General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Hosts file?
Posted by: Chris Granger
Date: October 31, 2002 03:25PM

Does K-Meleon access the Hosts file the way IE does (for DNS or image blocking purposes)? Does this require any special configuration or anything?

I'm using Version 0.6 Build 547.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hosts file?
Posted by: Nick
Date: October 31, 2002 06:16PM

The hosts file is a system file, so anything that that uses Networking the hosts file entries are applied.

Nick

Date: November 01, 2002 01:30PM

Thanks. Yeah, I've been playing around with it, blocking banner ads. Trouble is, an alert box opens every time a site is blocked. Very annoying. I wonder if there's a way to prevent that...

Posted by: po
Date: November 02, 2002 01:50AM

Try the newest version. smiling smiley

Date: November 02, 2002 10:47AM

I'm afraid I'm stuck using Win95 for the time being, and 0.7 doesn't work on my machine. Soon though, soon...

0.7 has image blocking or at least a less-intrusive use of the Hosts file? Banner blocking is one thing I don't think I could do without, having used AdShield with IE for so long now. smiling smiley

Is there a line of code that can be added to the preferences file to stop the alert pop-up when a site is blocked in 0.6?

Posted by: BVV
Date: November 02, 2002 12:30PM

Perhaps eDexter can prevent the pop up message that appears after blocking ads. It is used to replace the empty boxes that occur when you use the Hosts file to block ads, but the blocked site is still not contacted.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/eDexter.html

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: November 02, 2002 04:41PM

>I'm afraid I'm stuck using Win95 for the time being, and 0.7 doesn't work on my machine.

Why is that? It runs fine om my '95 system.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 02, 2002 07:45PM

Try proxomitron.

Date: November 02, 2002 07:56PM

I'm not sure exactly why 0.7 doesn't run on my computer, but it crashes immediately after the scrollbar is moved. I had the same trouble with Phoenix. I think it's a Mozilla problem, a known conflict with ATI video cards.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice regarding eDexter and Proxomitron, guys.

Posted by: po
Date: November 02, 2002 10:52PM

There are a few threads in these forums complaining about the alert dialogs in 0.6, but i'm not sure if anyone came up with a good way of suppressing them. A search might turn something up, though, if you haven't read those threads already...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.