General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Java Plug in
Posted by: Brad Schilling
Date: December 17, 2002 09:58PM

I can't seem to get the Java Plugin to work. My home page keeps telling me to get a plug in and it goes and gets Sun Java. But nothing happens. I did the same thing with Phoenix and it installed itself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Java Plug in
Posted by: Bob MacLean
Date: December 17, 2002 11:55PM

I have a similar problem except that it keeps telling me I can't use the Netscape java plugin with the IE setup and that I should change the plugins but I can't find any way of doing it - anybody got a clue?

Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 18, 2002 12:04AM

Brad: Did you download and install the JRE from Sun?

Bob: Did you change the Browser ID in Privacy? Java will only work with the Default setting.

Posted by: Brad Schilling
Date: December 18, 2002 03:12PM

I have that problem to.

Posted by: Greg
Date: December 28, 2002 03:21AM

Same problem here.
KM is set to the defaults.
Sites with Java either tell me I need to enable Java in Netscape or to get the plugin.
I have the plugin installed and working with Phoenix and Mozilla.
If this quirk can be resolved, I'll be using KM all the time.

Date: December 28, 2002 03:31AM

Greg,

Can you provide some example sites?

Posted by: Greg
Date: December 28, 2002 06:40AM

Well, I would, but it seems I'm the victim of an RTFM or Oops-didnt-check-that-setting ..more likely it is the 19 inch error (the problem is sitting 19 inches from the monitor, also known as PEBKAC).
/me prepares for lashing...
There are is one site that I recall wouldnt say anyting but "you need to enable Java in Netscape" but it's not a vitally important site to me. Everything else i go to, like my bank (why a bank insists on java for its navigation links, is beyond me), works fine and I'm happy.
Is there a possibility of some sites being Microsoft-Java specific? Wouldnt surprise me...but maybe that will change with the newest ruling....

Posted by: Hugo
Date: December 28, 2002 11:58AM

...(the problem is sitting 19 inches from the monitor, also known as PEBKAC)..

PEBKAC ... I can't figure it out .. Person Entirely Beyond ..No. What is that? This problably means that me be PEBKAC as well .. heh? /H

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: December 28, 2002 10:32PM

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :-)

Posted by: Hugo
Date: December 28, 2002 11:10PM

Oudezieds vorburgswaal, thanks K! ;-)

Posted by: vesselle
Date: January 20, 2003 02:51AM

so no help? i'm completely stumped. have the JRE installed, default on browser recognition, and STILL everytime i go to any page with java, i'm auto sent the Netscape plugin page with the download for Java 1.4 whatever.

i've tried dling THAT version and installing it but STILL no java.

this page is one i use a lot lately because of morrowind.

http://www.m0use.net/~uesp/morrow/map/mw_map.shtml

thanks.

V***V

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 20, 2003 12:33PM

This is strange. It works on some java pages and others it doesn't.

Go here:

http://www.gemal.dk/browserspy/javajava.html

It will say Java is installed, but Java_Not_Enabled?

Weird.

There is something not quiet right here.

Nick

Posted by: vesselle
Date: January 22, 2003 09:58PM

yep that's exactly what it says when i go there.

the thing is EVERYTHING on the web reports back i'm using Netscape (even with the default preference setting) BUT when i go into the java console (any of them from 1.1 to 1.4.1.) and add a checkmark to have Netscape recognized, i'm not allowed to do it.

it acts like it will take the new preference when i press "apply", but upon further consideration, the console pops up a window telling me that Netscape is not properly installed on my machine or verify i have sufficient permission to make this change.

GAH! it's making me crazy.

i have gone thru EVERY single version of java available on sun's site... from 1.1 to the current AND i've uninstalled, reinstalled, tweaked my registry all to no avail.

*sighs* i thot i had made friends with the perfect browser, but apparently it doesn't wanna play with me. sad smiley poopyshoes!

V***V

Date: January 23, 2003 04:45AM

I'm guessing that something in your preferences is messed up. Try re-installing K-Meleon in a different directory and before you change any preferences, try getting Java to work with it.

Date: January 23, 2003 05:06AM

I just installed 1.4.1_01. I used the Custom install option and selected Netscape 6. The following files show up in About:plugins after the installation:

NPJava11.dll
NPJava12.dll
NPJava13.dll
NPJava32.dll
NPJPI141_01.dll
NPOJI610.dll

I'm not sure why some sites are not detecting Java. We need to do more testing with that.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 24, 2003 02:50AM

I still get told by the getjava site that I don't have the JRE installed, and browserspy still reads that Java_NOT_Enabled, but I've tried like 50 Java applets now on different demo sites--everything from maths, to graphs, to fractals, to banners, to some jfc/swing testing stuff, and all of them ran perfectly upon clicking their applet window--does anyone have examples of sites where the Java plugin does not work (other than browserspy)?

I tried:

http://www.m0use.net/~uesp/morrow/map/mw_map.shtml

And it worked fine for me, there is a picture of some place called "West Gash" when I click the app. Does this page work for anyone else, or is this one of the problem pages?

Ps. I have JSE141_01 installed, and I also searched my registry for "141_01.dll" and set all three results to point to \K-Meleon\Plugins\NPJPI141_01.dll, instead of \Java\j2re1.4.1_01\bin\NPJava141_01.dll or \Java\j2re1.4.1_01\bin\NPJPI141_01.dll. If that site doesn't work for you, mabye that's the difference, I don't know if it matters or not, I was just trying to get browserspy to read the plugin as active, that's why I did it.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 25, 2003 11:18PM

See my last post here:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=6901&t=6901

Java works fully if you update the Mozilla engine to 1.3a with K-M .7 grinning smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.