General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Release Candidate 1
Posted by: Jeff
Date: October 30, 2002 06:41AM

If you'd like to help test the release candidate, please grab the build here, and report all feedback to the developers' mailing list.

All tests and reports will be very appreciated, we need to stress test this a bit.

I'm specifically interested in hearing experiences installing this build on top of an existing .6 build (please make a backup first, I wouldn't want anyone to loose data if things should go wrong).

Thanks,

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Release Candidate 1
Posted by: ra
Date: October 30, 2002 10:42PM

Overall a nice build so far (stress testing it for a few hours now, kept my profile from the last beta build).

- Still seeing re-paint problems

- Lots of windows are stealing focus when they actually start loading (js is enabled). - If I choose to open links in background they jump in front of my current window and resize themselves (I'm using maximized windows, always). Kinda old, but annoying bug-feature.

- If one opens a link in a new window (or background window) the url bar of this window stays empty till the page starts loading. Not very good, because you *can't reload* if the page does not start loading (timout, etc.).

- I have been getting "connection refused" dialogs lately, that have not been there with the last betas. Please change back whatever was changed and is causing this problem again (occurs if there are many open windows, e.g. 30 - to different servers, of course). BTW: Only completely closing k-m helped... If you do not close k-m completely but only a few windows this problem (box) will creep up very fast again. K-M crashed after closing the last window. I'm going to try to repro the problem tomorrow, no time left now, sorry.

P.S.: Can you please put keyboard & mouse-combos plus auto-complete on top of the list for .8? :-) All big browsers do have this two features, only k-m, my favorite one, lacks them... ;-(

Date: October 30, 2002 11:00PM

I have to add something to the stealing focus problem:

The windows are *not* getting *resized* by k-m if I just click to bring them to the front before the site starts loading (they are still maximized) and then go back to my original site. (The difference is that the window is now maximized in the *back* and *not minimized* in the taskbar - IMO "open in background" should be changed to that way if it is at all possible.) - But focus will still be grabbed. :-( This also happens if I open an image in a background window - so there is no HTML-Code that could be grabbing focus (=> either a k-m or a mozilla problem).

Another thing:

Open an imge (k-m logo on the left, etc.) in a new window, wait till it has finished loading then hold your mouse pointer over the image and read the description...

Ah, and I just hit cancel before I submitted my text, afterwards the "Post"-Button was disabled?! Don't remember that this problem has been there before...

Date: October 30, 2002 11:03PM

Oops and sorry for the second and third time for not reporting the bugs to the dev-list.

Posted by: Lucas
Date: October 31, 2002 12:41AM

I have Windows XP Professional Dutch SP 1.
I have a AMD Atlon 1400 512 RAM and a MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4400.

Installation crashen K-Meleon is still open. My loader was open, and the installer didn't do anything when being at "Installing files".

When unloaded the loader, the installer worked. The installer should give a warning or automaticaly close it... But I thing that you figured that out yourself smiling smiley

I have installed over 0.6. Everything was still there. My homepage, my proxy-settings, but there was my localhost filled in whitch I didn't in 0.6. But I think this is positive smiling smiley
Every setting was still there.
I couldn't choose any identity browser in the privacy-tab...
My bookmarks were still there. It was made by the Netscape plugin. I didn't install the IE favourites and the Opera plugins, only the Netscape bookmark.

So I think this is quite positive, except for the installer.

I haven't installed K-Meleon itselfs. I not that good in beta-testing. And I must go to bed now smiling smiley

Thanks for the good work!!!

Posted by: Robb
Date: October 31, 2002 12:47AM

Sorry, but I really don't like the idea of sending email blindly into a list I'm not subscribed to. If any of the developers read this and find what I have to say of interest, I hope they will forward this to the developers' list.

As Jeff requested, I installed RC1 over an existing 0.60 installation. When asked if I wanted to keep my existing profile, I answered yes. I don't recommend this! All existing .cfg files were retained. As a result, although I had layers enabled (and the layers toolbar was visible), there was no way to access layers, as the menus and accel cfg files didn't contain any provisions for layers. However, right clicking on the one layer button did produce an interesting result: it removed all content from the page window.

Doing a re-install over the already installed RC1, and choosing not to keep existing profiles, fixed everything nicely.

One interesting side-effect of the first installation attempt was that the standard Windows accelerator keys (alt-F to open the file menu, etc.) worked. They have not worked in any of the previous 0.65 betas I've tried. (I suspect this is either a known bug or a quirk on my system.) After re-installing, they did not work. A little experimentation determined that it's the Rebar Menu plugin that interferes with the accelerator keys. I'm now much happier with that plugin disabled!

This is on Win ME, P3, 192MB RAM.

Posted by: Chris Granger
Date: October 31, 2002 11:22AM

Hmm, this build crashed my computer (Win95, 233MHz, 96Mcool smiley almost instantly. As soon as the scrollbar is moved, everything freezes (must Alt-Ctrl-Del and reboot). I had the same problem with Phoenix so I guess the problem is Mozilla-related. Version 0.6 build 547 worked very nicely by the way.

Date: October 31, 2002 09:51PM

follow up on my posts, now using .7rc2:

- repaint problems: up to 95% fixed

- open in background/stealing focus: fixed

- url bar in new windows: still empty till the page starts loading.

- couldn't repro the connection refused thing, so i assume it was some problem on my side or it has been fixed.

- image description bug still there (minor).

- cookies dialog is messed up the way it has been reported to the dev-list (size is wrong and setting default does not work).

- problem with the "post"-button and hitting cancel on the submit-dialog (are you sure...?) still there.

- apart from that and the skins stuff (see my report in the bugs forum), a really nice build.

Posted by: Jaron
Date: November 02, 2002 05:54PM

Chris Granger, sorry but you might be out of luck. I read that the lastest version of Pheonix 0.4 does not work with Win95 because of an inherit bug from Mozilla 1.2b which K-Meleon also use.

Maybe the developer of K-Meleon will get it fix or it might be fix by the next release of Mozilla.

Posted by: David
Date: November 03, 2002 04:38PM

Nice work, gang. This intalled over my old 0.6 without a hitch (that I've found yet, I've jjust started using it :-).

One comment right away. There's no longer a Print Preview on the File menu. Is preview gone from KM entirely, or do I jjust need to add it to the menu?

On the plus side, the strange bug which caused KM to ignore Printer Setup settings seems to have been fixed.

Posted by: David
Date: November 03, 2002 06:42PM

Never mind, I got it back by editing menu config.

I guess print preview vanished because I installed over 0.6, which didn't have it. I thought I told KM to replace my old profile configs when I installed it. Maybe it didn't actually replace them, but inherited the old 0.6 settings. Or maybe I told the installer the wrong thing. In any case, it's back.

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: November 04, 2002 01:48PM

Jaron said:

> I read that the lastest version of Pheonix 0.4 does not work with Win95 because of > an inherit bug from Mozilla 1.2b which K-Meleon also use.

Happy to disagree with you here :-)
K-Meleon 0.7 runs well on my rather outdated '95 system.

Posted by: Jaron
Date: November 04, 2002 03:54PM

Klaartje, good to hear that I'm wrong. As I don't run Win95 anymore I can't confirm what I read. Do you mind giving a little more information like which version of Win95 (a,b,c), do you have IE installed (version number), Active Desktop, any other patches?

Thanks,
--Jaron.

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: November 04, 2002 08:56PM

Jaron,
Let's see... this seems to be win'95 b, with IE installed, version 5.5. No Active desktop, not much of anything else. A pretty basic little system really. Pretty stable, too...

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 04, 2002 09:33PM

The bug in Mozilla isn't in 1.2 beta. It came in the nightlies after 1.2 beta was released. It's already been fixed.

Posted by: Chris Granger
Date: November 04, 2002 09:49PM

Hmm, I wonder if I should try Mozilla 1.2 on my system then. I would be quite pleased if the next builds of K-Meleon and Phoenix both work for me.

Klaartje, glad to hear I'm not the only person still using Win95, and that K-Meleon is indeed working for you. smiling smiley I too have Win95b, and IE5.5... I've heard elsewhere that the problems I'm having are related to my ATI video card. I'm not knowledgable enough to confirm or deny, but hey, if the latest build of Mozilla works for me that may well be what's caused my crashes with K-Meleon and Phoenix (built on Mozilla 1.1 I guess).

I'll keep using K-Meleon 0.6 for the time being.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.