General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
One of the best reasons I have today for using KM...
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: October 10, 2002 09:39PM

One among many...

One word. Bugbear.

I will kill the bastard who dreamed up this horror!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One of the best reasons I have today for using KM...
Posted by: Steven
Date: October 11, 2002 10:24AM

Your message suggests you were infected, but your topic suggests K-Meleon protected you, what actually happened? If you were infected, how did it happen? I've been hearing about this for days on Tech TV, they're making it out to be a global crisis.

Here's the facts.
Date: October 11, 2002 12:50PM

Bugbear travels in two ways; it travels through network shares(ie. an open c:\ share), and it travels through E-Mail, by using exploits in Internet Explorer and Outlook. When I installed K-Meleon, I completely removed Internet Explorer(using 98lite, but IEradicator would work for 2000), and since my network shares are closed, I am ironclad against bugbear.

Tada!

I hate how the media is saying this is the users fault -- when you buy a car, ,do you need to get it sent into the shop to fix tremendous design faults on a regualr baisis? If you didn't blame the user for the Ford Pinto, don't blame them for the Microsoft Internet Explorer!

Posted by: firebird
Date: October 11, 2002 02:28PM

i didnt know IE has actually something to do with BugBear.. on all security sites they say it's only a risk for Outlook users...

I'm using The Bat! as email client, and Norton's AV with the newest defs, so i'm not really worried.. Nimda, Klez, ILOVEYOU and all that other crap couldnt harm me, so who the @!#$ is BugBear? grinning smiley

Date: October 12, 2002 03:11AM

Bugbear can disable virus scanners. It's really quite a pain in the arse. I've been battling it for a week -- I am pleased that we don't use SMTP for our mail, or I'd be fukkukked.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.