General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Several instances of K-meleon, all with their own profile
Posted by: Anders
Date: November 11, 2006 06:18PM

I'm currently using K-Meloen as a dedicated Gmail browsers. To me this is where K-Meleon really shines: highly customizable, light-weight, fast and with the gecko rendering engine. See below for a screenshot on how this could look like.

My question is if it would be possible to use one single installation of K-Meleon (or alternately multiple) for many "dedicated browsers" like the Gmail example. PandoraMan and Pyro are a good example of this approach, small "programs" that use the web-kit rendering engine for the rendering of web-pages.

What I'm referring to is basically a way to open several K-Meleon instances at the same time, with each instance using it's own profile (menu settings, skins, home page, keyboard shortcuts etc.).

Any creative ideas how to make this possible? Or is it simply a limitation of Windows?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Several instances of K-meleon, all with their own profile
Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: November 11, 2006 07:07PM

No, it's not a limitation of Windows, it's just how K-Meleon, SeaMonkey and Firefox behave on platforms. But you can change this.

I'm not sure if this works with K-Meleon, but it doesn't hurt to try. Do you know about environment variables? I know that on Win9x, they're set with autoexec.bat at start-up (though they can also be set throught he command line, but then it only exists there). Add this to autoexec.bat, and reboot:

SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

On Windows 2000 and WinXP, you can also set environment variables, but I don't know by heart where.

Date: November 11, 2006 08:20PM

Thanks for the tip. But no, it doesn't work for K-Meleon. K-Meleon and Firefox can be opened side by side. But it's the same thing for K-Meleon as for Firefox; you can't have different versions opened at the same time. So you are definitely on to something, K-MELEON_NO_REMOTE or similar would be cool.

Posted by: RM
Date: November 13, 2006 04:53AM

I have a very unique experience with K-Meleon. I had installed K-meleon and was trying that for a few days. In between I read in your forums about K-Ninja and installed that also in my pc. After installing that whenever i run the K-Meleon.exe, only K-Ninja runs. I don't know why. I am'nt unhappy with the result, since I have found K-Ninja atleast as good as K-Meleon and since K-Ninja and K-Meleon have the same engine, it is as good as running K-Meleon. It is only out of curiosity that I am posing this question.

Thanks,
RM

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 13, 2006 08:29AM

RM,

I'm not familiar with K-Ninja's setup, but if it installs the loader as well (i.e. look for a K-Meleon icon in the system tray), that may be the cause.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 13, 2006 09:35AM

I think that K-Ninja and K-Meleon uses same name of system task. This is the reason for when you open K-Ninja or K-Meleon new program only open new window of program loaded actualy. For the system are same program.

Sorry for my bad english.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 09:36AM by desga2.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: November 13, 2006 10:12AM

You can't run 2 kmeleon at the same time.
I think a command line switch could be added to force the opening of a new instance. Used with the profile switch, this should do the trick.

Date: November 13, 2006 04:45PM

Dorian
I think a command line switch could be added

Thanks for the heads up Dorian. So could you add it to the next release smiling smiley?

Seriously, I think it could be proven really valuable, especially for the sort of things I mentioned in my initial post, but also for web-developing where you wan't to have several browsers opened at once. I'm pretty shure there are other user cases as well.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 13, 2006 08:34PM

It would be handy for forum support of browser to open more language versions instead of shutting a version down ( if we anwser mensu specific questions ).

Date: November 19, 2006 01:40PM

Thanks for implemting this, it works great.

In the release notes for Kmeleon 1.1a2 Gecko 1.8.1:
"Add: -new command line switch to open a new instance"

Also see http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/Command+line+options

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.