General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why I LIKE infrequent updates!!!
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: October 27, 2002 06:49PM

For me, a browser is a tool, not a way of life.
Every time I (re-)install K-M, I have to make sure I save and replace all the little homey comforts I have fixed it up with. Always forget where/what half of it all is, too, heehee.
To learn the new critter's peculiar habits all over again, find new fixes and workarounds for the quirks I don't like, and learn to live with the ones I can't fix (lol, as if I could leave bad enough alone) too often would be a pain. Takes me some months to get around to every detail, so T.G. there isn't a new version out every few weeks. smiling smiley)
Keep up the moderate pace.
Love ya,
Arual the Patient (and lazy)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why I LIKE infrequent updates!!!
Posted by: Ublis
Date: October 27, 2002 07:29PM

If a new version appears every few weeks, noboy forces you to update, do they? But other people like frequent versions and they can't download often if things are not released often.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: October 27, 2002 08:37PM

Well, I guess iff you have nothing better to do... scuze me, I gotta go feed the cat.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: October 28, 2002 10:19AM

> Every time I (re-)install K-M, I have to make sure I save and replace all the little homey comforts I have fixed it up with. Always forget where/what half of it all is, too, heehee.

That sounds to me more like K-Mel is in desperate need of a much better method for saving customization.
Reinstalling a new version of a browser should never nuke your settings, that is a flaw in program/installation.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 28, 2002 01:56PM

Stefan,

I think Arual is referring to the customizations. Unfortunately, due to the dynamic nature of our pre 1.0 development, changes in the structure of the configuration files means that those used for 0.6 just can't be imported into the next version. We have a guide that outlines the tweaks.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: October 28, 2002 02:22PM

Yes, I understand that currently keeping stuff fixed would hinder develpment.
I'm just posting a response to original poster view that it's a good thing there are so few releases becuse it's so difficoult to update.

The goal in the longrun should obviusly be to make updates as easy as possible, not be happy about that it's difficoult grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.