General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Favourites in Alphanumeric order!
Posted by: Nick
Date: October 27, 2002 01:42PM

OK< with 6.0 my Favourite where in Alphanumeric order, but since I upgraded to 6.5 there where all over the show.

I then attempted to find out in what order and why they where in it.

It turns out, it is NOT the file date stamp that controls this, but rather the TIME the the URL file was PUT into the favourites folder!!!

So, I tried copying them to a..n.other drive, deleting all in the favourites folder, and moving them back again...

Alas, bloody Windows explorer doesn't move the files in a logical order, so they still are not in the correct Alphanumeric order.

***Brainwave***

OK, what I done was ftp the whole lot to one of my Linux boxes. FTP moves the sub-folders/files - files Alphanumerically! and then empty my favourites folder and FTP'ed them back again.

ALL SORTED smiling smiley

One gotcha though! If the shortcut URL file (the actual CONTENTS, not the shortcut) is toooooooo long, FTP will bomb out (max 256 Chars?)...

Hope that helps some of you that want to 'sort' this minor annoyance.

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favourites in Alphanumeric order!
Date: October 27, 2002 01:46PM

Oppps. My grammar and spelling is all over the show:

where = were

And yes, favourites does have a 'u' :-)

Nick

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: October 27, 2002 03:02PM

That's a damned amazing workaround. You should get an award. And I thought I had some weird ones! LOL But my faves (poor u-less things) got sorted strangely by old number 6 too. The links all in order, but the folders... duh. I keep trying, but I got no 'nix. smiling smiley

Date: October 27, 2002 03:16PM

I don't think it Linux that sorts it, just the FTP. So FTP to somewhere and then delete the local favourites, and FTP back again. You will find it sorts folders also.

NIck

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: October 27, 2002 03:33PM

Hmm, might be worth a try. I have the same odd folder (dis)order in 0.65, and the links - yechhh. I have othe small issues with the toolbars... maybe Ill just see how the next one goes.

Posted by: po
Date: November 03, 2002 03:26AM

I was curious about this, so i actually loaded the Favorites plugin, created some Favorites, and then observed that they listed in the menu in the order in which they were saved... using 2xExplorer i copied the Favorites to another directory, deleted the contents of the Favorites folder, and then copied them back... this seems to have left them in alphanumerical order in the menu... but i'm not sure what affect it would have on their appearance in exploder... anyway, it might be an easier alternative to FTP transfer for some people, if it does indeed do what is being asked for...

Posted by: Coconut Crab
Date: November 03, 2002 06:38AM

Po it worked. You're a magician!

Coco

Posted by: bongski55
Date: November 03, 2002 11:08AM

Po, it worked thanks!

I wonder if it would also work using the windows explorer instead. well this is a work around so perhaps it can be done automatically in future km versions?

Date: November 03, 2002 11:12AM

Ha I thought this issue is done but if you ADD favorites then every additional item will be at the bottom of the list. So it seemes too tedious to do the work around everytimen you add to favorites.
So much for the work around!

Posted by: po
Date: November 03, 2002 11:19AM

You'd have to do it periodically, and i suppose a batch file would spoil the magic? Yeah, it's a kludgy solution, for sure, but any maintenance-free fix would have to be built into the Favorites plugin, AFAIK...

Date: November 03, 2002 12:13PM

Using that 2eExplorer to move and then replace works for me to! Strange how Windows Explorer doesn't move them in a true alphanumerical order isn't it? Well perhaps not...

So, where is this 'hidden' time stamp of 'creation' in the folder (not file time stamp!!!) info that KM uses to be found within the Windows sub-system?

Nick

Date: November 04, 2002 05:35AM

Also works using cut and paste i.e. windows explorer for me.

I have seen the favorites plugin source -a bit complicated for a favorite plugin -no comment lines on the procedures. It will take time to modify.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.