (Gecko) for these browsers is coded by the same people more or less (at Mozilla.org). K-Meleon is really just a part-time project (you could say hobby) for the developers involved, not a "release-by-numbers to satisfy their share-holders or market share" type project.

That aside, you should tune into the developers list forum to see what's really going on behind the scenes.

Date: October 09, 2002 10:35PM

Or better still, give the latest beta build a test run:
http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/beta/kmeleon065-beta.exe
btw, do not click on Print Preview ;-)

Date: October 09, 2002 11:03PM

I know the beta's, and I like really it, I used KM for some months, however, whats the point in making a big party "behind the scenes", where the average Joe will never go to? :|

Date: October 10, 2002 12:58AM

"I know the beta's, and I like really it, I used KM for some months, however, whats the point in making a big party "behind the scenes", where the average Joe will never go to? :|"

There aren't that many open source projects around which are quite as easily accessible as the K-Meleon project is. Goodness knows that with some of them, unless you are actually a developer then you really aren't welcome to get involved as much.

The Phoenix project is an interesting example, for example. I've looked around some different websites for information pertaining to the project itself, and from what I've read, the Phoenix project itself is very much along the lines of doing it for developers mainly, to see how they can alter and change the Mozilla/Gecko interface and infrastructure. And very much like Mozilla, it doesn't come off as sounding like a polished end-user product. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing stopping ordinary every day users such as yourself from downloading and using Phoenix, however there isn't even a facility in place (like a forum or newsgroup), for end-user input into the Phoenix browser development. But who knows, if enough people start using it, they *may* set something up similar to what they have with Mozilla (newsgroups).

As for K-Meleon's behind the scenes development, well initially it can come off as appearing that way, however usually whenever there's a new beta released, the announcement is made, and people are invited to download it and report back bugs. In fact, the latest beta has proven to be very popular, and there are some significant bugs being squashed. The end result is 0.7 will be a fairly robust release, and I guess the developers wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted by: Ominx
Date: October 10, 2002 03:11AM

I'm just curious why this 0.7 release is being developed as if it were 1.0. I'm just not sure I understand the rationale. Pre-1.0 releases are expected to have bugs, that's why they haven't yet reached the 1.0 status. If the devs were polishing off a 0.9 release, getting it perfected for a 1.0 release then I would understand the delay. But that isn't the case. This is 0.7 they're working on.

Date: October 10, 2002 04:38PM

You're right, Ominx, I've been wondering the same thing. I guess maybe they just want to ensure it won't have anything so nasty that it's known to cause serious damage. Anybody know for sure?

Posted by: Tin
Date: October 12, 2002 08:00PM

K-Meleon has missed the boat, lazy assed developers thinking that every thread in here begging for a new release makes them like some sort of programming god.
Moz and Phoenix have taken such a share that you will never recoup it.
How the hell can Moz release nightly builds yet you have released one new version in nearly a year?

Date: October 12, 2002 09:49PM

Some of us are in no hurry, guy.

Posted by: sven
Date: October 13, 2002 07:01AM

Wtf? Wtf user share?

Some of you guys still don't get it, do you? Moz/Phnx/KM share the same rendering engine - Gecko. Thats what matters. All those browsers are merely skins to Gecko engine. Who cares which skin you like to use? If you don't like KM use something else. Whats the big f**king problem? Are you going to fight over desktop wallpapers too? "Hey, you haven't upgraded your wallpaper for months! You are bad, very bad man! You are stupid and lazy!"

Fighting over KM/Moz is like fighting over gift wrapping paper. So what that you like yellow with red dots on it? I like plain white and thats it. Who do you think you are to come here to put me down just because I like plain paper? Is it like some freudian stuff that keeps you trolling here?

Date: October 13, 2002 01:20PM

Okay, sven, everything's gonna be fine. No casualties here, we're all gonna be okay. What do you say we let a few hostages go?

Posted by: a year is too long
Date: October 13, 2002 03:42PM

the last version released was a year ago.. don't you think something a bit fishy is going on.. winking smiley.. maybe there will be a nice surprise coming out of that

Posted by: ThatDude
Date: October 14, 2002 12:51AM

I say F... these lazy smartass devs here.I personaly will not ever download K- I have been amusing myself with they're forums though and just more amused as a year has gone by and nothing,I have found it quite amusing just to come read these forums and see what smart ass remarks these lazy kid jerk devs have to say.And I don't say I'm not going to ever download K-meleon when the next release is ever released as I think they would be bothered by it I just simply have Moz, Phoenix, that have real developers.I would'nt even consider using a program any program developed by a few lazy smart assed devs like this project has, If ya want to call em devs.I think they are as full of @!#$ as a christmas turkey.I know that the K is as good as the devs and thats enough for me to know it will never touch my pc.And afer reading these forums it should tell a lot of people that there wasting time waiting on under developed memory sucking K. It sucks memory bigtime and allways will.It allmost sucks more than the devs.I think the only thing alive here is this forum and I am making a oath to never post to a thread no matter how much I may want to because it is the way they watch to see if there @!#$ is dead yet or not and as far as I'm concerned its been dead.

So on that I will I promise you devs you will never hear another word from me ever again and thats a guarnteed promise.So long.

Date: October 14, 2002 01:58AM

"So on that I will I promise you devs you will never hear another word from me ever again and thats a guarnteed promise.So long."

Do we dare to dream... is this time for real!
Nah probably not. :-(

Posted by: cough drop
Date: October 14, 2002 10:30PM

lmao.. sven... thatdude... kiddies.. install a better forum with ban controls

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.