General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
To K-Meleon Or Not To K-Meleon
Posted by: Spenser
Date: November 14, 2002 05:17PM

I have used IE, Opera, Netscape,and Mozilla browsers in the past and I was thinking of downloading K-Meleon and giving it a chance to see if all the hype was true. But after reading the bug and general post on this site now I am not too sure I want to. Seems to me that there is alot of problems with this release that need to be addressed. Did anyone mention SP1!!! Maybe when more of the bugs are fixed I might give it a try. Good luck to all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To K-Meleon Or Not To K-Meleon
Posted by: Ammar
Date: November 14, 2002 05:19PM

Haven't come across a single bug yet. Which bugs are you talking about?

Posted by: Stefan
Date: November 14, 2002 06:33PM

I would say that K-Mel is certainly both stable and worth a download. All browsers have quirks (there is no such thing as bugfree software), and K-Mel is probably less buggy then most other things out there.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 14, 2002 06:47PM

Spenser,

There are known bugs. Most people won't ever realize that they are there but if it affects you, it can be a major issue. Plus, most of the "bugs" are either requests for enhancements or bugs in Mozilla that we are tracking but that we can not necessarily fix immediately.

Posted by: Andrew G
Date: November 14, 2002 06:59PM

Download and install it,you have nothing to loose,it's free and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Nick
Date: November 14, 2002 07:37PM

I recommend it. The bugs reported are from seasoned beta testers on the bleeding edge.

KM is really superb now with release 7.0

Nick

Posted by: F.P.
Date: November 15, 2002 05:01AM

There are bugs, all right. I had no time to check if they are on the list, but I can come with two of them:personal toolbars still cannot be managed, and forget about the Hotlist. Now, I found problems with Print Preview. It is a small download, so I consider K-meleon worth looking at, but in this form, not worth keeping, unless a fix comes out in the next two to three months.

Posted by: C
Date: November 15, 2002 05:27AM

Don't take other people's word for it, why don't you just test it yourself?

Posted by: Spenser
Date: November 16, 2002 03:18PM

I am basing my opinion on all of the post I have read on the K-Meleon Bug Page. There seems to be alot of them. I know nothing is perfect but one does become a bit nervous when you see so many post. I thank all who have responded to my post and I again only wish the K_Meleon team good luck. More choices means only good things for all of us!!!

Posted by: Stefan
Date: November 16, 2002 03:35PM

> I am basing my opinion on all of the post I have read on the K-Meleon Bug Page.

That only reflect the nature of Open Source development vs the normal closed and hidden bugreporting of comercial projects.
That bugs get reported in a way that everybody can see them is excatly why all reaserch in the matter has shown that Open Source software is LESS buggy then compairable software developed in a closed enviroment. If every problem found is "common knowledge" fixes are likely to appear much faster (possibly even by a usersubmitted patch).

In short, don't be afraid of reported bugs, it's a good thing, becuse it implies a generally less buggy software then if the bugs where hidden from you smiling smiley

Posted by: C
Date: November 17, 2002 08:40AM

Basing your opinion on the opinion of others? Its like buying a car because the salesman says it good. But you haven't even gone for a testdrive.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.