General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Impressed
Posted by: crimsonblue2u
Date: January 12, 2003 04:03AM

The last time I had given K-Meleon a test drive was back in '99 I believe it was. At that time I was 'hmm, okay' with it, nothing that knocked my socks off - it was different from Netscape, faster somewhat - close to IE in speed. I used it alternately for a while then went back to old faithful for me, Netscape, out of loyalty for lack of a better reason - Netscape was my intro to the internet in the latter part of '94. Regrettably I had to concede that IE was a much more effective browser, I remained true to our beloved Netscape however, primarily because I maintained then as I still do now, I really liked that the email client was integrated in the Communicator suite. I have made the progression to the new Netscape but it is so overloaded in bloat that I think it looses its punch due to all of the weight it has to lug around. I run with 128 mb of RAM, have a couple of friends with 256 and 512 respectively and they report the same results, so I think this wonderful Gecko browser's original intent gets lost in the shuffle of AOL/Netscape trying to cram as much feature as they possibly can into the suite.
Quite refreshing to install K-Meleon with its Gecko engine after not using it for several years to find it blazing past IE. I was quite taken aback after installation. The speed is incredible. If they ever decide to incorporate an email client in with this jewel the rest of 'em can forget it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Impressed
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 13, 2003 12:31AM

@ECHO ON
ECHO crimsonblue2u.txt
ECHO ;-)

Posted by: RottweilerKing
Date: January 14, 2003 12:07AM

K-Meleon is the best alternative to IE, scrapping all that XUL GARBAGE that Netscape uses. The themes are one of the only XUL programs that works correctly and quite frankly K-Meleon's skins tend be better eye-candy anyway. Those heavy themes aren't needed.

Posted by: Ublis
Date: January 16, 2003 12:33AM

If you have a fast PC, that XUL overhead is not really noticeable, so as computers evolve, the disadvantage Mozilla/Netscape becomes smaller and smaller. On my Athlon 2000+/512Mb there is no real difference between the loading time of the different browsers.

I think K-Meleon and Mozilla are quite different browsers and it's not just the speed which in my case is not much of a concern. Mozilla tabs are IMO still better than K-Meleon layers (mainly due to an apparent bug I posted about some time ago). K-Meleon is more easily configurable because you can drag button bars around and edit items in/out very easily. I suppose Mozilla allows a lot of customizability as well, but it's not quite that easy. I also like the 'native' look of K-Meleon, even though I'm quite fond of the Mozilla Orbit theme as well. So I use different configurations for the two (Java/images/etc) and I load the one which I feel like using at the moment.
K-meleon 0.7 crashes on me once every couple of days for no apparent reason, while Mozilla (1.2.1) seems to be rock stable. But back in my MSIE days, a few days without a crash were a miracle, so K-meleon isn't that bad in that respect neither.

On another PC, where I have the choice between K-Meleon and MSIE, I use K-Meleon exclusively. An important reason in that case is the built-in popup stopper.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.