General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Password Manager
Posted by: SamG
Date: November 09, 2006 03:40PM

Anyone knows how to remove a user from the Password Manager? The Manager has saved too many user names for a website and I'd like to remove some of them - not all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Password Manager
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 09, 2006 04:13PM

SamG,

What do you use to edit various kind of text files? Notepad can be used to edit the password manager file, which should be located either in the program's location or in your window's application folders, depending upon how you installed K-Meleon. Once you locate that file, load it up in notepad and look for the sites you wish to edit or delete. Save and exit notepad and then fire up K-Meleon. You may have to do this once or twice if you guess wrong about which particular set of information is the correct one to get rid of. Worse case scenario is that you eliminate your current one and you'll have to reintroduce the information the next time you visit the site. I keep a text file around that has all my password info in it, but I encrypt it and only decrypt it when I need to access some information.

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 09, 2006 05:57PM

ndebord`s suggestion should always work unless file is encrypted.

Depending on k-meleon version You are using.
On some version the following procedure might also work & is less effort.

try to open menus location -> Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Show password
-> click make passwors visible, then click on unwanted ones that markes them activated no clcik button that deletes unwanted ones.
Wish You success

( as said before - always work with backup if doing something new or tricky -
such as password management, browser or profiles updates et cetera ...
but my a.. You knew even before first time - but saying twice holds better ;-)

Date: November 10, 2006 01:22PM

ndebord
SamG,

What do you use to edit various kind of text files? Notepad can be used to edit the password manager file, which should be located either in the program's location or in your window's application folders, depending upon how you installed K-Meleon. Once you locate that file, load it up in notepad and look for the sites you wish to edit or delete. Save and exit notepad and then fire up K-Meleon. You may have to do this once or twice if you guess wrong about which particular set of information is the correct one to get rid of. Worse case scenario is that you eliminate your current one and you'll have to reintroduce the information the next time you visit the site. I keep a text file around that has all my password info in it, but I encrypt it and only decrypt it when I need to access some information.

What's the name of the password manager file? I tried looking for it but I couldn't find anything.

=SG

Date: November 10, 2006 04:20PM

random nr. plus extension *.s (mine is: 53405318.s) , is encoded 64 bit

You will find decoder here:

http://www.holgermetzger.de/moz-passwords.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2006 04:21PM by guenter.

Date: November 10, 2006 11:27PM

hi SG - i have sent screenshots from German K-M.1.02 that show my password file location. If the pics do not get delivered - here a more verbose answer.

Where is K-Melon 1.x profile folder? Old users wonder where has it gone / all was so easy in the good old days / excepts for the few freaks that had NT systems instead of 95/98/ME ;-)

To open K-Meleon → Edit → Preferences → General → Settings Folder and have a look there is the easiest way to find out about Settings & Profile folder location.

Ever since we left K-Meleon Version 0.9 by default, user profile data are stored in a completely different location and not in the K-Meleon installation directory
anymore (where it was untill Version 0.9 - and where it still is when You choose that option during install or create a profile.ini in K-Meleon install directory later).

The default profile locations are listed below (******** in the folder name represents a random string of eight letters or numbers).

For Windows 2000 and XP systems

If you cannot find your profile folder: In Windows 2000 and XP, the default profile locations listed below are inside the "Application Data" folder, which is hidden; in order to see it, you will need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders:

German for Application Data: Anwendungsdaten.
It is in user data folder: German Dokumente und Einstellungen/Benutzernamen (user name e. g. Admin or guenter )

* In Windows Explorer (or My Computer), click: "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show Hidden files and folders".

If you are having trouble finding your "Application Data" folder, you may wish to make use of the %APPDATA% environment variable, which points to the location of the folder for the logged-in user. For example:

* "Start → Run → %APPDATA%" will open the "Application Data" folder.
* "Start → Run → %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles" will open the "Thunderbird\Profiles" folder - the same done for string k-Meleon works too ;-)

To do a Windows Search: To search default profile locations under the "Application Data" folder, Windows 2000 users will need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders as described above. Important: In Windows XP you must click "Start → Search → More advanced options" and select "Search hidden files and folders" in the Search tool.

K-Meleon

1st Note: K-Meleon, Mozilla Suite, Netscape 4 - 7.x and SeaMonkey, FFox, TBird all use similar profile locations.

Operating system Folder(s)
Windows 95/98/Me C:\Windows\Application Data\K-Meleon\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\

Windows 95/98/Me, alternate C:\Windows\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\K-Meleon\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\

Windows NT 4.x C:\Winnt\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\K-Meleon\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\

Windows 2000 and XP C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\K-Meleon\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\

in other words %APPDATA%\K-Meleon\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\

btw. if You find a profile makes trouble and is broken - the easiest way to repair anything is creating a new profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2006 11:31PM by guenter.

Date: November 11, 2006 07:41PM

guenter
random nr. plus extension *.s (mine is: 53405318.s) , is encoded 64 bit

You will find decoder here:

http://www.holgermetzger.de/moz-passwords.html

Thanks for your help. I ended up finding the #.s file and edited out the user names I didn't want using notepad. It's pretty awesome. Thanks again,

-SG

Date: November 11, 2006 07:55PM

Great news SG: - only solved problems are good problems.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 12, 2006 04:54PM

SamG,

Glad to hear you were able to edit the password file to your satisfaction. One of the advantages of KM is the abiility to easily edit various configuration files because they are mostly text and can be seen and then edited.

<g>

N

Date: November 15, 2006 08:54AM

ndebord
SamG,

Glad to hear you were able to edit the password file to your satisfaction. One of the advantages of KM is the abiility to easily edit various configuration files because they are mostly text and can be seen and then edited.

<g>

Well I actually have to use the decoder and decode every password one by one. Is there a quick way to decode the whole file at once?

Date: November 16, 2006 07:24AM

no - if You have many passwords that are obsured but not encrypted use:

Netscapass by Nir Sofer (freeware auhor) - download at:

http://www.snapfiles.com/publishers/nir-sofer/index.html

Click manually select Profile folder -> select Netscape 6/7 as version.

-> select profiles location on HDD that will do more than 1 password at a time.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.