General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
wow! kmeleon vs. flock browser
Posted by: nexous
Date: November 14, 2006 03:07AM

Yesterday my friend shown me one amazing browser. He uses Flock v.078 as a default browser and IE7 as second; I like Kmeleon, of course, but I've seen Flock browser working and it's simply amazing. Flock browser supports Mozilla extensions and it seems more faster than Firefox, Kmeleon and also Opera. In two hours we opened nearly one hundred webpages all perfect renderized, with no loss of functionality at all and with no delays. Its stability is powerfull, and its cache management is also amazing and fastest than IE7. My friend is a dumb user (sorry, my friend, but this is the real true), and he only wants to click and enjoy. I think that's the future. "Perfect-easy-use-and-forget" browsers with no configuration problems at all. Nothing to decide. Nothing to improve. Oneclick and enjoy. Wow!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wow! kmeleon vs. flock browser
Posted by: Carson
Date: November 14, 2006 06:28AM

Flock has made it up to version 0.7.8 now. It aspires to be a blog- and photo-specializing "social" browser; FF's seemingly one-and-only knock-off so far. Simple ("simple" is its claim to fame), quick and easy for a select group of users.

It is having trouble, which it freely admits, with bookmarks. At the moment it is attempting to deal with IE Favourites, but it can't handle more than one hierarchical level. Actually it couldn't handle mine at all; the browser hung and refused to respond, so I had to kill the session. Maybe that was the file, or maybe it was because they were being imported from IE 7, not IE 6.

Just for fun I put Tabbrowser Extensions on it. There was a warning, but in fact it did work. Seems funny to see such a little browser with such a huge extension.

Good luck to Flock. Nexous, if you like it, you've discovered the right browser for yourself! Neither Firefox nor K-Meleon are involved in that particular niche, as every browser has its own reasons for existence—"the things it likes to do most". Flock will be ideal for those people it is ideal for.
smiling smiley

Posted by: Lennart
Date: November 14, 2006 06:49AM

Carson
Flock will be ideal for those people it is ideal for

Eum moody smiley For people who want just surf & enjoy? I think, we all want that, right?

Posted by: marcopolo
Date: November 14, 2006 09:48AM

nexous
"Perfect-easy-use-and-forget" browsers with no configuration problems at all. Nothing to decide. Nothing to improve

KMeleon is too much configurable, and some people could find it an inconvenience.
I have installed Flock 0.76 in spanish and I think you are right. It seems more faster than Firefox 2.0 and IE6SP1 in my system. Yes, surf and enjoy should be a nice idea, but the sensation of freedom and knowing what you can done for your browser. Kmeleon is a good browser, Nexous, and everybody can choose.

Date: November 14, 2006 10:04AM

carson
Seems funny to see such a little browser with such a huge extension.

I thought the same, but it's lighter than FF 2.0 with no addons.
I think we are forgetting one basic thing in KMeleon: Simplicity.
KMeleon isn't a browser for common users actually. A Lite version of KMeleon to starters users should be made as soon as possible to gain advantage.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 14, 2006 10:04AM

Flock is not a bad browser, but I prefer K-Meleon.

Maybe I'm a bit anti-social ;-)

Posted by: Felipe
Date: November 14, 2006 10:09AM

nexous
A Lite version of KMeleon to starters users should be made as soon as possible to gain advantage.

Yes ! One version to development & improving and just one to click & enjoy.
It sounds great !
:-)

Date: November 14, 2006 12:22PM

felipe
Yes ! One version to development & improving and just one to click & enjoy.

Better a closed Lite Kmeleon with few configurable options, and betas.

enatizjga
Maybe I'm a bit anti-social ;-)

XD Very good !

Posted by: guillermo
Date: November 14, 2006 12:58PM

i then flock , avant ,greenbrown, ie7, firefox, mozilla, seamonkey, opera, offbyone and of course k-meleon .
in order to know who was the best navigator, I let one "competicion" (to compete), that open but fast the page to www.clarin.com.ar (is very heavy).El winning with 5 seconds k-meleon, I complete was avant with 6,30 seconds
the winner in use the ram is offbyone 5200kb
sorry for my limited english , i spanish men

Date: November 14, 2006 01:17PM

Guillermo, this forums are an impressive way to improve your english, just keep writing in english and in six months you'll be reading Shakespeare in his original language. ;-)

To the rest of spanish users, don't be shy and try writing in english, is not that hard, just remember that too little people here are english or american, we are mostly continentral europeans (people from France, Germany, and so on).

Date: November 14, 2006 01:32PM

cher ami : merci infiniment par le conseil que je mets dans les pratiques

Date: November 14, 2006 01:43PM

будется удовольствием. Мы все имеющиеся люди сделать самый лучший браузер. ;-)

Date: November 14, 2006 02:19PM

guillermo
winning with 5 seconds k-meleon, I complete was avant with 6,30 seconds the winner in use the ram is offbyone 5200kb

I don't know what kind of tests have you made, but I completed the whole site http://www.clarin.com/ with KMeleon with no adblock nor flashblock in 36.41 seconds. With Flock I completed the same web page in 30.49 seconds. With Firefox with four extensions (gmail manager, redirect remover, noscript and forecast), 56.49 seconds, and with IE6SP1 37.53 seconds. That web page is very heavy, of course.

¿5 seconds? What kind of internet connection do you have?

Date: November 14, 2006 02:23PM

marcopolo
guillermo
winning with 5 seconds k-meleon, I complete was avant with 6,30 seconds the winner in use the ram is offbyone 5200kb

I don't know what kind of tests have you made, but I completed the whole site http://www.clarin.com/ with KMeleon with no adblock nor flashblock in 36.41 seconds. With Flock I completed the same web page in 30.49 seconds. With Firefox with four extensions (gmail manager, redirect remover, noscript and forecast), 56.49 seconds, and with IE6SP1 37.53 seconds. That web page is very heavy, of course.

¿5 seconds? What kind of internet connection do you have?

And Opera? I've tried to charge the whole page with Opera 9.01 but it fails like a dumb cow. What a puzzle, my God!! Opera needs surgery. KMeleon loads pretty well.

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 14, 2006 02:48PM

—guillermo et al, I very much enjoy seeing other languages here. You are always welcome. I envy you, because I speak only English. I hope to learn Spanish in the future, for travel in Central and South America. smiling smiley

—2 browser features discussed here: simplicity and speed. But there are many more. Browsers evolve, and the process is interesting. Browsers are a utility to extend our own human thought. Some people prefer solving problems, and working with logical puzzles. Hao Jiang's versions appeal to them. It is not the end result they are really after, so much as the creative fun of the process itself.

Posted by: Anonymouse.org user
Date: November 14, 2006 04:38PM

Well maybe someone can answer a question I have had for many years.
Websites that recommend what they say is the best browser always
say to use Opera. They say Opera is fastest. I always say nonsense.
I have for many years now found K-Meleon to be the fastest. So am
I missing something?

Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 14, 2006 05:07PM

Lennart
Carson
Flock will be ideal for those people it is ideal for

Eum moody smiley For people who want just surf & enjoy? I think, we all want that, right?

It is a case for saying:

For those who like this kind of stuff, this is the kind of stuff they like... *<yawning smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2006 05:08PM by foobarly.

Date: November 14, 2006 05:14PM

I love the way you talk as the way you talk is loved by me, the one who loves the way you talk (which is loved by the lover of talking ways) ...

Date: November 14, 2006 06:14PM

Anonymouse.org user
Well maybe someone can answer a question I have had for many years.
Websites that recommend what they say is the best browser always
say to use Opera. They say Opera is fastest. I always say nonsense.
I have for many years now found K-Meleon to be the fastest. So am
I missing something?

I don't believe that Opera is faster than Kmeleon nor Flock. After half an hour of navigation I get differents measures when loading webpages as marcopolo did, but certainly Kmeleon wins overall, however not for high differences. I found Flock is faster in someones but not in all. Kmeleon is a good browser, but being serious I can not say I dislike Flock. In fact I think it's better than FF and SeaMonkey having the same gecko core.

Posted by: Felipe
Date: November 14, 2006 06:25PM

IE7 is so bad as FF2.
Flock seems so good as KM.
Opera disgrace is so bad,
Seamonkey is so sad...
What a pity, my sir!
Click & Enjoy to have fun,
mess the flesh over the roof,
don't cry for the BSOD,
it will come back soon, my sir.
Faster, faster, we say,
forever faster lika a horse
forever in memory like a giant,
no doubts, my friend...
Make me happy and change of colour,
my darling, my baby, my green KM.

Date: November 14, 2006 06:30PM

- What do you prefer, sir, one steak or two?
- Both.

Homer J. Simpson.

Why only one browser to choose, nexous?
Be happy, enjoy all.

Date: November 14, 2006 08:37PM

Carson
—guillermo et al, I very much enjoy seeing other languages here. You are always welcome. I envy you, because I speak only English. I hope to learn Spanish in the future, for travel in Central and South America. smiling smiley

—2 browser features discussed here: simplicity and speed. But there are many more. Browsers evolve, and the process is interesting. Browsers are a utility to extend our own human thought. Some people prefer solving problems, and working with logical puzzles. Hao Jiang's versions appeal to them. It is not the end result they are really after, so much as the creative fun of the process itself.

Amigo :yo vivo en sud america ,en la Patagonia ,cuando pase por Argentina lo invito a mi casa no lo olvide ,sera BIENVENIDO

Friends Carson: i live in the south America ,in the Patagonia (country :Argentina)
when it passs by Argentina I invite it to my house does not forget it.please to warm post private message alaguille_5@yahoo.com.ar or l____alacran____l@sbcglobal.net ... a sincere hug

Posted by: ra
Date: November 14, 2006 09:10PM

marcopolo
KMeleon is too much configurable, and some people could find it an inconvenience.

Mmh, Joe User doesn't know this and will most likely stay away from configuration stuff anyway. Maybe it's too difficult to configure, but then you get what you want and not only what the dev(s) designed for you...

Posted by: mchasard
Date: November 14, 2006 10:25PM

hum me too o believed that i found the ultime browser ...flock but bye me it crash too much to be my default browser ...so i'm desapointed and from 0.76 to 0.78 allways the same troubles ...crash crash crash ...

its only my experience ...

Posted by: bst82551
Date: November 15, 2006 04:05AM

I must've grabbed the wrong installer from the flock website... K-Meleon beats Flock BY FAR in speed on my system (Intel Celeron 500 Mhz processor, 512 MB RAM).

Brian

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 15, 2006 06:17AM

Flock is a Firefox variant ( You can tell that e. g. from its chrome ):
Its performance on my system is similar to a FFox but seems to start up faster.

I tested:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061109 Firefox/1.5.0.8 Flock/0.7.8
which has slightly newer engine then k-meleon 1. 02.

Like all FFox Flock uses less CPU time than k-m. It can be faster on certain pages & if You visit such pages it will perform well.

A k-meleon with a similar engine
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8pre) Gecko/20061015
was on similar tests also slightly faster than 1.02.

Anonymouse.org user
They say Opera is fastest.

Opera can do speculative rendering of big tables and has faster Java script engine.
Both of these features look well in tests, where they also test with unrealistically big tables a scripts
& if You visit pages where big tables and big Javascripts are much used Opera will be faster than k-meleon.

However AFAIK Opera uses more CPU time and less RAM than K-Meleon
& most of us have several programs runing (e. g. a firewall), & tables this big as in example
( http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time.php ) are not normal
& also the scripts used in the tests are unnormal big
( http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html ) .

So most ppl here find k-meleon faster.

e. g: http://kmeleon.blogspot.com/2005/11/new-browser-speed-test.html

AFAIK Its the mix of good resource usage & good system integration that gives k-meleon its edge on many systems but not on all.

guillermo
sorry for my limited english

Do not be sorry - English is lingua franca not lingua obligada here & we are not in school

enaitzjga
this forums are an impressive way to improve your english

Guess You are right - but it did not improve mine -> i am 2 old 2 learn much ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2006 06:20AM by guenter.

Date: November 15, 2006 09:11AM

mchasard
hum me too o believed that i found the ultime browser ...flock but bye me it crash too much to be my default browser ...so i'm desapointed and from 0.76 to 0.78 allways the same troubles ...crash crash crash ...
its only my experience ...

Firefox 2 crashes a lot. FF version 1.507 were well built as new version. Its only my opinion and my experience, of course. I haved no crash with Flock after two days of intensive use. KMeleon had never crashed in my system. Its stability is a big thing. However, Firefox extensions have more problems than Flock extensions and they are less depured. I think that Flock is better depured than FF, better built, I do not know what Flock's company have made but for me Flock is the real Firefox that Mozilla offers to the users (stability, memory usage, speed).

bst82551
I must've grabbed the wrong installer from the flock website... K-Meleon beats Flock BY FAR in speed on my system (Intel Celeron 500 Mhz processor, 512 MB RAM).

I have a PIII-533-256 RAM and Flock is faster than KM in some pages. KM wins, of course, but you should especified if you load the whole page. I load whole pages, with all adds (ouch, I like it) and all stuff they have. KMeleon rocks in each system I have probed it. From PII to PIV, from 64mb RAM to 1024 MB. It rocks.

guenter
A k-meleon with a similar engine
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8pre) Gecko/20061015
was on similar tests also slightly faster than 1.02.

Wich be the next KM engine? rv:1.8.1?

Posted by: felipe
Date: November 15, 2006 09:25AM

bst82551
I must've grabbed the wrong installer from the flock website... K-Meleon beats Flock BY FAR in speed on my system (Intel Celeron 500 Mhz processor, 512 MB RAM).Brian

Speed, speed, speed, speed... wow!

John carries one pound of iron in his left hand.
Frank carries ten pounds of iron in his left hand.
Who will win the NY Marathon?
John?
No!
John have no legs, dear Brian.

Above you can see an example of empirical passion.

Date: November 15, 2006 09:35AM

I think KM should offer some installation options:

a: Medium navigation (adblock, flashblock, popup blocker, no cookies...)
b: Personalized navigation (user choice)
b: Full navigation. Free navigation.

Now I have Flock as a second browser. I like it more than Firefox.

Date: November 15, 2006 09:37AM

marcopolo
I think KM should offer some installation options:
a: Medium navigation (adblock, flashblock, popup blocker, no cookies...)
b: Personalized navigation (user choice)
b: Full navigation. Free navigation.
Now I have Flock as a second browser. I like it more than Firefox.

Better a Lite Version of KM. For the children and dumb users.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.