General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Fed UP
Posted by: wendell
Date: January 15, 2003 04:23AM

I been reading posts and trying to apply a skin to this browser for two days, thx for the help everyone but the time wasted on this which should be a simple task makes this browser a distant second to Phoenix.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fed UP
Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 15, 2003 03:12PM

You think K-Meleon is a distant second to Phoenix because you can't install a skin ?!?!? Don't be ridiculous, a skin only amounts to the look of the top 2 or 3 rows, it's the browser functionality that matters. K-Meleon is better than Phoenix because it's smaller and faster, it uses a native OS user interface instead of one written in an interpretive language (XUL) which has to access lots of files. Phoenix may be somewhat more optimized than Mozilla itself but it still uses the same bad UI design. Also most other users don't have a problem installing a skin of their choice, that's something that should only take a few minutes to do.

Date: January 15, 2003 04:18PM

OK, say I want to install Modern_07, when I enter Modern_07\ it won't install and the same goes for all the other available skins. I tried different combinations ie Modern, modern etc and still nothing, what's the problem, and your opinion on what matters is that, just your opinion. Speed in browsing is no different than Phoenix, but I do like K-Meleon and will give it another try one last time. When I download a theme I install and unzip it in skins, then go to Change skins and enter the folder name with \ . Is this correct and should I do anything else to get it to work?

thx for help

wendell

Posted by: squabsy
Date: January 15, 2003 05:36PM

It has to be unzipped into a folder called "name of Skin" within the skins folder i.e. skins\modern.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 16, 2003 01:28AM

LOL, skinz - it's what's inside that counts - inside the window, that is.

Date: January 16, 2003 02:32AM

Not Fed up anymore, got it working finally and like very much.

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: January 16, 2003 08:24AM

> it's what's inside that counts - inside the window, that is.

True. But the default skin was ugly enough to distract me from that. Now the Galeon skin keeps me surfing happily - and that counts for me ;-)

Posted by: Hugo
Date: January 16, 2003 07:13PM

You've got good taste, K-man :-) ..though the Galeon skin with layers button bar is no good... unless you use the *default* back.bmp (and not the Galeon one.. ) It's all in the details..

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 16, 2003 09:14PM

What style are you using for the layers bar? The number 4 button style and any that combine that style will lose the back.bmp image. I filed a bug about it a month or so ago. All the other styles keep the background image intact.

Posted by: RottweilerKing
Date: January 16, 2003 10:12PM

Some skins wouldn't install for me until I extracted them to the default foler(and did overwrite when it asked). So u can do that if nothing else works, u can always download the default skin if u want to later.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 16, 2003 11:06PM

FYI - a copy of the default skin is always available in here:

Program Files\K-Meleon\skins\default

Date: January 16, 2003 11:08PM

My problem was, when I went to "Change Skin" I entered Modern_07\, I should of entered Modern_07\Modern\. The actual skin was in the folder Modern, some skins unzip to just one folder but this one has an extra folder in a folder, hope this helps.

wendell

Posted by: Hugo
Date: January 17, 2003 12:13AM

What style are you using for the layers bar? The number 4 button style and any that combine that style will lose the back.bmp image. I filed a bug about it a month or so ago. All the other styles keep the background image intact.

Thanks jsnj, I was using 12 (8 + 4), changed that to 11 (8 + 2+ 1) - it looks better:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.style", 11);

What about the menu bar though? It doesn't get the back.bmp (I should probably RTFM or STFForums on that..?)

Date: January 17, 2003 09:06PM

What about the menu bar though? It doesn't get the back.bmp

I'm not sure why you're having that problem. Menu bar keeps the background image through all the styles I've tried on my PC.

Date: January 17, 2003 09:11PM

LOL...Ignore the styles ref in my last post since it has nothing to do with the menu bar

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.