General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why write a new language for macros?
Posted by: Tom
Date: November 06, 2002 03:08AM

I'm wondering why you've chosen to write a brand-new scripting langauge for K-Meleon, when you already have a well developed, popular and flexible one anyway - namely Javascript.

Couldn't you just make a few objects only accessible to macro scripts, and be done with it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why write a new language for macros?
Posted by: rmn
Date: November 06, 2002 08:21AM

>Couldn't you just make a few objects only accessible to macro scripts, and be done with it?

I think that's what the current macro language is. You can't do setpref, togglepref, id (for KM-specific instructions), plugin, and exec by only using JavaScript.

If you're talking about prompt, substr, statusbar, and $(Link/Frame)URL, maybe they're only made to simplify our codes because, by the way, I think there is currently no easy way to "communicate" between macros and JS. Someone has mentioned about using the clipboard as a global "variable", but I don't know if that's possible.

Re: Why write a new language for macros?
Posted by: po
Date: November 06, 2002 08:41AM

Ideally, i think the macro language should be a mixture of high- and low-level stuff specifically suited to it's purpose... it's gotten pretty decent in that respect since the 0.6 release... i don't *think* javascript would serve well, but i'm not really qualified to say... at any rate, the js library is pretty massive, and usually never gets loaded while i'm browsing, so i don't consider it inefficient, myself. winking smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.