General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why does kmeleon want to be a server?
Posted by: A user
Date: January 01, 2001 10:43AM

Firewall asks if we want it to. Answering "no" is fine, but why does it try?

When refusing both server and Internet access, I tried to open an HTML file and Kmeleon freezes.
Maybe of some interest to you.

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Why does kmeleon want to be a server?
Posted by: suppafly
Date: January 10, 2001 03:05AM

doubt it wants to be a server.. its probably just trying to send and receive stuff like a browser is supposed to..

RE: Why does kmeleon want to be a server?
Posted by: Mark Casey
Date: January 19, 2001 12:46PM

I believe the guy was referring to a Windows firewall called Zonealarm, its very useful in detecting programs which are trojans and that sort of thing, although it isn't the best thing to have when you come under a DoS attack.

Zonealarm itself is able to detect when a program is wanting to act as a server, to say for example. serve files and so forth, with programs like IE and Netscape the only time they are wanting to act as servers is when FTP'ing what i am guessing is that K-Meleon is just wanting to act as a server straight away instead of IE or Netscape only wanting to act as a server when you connect to an FTPD.

My advice is, allow it to access the internet on Zonealarm (the tick boxes for `Local` and `Internet` and don't click on the tick box for server, unless you are wanting to connect to a ftp server in which cause tick it.)

I guess i should do a netstat or something to see if K-Meleon is reporting to some dastardly unknown server like NS6 does with trying to connect to a AOL server when you first start it up.

;o)

Mark

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.