General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
The Kmeleon Development Lists is SPAMMED!
Posted by: bongski55
Date: October 19, 2002 07:51AM

Just for everybody to know, I am posting this here.

I subscribed to the kmeleon development lists for me to keep abreast of what is going on about kmeleon. Now I am also getting "extra" email with "kmeleon dev" on the subject only to open them and find out it was this and that get rich offer! I complained about it by writing an email but it seems nobody cares on the side of whoever is moderating that list. Now there is no way for me to unsubscribe to these spam because doing so would also unsubscribe me from the km dev list.

This is a serious matter IMHO .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Kmeleon Development Lists is SPAMMED!
Posted by: ra
Date: October 19, 2002 06:07PM

Use a spam filter or spam filter program or emailaddress (despammed, etc.).

Posted by: Steven
Date: October 19, 2002 08:59PM

I agree bongski, that's a bummer. Personally, I would probably unsubscribe regardless.

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 19, 2002 09:06PM

There is really no need to subscribe to the lists anyway as the archives can be perused normally by clicking into them.

Posted by: po
Date: October 19, 2002 09:06PM

Spam is gonna happen on any active list, sooner or later, and measures to block it are always compromises. I'm aware of at least one person who is unable to post to the list owing to his (entire geo-political region's?) IP block being blacklisted.

Was there a constructive suggestion in there somewhere? smiling smiley

I have no idea how much control anyone but sourceforge has over whatever spam-diminishing measures are taken by their servers...

Posted by: CutTheRedWire
Date: October 20, 2002 05:47PM

I just checkede the archive, and the spam is IN the archive!!!! HA! This is clearly a problem. A lot of the things sent out recenty seem to have nothing to do with k-meleon. They need to get this sorted out.

I don't get spam because of how I manage my accounts. I have a pricvate one that is never posted, and public one to post and be spammed, and a list one to change periodically if it gets spammed. Point being that spam doesn't have to be a fact of life.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: October 20, 2002 10:55PM

Hmmm, well, yes, and the only property upkeep a nomad has to worry about is tent mending. Spam IS a fact of life, whether you sit and take it or run from one emaill address to another. I use alternates somewhat (including using spammers' addresses on some occasions) but my main protections are 1. Enter an email address only if I absolutely have to 2. Check my main account with Mailwasher, which sorts it all out and bounces crap too.
Poop happens.

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 21, 2002 02:07AM

The spam problem with the developers mailing list has probably originated the way it usually does: spambots combing the website, as they do, picked up the developers forum email address from here: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kmeleon-dev
It's clearly displayed there, so that's all the info a spambot needs, and then off it goes. That's why it's best not to display an unmunged email address clearly on a website like that ;-)

Posted by: Rob
Date: October 29, 2002 05:35AM

blame the developers because the list gets spam? moron. the developers arent sending you spam, theyre getting it themselves. the spam is being sent to the list and:

A: it's less than 1 per day
B: the more filtering you do the more likely you are to eliminate valid posts
C: bitch at sourceforge
D: you could press the delete key 300 times in the time it took you to write this frivilous complaint

This is not a "serious matter" as you put it. This is the internet. Spam happens.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.