General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
0.7 button size
Posted by: Klaartje
Date: November 01, 2002 01:18PM

Hi,
First of all, I'm very pleased to see version 0.7 is out. Congratulations. It seems to be a fine product. And yes, it does seem faster.

In version 0.6, I installed the Galeon skin. I'd like to do the same in 0.7. I managed to get the right buttons in the right places (by renaming them), but I can't seem to get them the right size. So now I can see only a small piece of each button.
Where should I look to set my toolbar size so that it is big enough for the buttons to fit in? (Or should I set the size of the buttons themselves somewhere?) I tried prefs.js and the skin's specific version of toolbars.cfg but to no avail. I'd be very glad if someone could steer me in the right direction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0.7 button size
Posted by: sven
Date: November 01, 2002 01:56PM

It is specified in toolbars.cfg. Look where your toolbar definition starts, it should looke something like:

Tool Bar {
New {
ID_NEW_BROWSER

You can specify button size right there after toolbar name:

Tool Bar(30,30) {
New {
ID_NEW_BROWSER

... which means buttons will be 30x30px in size. Default is 16x16px which is too small for some of us folks so we use skins with bigger buttons.

Date: November 01, 2002 02:06PM

Sven,
Thank you, you're very quick.
My toolbars.cfg seems to be incomplete.

Tool Bar {
New {
ID_NEW_BROWSER

is not there! (And nothing that looks like it, either.) No toolabr names. Just button names.
I'd like to add it as that would probably solve the problem. Could you please tell me exactly what I should add?

Found it!
Date: November 01, 2002 02:13PM

I read your instuctions again and even though my toolbars.cgf doesn't look precisely the way you said, I still managed to get it right. Thanks a lot !!

Posted by: kwh
Date: November 02, 2002 01:09AM

Changing just the toolbar and button sizes results in a confusing mess since the .bmps don't scale to the new button size. I'm obviously missing something here. Suggestions?

Posted by: po
Date: November 02, 2002 02:03AM

> Suggestions?

pick a size, and stick with it! smiling smiley

the button images don't scale; you have to use the right size for the buttons in question... unfortunately, scaling the BMPs in an image viewer gives unpredicatable results, creating some not-quite-transparent magenta around the edges of things, unless you scale it as an indexed image... people creating skins should probably provide a couple of different sizes, if possible.

Posted by: Nick
Date: November 02, 2002 02:07AM

I have been told size doesn't matter... it's what you do with it.

Nick ;-)

Date: November 02, 2002 04:37AM

Gee. Thanks. ;>)

I think what I'm hearing is that if we presbyopics want larger buttons, then they (the buttons) should be just text.....?

Date: November 02, 2002 05:48AM

> I think what I'm hearing is that if we presbyopics want larger
> buttons, then they (the buttons) should be just text.....?

well, yeah... that would be the easiest way, short of creating the right size bitmaps, to grow bigger buttons without... making a mess. just comment out the image paths...

Date: November 02, 2002 10:04AM

oh, and if you just want to use the small images on larger buttons, you just change the toolbar size to whatever you want, then set each button to the actual image size, like so:

Tool Bar(32,32) {
Back(16,16) {
ID_NAV_BACK
Go back one page
toolhot.bmp[0]
toolcold.bmp[0]
tooldead.bmp[0]
}
Forward(16,16) {
ID_NAV_FORWARD
Go forward one page
toolhot.bmp[1]
toolcold.bmp[1]
tooldead.bmp[1]
}
etc.

Date: November 02, 2002 04:09PM

> oh, and if you just want to use the small images on larger buttons, you just change > the toolbar size to whatever you want, then set each button to the actual image size, > like so:

Thanks, that's what I needed. I had just changed the toolbar size. I assumed (based on the instructions at the top of the toolbar.cfg file) that that would default the buttons to the same size. Apparently that second parameter (which I assumed was the individual button size) is actually specifying the icon size. Which, now that I look at the script again, makes perfect sense. If you set any of them to another size, things get wierd pretty fast.

I guess this is just part of the problem with relying on configuration & prefs files to make changes. After you use them for awhile and get the syntax and other little quirks worked out, they're very powerful. But there is a learning curve. A bit more documentation would help here. Not complaining, just a suggestion. I know how the process works --- the docs usually get done last, if at all. ;>)

Date: November 02, 2002 07:53PM

OK, Now that my toolbar looks nice with its new skin, how do I deal with the icons that appear in the DocumentPopup window? For example, the line:

&Back = ID_NAV_BACK

displays part of the newly-installed icon from the Back button on the toolbar. But the DocumentPopup menu has no parameters for using icons or sizing anyhing. It is clearly expecting a different icon size.

Where and how does that menu item and/or the ID_NAV_BACK function get the reference to the new icon I just stuck on the toolbar?

Date: November 02, 2002 10:49PM

If you look in the skins\default directory, you'll see a few new files that might explain things, and might be missing in older imported profiles, particularly menuicons.cfg... it should always refer to 16x16 images... i can see some problems with it integrating with skins now... i keep the bitmapmenu plugin disabled, so i never noticed before. Probably the whole 'skins' concept is going to be a little wonky in this release, with all the newly-apparent problems ironed out in the next one, hopefully.

Date: November 02, 2002 11:37PM

Thanks again. Guess I missed the Bitmapped Menu plugin in the list. Turning it off solves the problem. Well, at least the partial icons are gone.

Again, the lack of documentation makes this all a trial-and-error process sometimes. Thanks for the info.

Date: November 02, 2002 11:57PM

Well, that just begs a mention of the skeletal documentation project at

http://kmeleon.freewebsites.com/

which could certainly benefit from the attention of some dedicated doc writers.

any takers?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.