General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
a couple questions
Posted by: np
Date: November 16, 2002 12:19AM

I'm really liking this browser, but I feel stupid and have a couple problems I'm hoping someone can help me address.

First: how can I change the color that links I have already clicked on appear? I don't care what color, just so long as I can discern what links I've already seen from those I haven't (this is necessary in forums).

Also, how come when I create a new layer it never has a status bar appear at the bottom until I change to another layer and then back? I think I read somewhere about getting a newer version of the layers plugin but I can't find that anywhere...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a couple questions
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 16, 2002 12:41AM

np,

You need to enable visited links. See here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/khistfiles.htm

Posted by: Alan
Date: November 16, 2002 12:44AM

You can download the latest layers.dll plugin from here:

http://kmeleon.freewebsites.com/layers.dll

Info about what's new, amongst several other things, can be found here:

http://kmeleon.freewebsites.com/

-Alan

Date: November 16, 2002 01:09AM

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. The problem with the new layer not showing the status bar persists, but it isn't that much of a problem. The "visited links" thing works pretty well, but it doesn't always show links as visited (seems to have trouble with strange sized/colored links). I don't care though, k-meleon is great. Thanks.

Date: November 16, 2002 01:20AM

"The problem with the new layer not showing the status bar persists"

That's odd.

I'm using a less than the latest layers plugin from 11/01 and the status bar shows just fine when I create a new layer.

-Alan

Date: November 16, 2002 02:42AM

Really? I wonder what would have changed... It isn't a problem in functionality because switching back to the original layer and then the newer one brings the status bar back. Just a bit annoying because I can't see the progress of a page loading in a brand new tab without looking at a different one first, but compared to the problems with browsers like phoenix that is absolutely nothing.

Date: November 16, 2002 03:36AM

Yeah, it's hard to have an answer for that one without having experienced it myself.

Since I don't know anything regarding your systems specs, a possible suggestion might be to check what version of comctl32.dll you have and, if it's old/outdated, to update it.

The version on the box I'm posting from is 5.50.4916.400

-Alan

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 16, 2002 05:01AM

np,

Regarding this:

"The "visited links" thing works pretty well, but it doesn't always show links as visited (seems to have trouble with strange sized/colored links)."

You might see CSS that overrides your visited links option, like on this web site.

Date: November 16, 2002 06:30AM

Alan - where is that file located? Windows search is being ridiculous and crashing explorer (gotta love it) and I've never heard of that file before.

Alex - yes you are right, I realized that shortly after posting. Thanks for clearing it up!

Date: November 16, 2002 06:57AM

Also Alan, I don't know what of my system specs would be of use (I assume you are referring more to software than hardware). If there is anything I can tell you that might help please let me know, I really appreciate you continuing to try and help me.

Date: November 16, 2002 07:02AM

"where is that file located?"

If your running Win9X/ME (and it sounds like you are running one of those) then it would be in your \windows\system directory. Otherwise, if you are running WinNT/Win2K/WinXP it would be in your \windows\system32 directory.

Once you find the file, comctl32.dll, right-click on it, and select properties from the context menu. A dialog will pop-up. Click the 'Version' tab then in the listbox under 'Item Name' select 'Product Version'.

-Alan

Date: November 16, 2002 07:10AM

Oh yeah, almost forgot

Here's a link to a newer comctl32.dll to download and install if you end up needing to do so:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/Comctl32/5.80.2614.3600/W9XNT4/EN-US/50comupd.exe

-Alan

Date: November 16, 2002 07:29AM

Hmmm. I do have the latest version of that file (5.82.2800.1106, even newer than yours). So would that file not be the cause? I guess it seems to be a problem only I am experiencing. I was hoping it was a common issue with a simple solution like the visited links =p

Date: November 16, 2002 07:33AM

This is beyond strange. Immediately after that post the problem went away. My status bar seems to be here for good. I have no idea why. I did try to install that file you suggested, but it just said the windows common controls were up to date, so I don't know that it did anything (and the version file I posted was obtained before I ran the .exe). I'm perplexed. But very happy it is working!

Now I just need to learn to write macros... I love this browser but miss the quicksearch capabilities of phoenix/mozilla(?). Typing g <search term> for google or ph <search term> for switchboard.com, etc. is irreplaceable. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for all your help!

Date: November 16, 2002 07:39AM

ah nevermind, still not fixed (kinda sporadic now). Oh well it doesn't affect performance. Still thank you!

Date: November 16, 2002 03:22PM

I figured it out. If I open a new layer in any non-maximized form I get the status bar bug. If I open it when the window is maximized, no bug!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.