General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Slow Loading of K-Meleon
Posted by: Paul Yeoman
Date: January 09, 2003 12:38AM

Hi There

Thought I would give K-Meleon a whirl on my machine. I have a number of installed browsers, which I periodically try out, and like Mozilla.

After installation, which went well, I thought that the program was not going to load, but after what seemed like an age, the program sparked into life, and so far, works very well!

Just the slow load which concerns me a little....

Paul Yeoman
Scarborough
England

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow Loading of K-Meleon
Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 09, 2003 01:30AM

If you're using the favorites plugin and have many favorites...that's probably what's taking it so long to load. Using the Bookmarks plugin instead makes the browser load much faster.

Posted by: Paul Yeoman
Date: January 09, 2003 07:51PM

Many thanks for that - That could well be the problem.

I do have a large number of IE favourites - when configuring the favourites, the enabling box is not checked, so I would assume that the favourites are not in use, but they all appear.

Is there a way that I can prevent the favourites appearing each and every load up? Or must I live with them now?

Paul

Date: January 09, 2003 08:09PM

when configuring the favourites, the enabling box is not checked....but they all appear

Surprised that's happening. Do you have a user.js file that specifies differently?...you would have had to make one. Anyway, a sure way of having them not appear is to go within the KM directory in kplugins and delete favorites.dll.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 09, 2003 09:07PM

.....or you could just rename it, in case you have a sudden urge to use it again...
I do that with the Star Downloader plug when I run into an odd link that I can't DL from except by "save link as".
Disabled plugins will still load if K-M loader has not been closed. Names have more powerful magic ;-)

Date: January 09, 2003 10:13PM

I know that layers.dll will still load even if renamed to something else like layers1.dll. I don't know if favorites.dll behaves the same in terms of that since I don't use favorites. Maybe if the extension is changed it won't load. Better yet he can just move it out of the kplugins folder and drop it in the directory.

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 10, 2003 12:23AM

Disable a K-Meleon plugin from loading with a pref in prefs.js:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.<plugin-name>.load", false);

Examples:

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.load", false);

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.load", false);

Posted by: DW
Date: January 13, 2003 08:43AM

No problems here. I guess I don't have too many plug-ins running. But, I do notice pages load much faster than they do on Opera or IE 6.0. Very sweet!

-DW

Posted by: Ismo
Date: January 13, 2003 02:19PM

I had the same kind of problems when I first used my
Netscape Bookmarks plugin. My Netscape bookmarks file
was 150 kB (severals years of accumated 'jewels').
When I reorderded my bookmarks into folders and
split my not so frequently visited bookmarks into another
local file which I bookmarked K-Meleon loaded several
seconds faster than before.

Before that even opening new layers took about ten seconds, not it takes just a couple of seconds. Bear in mind that my computer is Win95B 133 MHz
32 MB RAM.

K-Meleon has really made my browsing a very pleasent experience again.
Before I used NS 4.7. It amazing how different many sites
look when you look them with these two browsers. Thanks to gecko
rendering many pages are much more apealling than with NS.

It is sad that browser suits expect you have 128 MB RAM. You can't
even install IE 6 into Win 95 system at all (not that I were too tempted).

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 16, 2003 05:18PM

You might consider using a bookmark manager to convert your IE favorites over to Netscape bookmarks and then just delete the IE favorites altogether. One simple bookmark manager that works with K-Meleon is GUL.. Look here for more details

http://www.bahamapress.org/andres/kmeleon/

N

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 16, 2003 11:02PM

FYI - fixes have been checked into the code for both Bookmarks and Favorites that should help these problems out quite a bit. We're looking at possibly releasing an update that would include the updated plugins.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 18, 2003 02:19AM

Go to the home page and follow the link to the new beta Favorites plugin. Don't forget to backup your original plugin first!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.