General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
ADSAdClient31.dll
Posted by: Bruce
Date: January 17, 2003 08:25AM

I just re-installed K-meleon 0.7 today, and I noticed that when I accessed web pages, a "Save file" dialog box would appear, asking me to save the file "ADSAdClient31.dll" to my K-meleon folder. It appeared to coincide with when a pop-up ad would be showing up - When I click on "Cancel" in the Save File box, the box would disappear, only to reappear a second later, and then again . . . finally quitting. but when I opened the next page, I would get the Save File dialog box again.
Is this part of the Pop-up stopping feature of K 0.7? I ended up downloading the file once, scanned it for viruses, and then put it in the RECYCLE BIN, where it still sits until I figure out what to do with it . . .

Any ideas? Or can I configure the pop-up ad preference differently. I currently have the "Disable popup windows on web page load/unload " box checked in the Privacy section of Preferences.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ADSAdClient31.dll
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 17, 2003 12:03PM

Bruce,

Can you provide an example site where this happens?

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 17, 2003 02:15PM
Date: January 17, 2003 08:16PM

Well, I just timed out on several attempts to connect with "kuro5hin.org" -- I'll check it later, as I'm leaving for the weekend. but in answer to Andrews reply, I tried surfing in heavily commercial sites this morning, and it never happened again. When it happened before was when I was accessing mail on Hotmail. the "save file" dialog appearance seemed to coincide with the banner ads switching, as each banner changed, the "box" would appear again, even as I clicked "cancel" in the last one.
But, as I say, I couldn't get it to appear today -- even on Hotmail . . . go figure.

Arual, I will check out the site you suggested -- thanks, Bruce

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 17, 2003 08:53PM

Happened to me on Hotmail once today as well. Hasn't happened since. Must be a Microsoft Hotmail spyware thing. Probably installs automatically if you use IE. Glad I'm using KM. :-)

Posted by: Hugo
Date: January 17, 2003 11:45PM

If you suspect that adware or spyware is installed on your computer, check out Ad-aware,
http://www.lavasoft.nu/index.html
, a progagram that scans your disks, looking for known ad-ware.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 18, 2003 01:35AM

Oh yes, it's a micro$ tracker. I did a Google on it this morning and found that site. Bookmarked it too - thanx for the inspiration :-)

Date: January 21, 2003 03:18AM

Arual --
after the weekend, I was finally able to check out the "kuro5hin.org" forum posting, and even though there is no unanimity about what it is, that's enought for me to figure I can go ahead and empty it from my recycle bin. It's odd, but in my original post I had noted that I had just "re-installed Kmeleon 0.7" The reason being is that I got a message saying "abnormal shutdown of the application" message box, and then when I attempted to start Kmeleon again, I got a "runtime error" message, and it wouldn't run. so I un-installed it from the Control Panel applet, downloaded the installer from mozilla.org, and reinstalled the browser. It was after I had done this that I got the "save file" dialog box containing the ADSAdclient31.dll file. I noticed in some of the posts on kuro5hin.org that some of the posters thought it had something to do with runtime files. maybe that's where the dll is parking itself, but then I know nothing about code ---

thanks for the info

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.