General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Does Java slow Page Rendering
Posted by: wendell
Date: January 13, 2003 02:09PM

Does Java 1.4.1 slow down browsing and if so is it a good idea to remove the plug in or can I get the same results by disabling java in Preferences.

thx
wirefox

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Java slow Page Rendering
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 13, 2003 05:34PM

You can just disable it in Prefs.
It is not so bad a lot of the time, but it does greatly slow page loading, especially on sites where the dearly beloved webmaster went berserk with it. Everything stops while the stuff loads. It seems to me that over 50% of java use is merely decorative... there are some sites that use java navigation, and some of them might be useless without it - one wishes they wouldn't (I will always write a complaining e-mail)... Then again, there is the possibility of dangerous java malware jumping on you. Urk! I haven't seen any yet, but the web is obviously not getting safer every day, judging by the Klez-shower I've been "enjoying".
IMHO java lakes are all wet... LOL

Re: Does Java slow Page Rendering
Posted by: Hugo
Date: January 13, 2003 06:34PM

Then again, there is the possibility of dangerous java malware jumping on you.

But how do you write such malware :-)? I thought java-applets are run in that little java sandbox, which is supposed to be allright, securitywise.. They are not allowed to touch your file system, and and they can not connect to anywhere, except from the location it was loaded from.. (all this per default, you can extend the permissions)

What are the security issues/holes with java applets?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.