General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
about:blank in URL bar
Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 21, 2006 12:23AM

Greetings,

I am new to K-Meleon. The past several days I have been seriously learning my way around the browser and overall I am quite pleased.

I have discovered the prefs.js option to disable the "title" text used in displaying the Layers and URL toolbars (kmeleon.plugins.layers.title and kmeleon.display.URLbarTitle). I would like to disable the URL bar from displaying the text "about:blank" when I open a blank/layer tab. Firefox and Opera display no such text. Firefox displays nothing in the URL bar and "(Untitled)" in the tab. Opera displays nothing in the URL bar and "Blank Page" in the tab.

I prefer no text in the URL bar and the text "Blank" or "Empty" in the tab.

Are these mods possible? I am not a programmer, but I don't mind digging into the program jar files if necessary (somebody first needs to help me know where to dig). However, I am hoping an easier solution exists.

Yes, this is strictly a cosmetic request, but one that I believe improves the impression one has about a product.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: about:blank in URL bar
Posted by: rmn
Date: November 21, 2006 10:02AM

I don't think it's possible without changing the program code. If you're so inclined you could file an enhancement request in the BTS.

(By the way, "(Untitled)" doesn't make sense either, so Opera's behaviour is better.)

Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 22, 2006 12:15AM

I don't think it's possible without changing the program code. If you're so inclined you could file an enhancement request in the BTS.

I just performed a content search of the entire K-M program directory and I notice that the phrase "about:blank" is embedded in the program as well as several DLLs. I will post an Improvement request. If users can modify the title of several toolbars then I hope that they could modify the text of the URL bar and blank tabs too.

(By the way, "(Untitled)" doesn't make sense either, so Opera's behaviour is better.)

I agree. Blank or Empty makes more sense, and I prefer the former.

Posted by: ACM
Date: May 13, 2007 01:40PM

Talking of the blank layer, is it possible to keep it from showing once the user has set typed URLs and bookmarks to open in new background layers? It's so annoying having it there, since it gets the focus when the user, say, opens a first url at the beginning of his browsing session and thus has to click the corresponding just opened layer to view the page.

Thanks anyone out there's eventual help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.