General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Automatic Connection
Posted by: Refugee
Date: January 07, 2003 06:12PM

When I'm offline and I open K-Meleon it tries to connect to internet.

How can I avoid that?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Automatic Connection
Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 07, 2003 08:23PM

Do you have KM set to startup with a blank page?

Posted by: Mark
Date: January 11, 2003 07:31AM

I experience the same thing. My setup:

* K-Meleon 0.7 on a Win95 box
* Dial-up connection, PPP, IP assigned through DHCP, default gateway is remote
* Home page is served by a local HTTP server on the same machine
* Privoxy proxy is on by default, but bypassed for localhost

Setting the homepage to blank didn't change the behavior, nor did bypassing the proxy, nor a combination of the two.

K-meleon is the only app that always tries the Internet on startup. Netscape 3.04 is quiet until I try to get a remote page.

It would be nice to not have to dismiss the dialup dialog just to view my local Web pages. Any ideas?

Posted by: Ismo
Date: January 11, 2003 09:14AM

Is your Preferences / Cache / Cache comparison set to Never ?
That should be the offline mode.

Posted by: SlideRule
Date: January 11, 2003 09:16PM

Mark:

I too, am running K-Meleon on a Win95 box, BUT, I can open K-Melon withOUT automatically dialing out.

Can you try this 'method' to start K-Meleon and see if it works?

Click the Start button, Run and enter:

"C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe" about:blank

This 'should' start K-Meleon withOUT dialing out. The about:blank will open a blank page. you can change the "about:blank" to a 'local' web page (html etc) . . . OR . . . open an HTML page from within Explorer (or other file manager). . . . for instance the readme.html that is in the "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\" directory.

Hope this helps, PLEASE let us know.

SlideRule

Date: January 11, 2003 10:03PM

Ismo and SlideRule,

Changing the cache comparison to 'Never' did not fix the problem. I'd be surprised if it did, since my home page is served by an HTTP server on the same machine. There shouldn't be any need to hit the Internet to compare the page to the cached copy since everything is local.

Adding either "about:blank" or the URL of my local home page (http://127.0.0.1/...) to the KM shortcut didn't fix the problem. I combined this with Ismo's suggestion to set cache comparison to Never, to no avail. KM *really* wants to connect when it starts.

Thanks for the suggestions. Someday we'll lick this thing.

Mark

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 12, 2003 01:06AM

So what URL (or address) does it try to connect to when starting up?

Nick

Date: January 13, 2003 10:20PM

For me, my home page, which is served by a Web server running on the same machine. Even if KM is set to open with a blank page, the dial-up dialog still comes up.

Mark

Posted by: emagius
Date: January 14, 2003 03:36PM

I tend to write up reports and such in [X]HTML these days, and I've converted many of my RTF files to HTML so that they're just easier to read. It's not a problem on this machine (which has an ADSL connection), but on my dial-up box, I tend to resort to using another program to browse local HTML files. =(

This, along with the weird loss-of-focus bug, is my primary issue with K-Meleon. Which, when you think about it, means the browser's pretty darn good!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.