General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
PDF Mimetype
Posted by: Peabody
Date: December 09, 2006 01:18AM

When I select a PDF document from a link, K-M 1.02 opens the link as a new layer but does nothing further. I checked the mimetype and I selected Save to disk and Ask me, but K-M still does nothing when I select a PDF link. What else need I do?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PDF Mimetype
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 09, 2006 09:47AM

works ok in 1.02 de-AT. I reset to save in my mimetypes editor.
Maybe Ur system or k-meleon version specific? Else an issue/problem of the html page where You tried?

I tried with German legal/government download:
http://217.160.60.235/BGBL/bgbl1f/bgbl102s2654.pdf
to be sure that the html code of the page is ok.

workaround: install foxit reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php)
that has a save function that lets me save PDF documents after i opened them.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 09, 2006 04:20PM

Are you using a K-M Nauscopico (Spanish) version (by Maty)? This problem is solved in last version.
You must delete PDF plugin in KM plugin folder.
Read this thread (in spanish) for help and info:
K-Meleon Nauscopico 1.02 181006

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2006 04:21PM by desga2.

Date: December 09, 2006 08:51PM

I tried with German legal/government download:
[217.160.60.235]
to be sure that the html code of the page is ok.
I tried this link. K-M displays the URL in the URL bar but fails to load or save the file and displays only a blank page.

workaround: install foxit reader
The problem is not the reader but K-M failing to even get that far in the process. K-M simply fails to recognize the document mimetype. Why?

Date: December 09, 2006 09:24PM

Update:

I can select a doc, xls, ppt, and zip link and K-M correctly pops up the Save As dialog box, which is how I configured K-M to respond to those mimetypes. I configured pdf the same way, but K-M fails to pop up the Save As dialog box and fails to open the file. Oddly, K-M pops up the Save As box for ps files.

As an additional test, I copied the mimetypes.rdf file from CCF and then from Firefox. Neither file made a difference. My Windows config is set up for Adobe Reader as the default. Firefox works fine, as does Opera and selecting any file through the File Explorer. There is definitely something awry with K-M in failing to work correctly with pdf files.

This is frustrating because I am working on a project that requires me to access numerous PDF files and I have to use Firefox or Opera.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 10, 2006 04:55PM

I did not have any problem with the German site in Guenter's reply. I am using the standard 1.02 KM and I have the following plugin installed.

Adobe Acrobat

File name: nppdf32.dll
Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/pdf Acrobat Portable Document Format pdf Yes
application/vnd.fdf Acrobat Forms Data Format fdf Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format xfdf Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml Acrobat XML Data Package xdp Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml Adobe FormFlow99 Data File xfd Yes

The site comes up in Adobe Reader 7.0 and I can read and save from there. What version KM are you using?

Date: December 10, 2006 06:09PM

Dear Peabody:

Please, delete this file nppdf32.dll of plugin folder on K-Meleon directory and try again.
If not run copy this file from your Adobe folder to plugins folder in K-Meleon folder.

This is a problem with diferent versions between Adobe plugins and Adobe program installation.

If not run is possible that you have other pdf plugin install as foxit reader program. Only a one pdf plugin must be in plugin folder of K-Meleon. If you have some pdf plugins K-Meleon don't know that plugin must be used.

Thanks.

Date: December 11, 2006 09:03PM

nppdf32.dll
There is no such plugin in the K-M plugin folder. That was one of the first things I investigated. The DLL does not exist in my Firefox folder and Firefox works fine. The only file in the K-M plugins folder is npnul32.dll.

What version KM are you using?
Read the first post.

If not run copy this file from your Adobe folder to plugins folder in K-Meleon folder.
I copied the nppdf32.dll file from the Adobe folder to the K-M plugins folder and restarted K-M. Made no difference. K-M still opened a blank page rather than popping up the Save As dialog box or trying to open the pdf file. I tried modifying the configuration to force opening in Adobe Reader and then Foxit and that does not work either. Opening pdf files work fine in Firefox and Opera.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 20, 2006 03:01PM

Read the first post.

No - You did not tell the exact version type of the 1.02 You use!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060917 K-Meleon/1.02

// is my complete version nr. - Your language code bwas missing

- something like 1.02en-US was minimum info needed.

Reason: The problem with which the ppl wanted to help U is restricted to some of the 1.02 es-ES versions/issues - that is why the exact version was wanted!

Opening pdf files work fine in Firefox and Opera.

Guess that is system specific then.
& not serious because k-meleon is not Your default browser.

Here pdf/Foxit works with all browsers that You mentioned.

In fact works with all programs except MSIE 6

-------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 03:17PM by guenter.

Date: February 03, 2007 10:36PM

I continue to be plagued by this problem. I have tried various solutions and nothing works. When I click on any PDF link, K-M merely opens a new blank layer. All other mime types work find, but either asking me what to do, opening as the default, or providing the Save As dialog box.

If I know a link is a PDF file and select the Save Link Target As option, then the Save As dialog box appears. But a direct click results in the blank layer opening.

I use K-M most of the time these days and I would like this mime type to work. I'm using K-M 1.02, NT4 (SP6a). I've tried installing the npdf32.dll and deleting as well. I've tried various configurations within the mime type. Nada.

Works fine in Firefox (similar mimetype.rdf file), which I prefer not using. I've tried comparing the two mimetype.rdf files and saw nothing unusual. I even copied the Firefox rdf file.

I have Adobe Reader 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 installed, as well as Foxit Reader. I've tried copying different version of npdf32.dll to no avail. Currently Adobe Reader 4.0 is my default reader, although I have configured my Windows context menus to allow me to use the other versions.

I am not a developer but I can troubleshoot with the best. But I need help knowing how to methodically troubleshoot this problem.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Date: February 03, 2007 11:22PM

Hi Peabody, this is the problem;
I have Adobe Reader 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 installed, as well as Foxit Reader. I've tried copying different version of npdf32.dll to no avail

When you have many aplications to handle a file K-Meleon don't know what program must be used to open file.
You must verify that only one plugin for PDF files (npdf32.dll or similar file for Foxit) is in K-M plugins folder.
I recomended use npdf32.dll file from your default windows reader (

Currently Adobe Reader 4.0 is my default reader
) and delete all others pdf plugins in K-M plugin folder.

Saludos.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 04, 2007 02:11AM

You must verify that only one plugin for PDF files (npdf32.dll or similar file for Foxit) is in K-M plugins folder. I recomended use npdf32.dll file from your default windows reader
As the file npdf32.dll is consistently named the same with each release of Adobe Reader, installing the plugin DLL from each version is impossible. There is and only can be one npdf32.dll in the plugins directory!

And yes, I have only one such file in my plugins directory.

FWIW, I might have solved this problem.

I created a new mime type of application/x-pdf. So yes, in my mimetypes.rdf I therefore have two mimetypes for the PDF extension. I do not know why Firefox opens PDF files without this additional mime type, or why K-M now works with this mime type. Any K-M experts or devs care to take a stab at figuring this out? I'm glad I resolved the problem, but is my solution a workaround to a bug or programming deficiency?

Date: February 04, 2007 03:05PM

Peabody
As the file npdf32.dll is consistently named the same with each release of Adobe Reader, installing the plugin DLL from each version is impossible.
Yes only one file of Adobe but Foxit file is named diferent. Delete Foxit plugin.
npdf32.dll file version must be Adobe reader default (Adobe Reader 4.0). For check version of this file look file properties in context menu on windows explorer.

If this not run try with other npdf32.dll file version from other instalation version in your system.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 04, 2007 09:39PM

There are no Foxit Plugins, at least none I know about and none came with the version I am using. As I mentioned, I resolved the issue, but I would like a dev to comment on why my solution succeeded.

Posted by: kko
Date: February 05, 2007 03:13PM

@Peabody:

Can you tell me what's displayed when you open Help > About Plugins in km? What version of the Acrobat plugin is loaded? Is the application/pdf MIME Type enabled? And what is displayed in Firefox (navigate to about:plugins)?

I think, the problem is that you've set Acrobat Reader 4.0 as your default. The Mozilla browsers are only scanning for version 5.0 and higher (preference "plugin.scan.Acrobat" is set to "5.0" by default). This may result in a version conflict. Setting "plugin.scan.Acrobat" to "4.0" might resolve it.

Another possibility might be to set "plugin.scan.Acrobat" to "7.0" (disabeling it) and to copy the plugin that you want to use into km's plugins folder.

Why application/x-pdf MIME Type works?

I can only guess here. When application/pdf is associated with plugin version 4.0, plugin versions 5.0 or 6.0 (4.0 is probably not loaded by km) may not be allowed to handle this type. application/x-pdf is definitely not associated with plugin version 4.0, so plugin versions 5.0 or 6.0 can handle it. Luckily, application/x-pdf seems to be treated as application/pdf...

Date: February 05, 2007 11:46PM

What version of the Acrobat plugin is loaded?
Adobe Acrobat
File name: D:\KMeleon\plugins\nppdf32.dll
Netscape Navigator Plug-in for Adobe Acrobat v4.05

And what is displayed in Firefox (navigate to about: plugins)?
Same thing.

Is the application/pdf MIME Type enabled?
How is the mime type disabled? The mime type shows in the K-M list of mime types.

The Mozilla browsers are only scanning for version 5.0 and higher . . .
I already had disabled automatic scanning as well as configured the version numbers of those scans to lower versions. There should be no conflict.

And now that I added the x-pdf mime type, Adobe Reader 4.0 opens as expected.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.