General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
"?" operator in URL bar for searches, 0.7?
Posted by: Steven
Date: November 12, 2002 08:47AM

Using a question mark in the "address bar" of IE to run a search query is one of the few features I miss in KM. Is there an easy way to set this up now that we have 0.7?

Clicking an extra button to open a new prompt just to reveal another input form seems silly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "?" operator in URL bar for searches, 0.7?
Posted by: Robert
Date: November 12, 2002 06:13PM

Try the key strg+g.

Posted by: po
Date: November 12, 2002 10:44PM

You can do it a little differently than IE, if you really don't like popping up another input (i don't see why this is 'silly', though...) by hitting a key-combo other than Enter after putting terms in the URL bar, which will execute a macro instead of attempting to resolve the terms as a URL... or, you can make a macro that actually inserts the search URL into the URL field, with the caret in place for you to just type your terms after it - i did it that way before the prompt() function was available in macros.

If any of those ideas appeal, but you need more specific examples of how to implement it, i'm sure someone will be willing to help. smiling smiley

Posted by: Steven
Date: November 13, 2002 03:06AM

That's a great idea, po! I have no experience with macros, otherwise I would have already done SOMETHING to solve this situation.

How about a macro that uses a Shift & Enter combo to send my query to Google? That would be ideal, even better than the "?" operator. Anyone have any idea how I might do that?

By the way, it seems silly to me, po, because there's already a perfectly suitable input form just waiting for me up there, why open another one? I know I'm anal about things like that, but you have to admit, I picked the right browser for someone like me.

Posted by: po
Date: November 13, 2002 06:50AM

i'm not sure you could bind it to Shift+Enter, but the macro would be something like this in macros.cfg:

search {
$tmp = getclipboard();
id(ID_SELECT_URL);
id(ID_EDIT_COPY);
open("http://www.google.com/search?&q="; . getclipboard());
setclipboard($tmp);
}

or some variation on that theme, using whatever search engine you like, and using opennew() instead of open() if you want the results in a new window... you would then bind the macro to a key combo in accel.cfg... the syntax is pretty obvious when you look at what's already there, but i don't think you can use the Enter key.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.