General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
*really* nice browser.
Posted by: Hadlock
Date: May 12, 2001 10:53PM

I've only been using the browser for about 20 minutes now, but it is still most definatly quicker than IE, and messing around in the preferences, I love how easy it is to remap functions to different keys! 0.4 is starting to look *very* polished...I'm rather happy with it. The only reason I didn't win98lite IE is the lack of being able to download executables in 0.4 still... at least *I* can't figure out how to work it... I also had some trouble with the bookmarks and having K-meleon find them, but I don't use them anyways : ) The cookies function is handy, as I can now use Slashdot under my user name....*very* handy.

I can't wait for 0.5!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: *really* nice browser.
Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 13, 2001 01:05AM

You can download files via the "Save Link As" option when right clicking on the link you wish to save.

A real download dialog (and, preferably, a complete download manager) is my top priority, however, there are a few things that need to happen to the mozilla code before this can be implemented.

-- Jeff

Re: *really* nice browser.
Posted by: Danny
Date: May 13, 2001 01:38AM

Just curious, but exactly what bug are you waiting for? I looked at the To Do list, and the bug mentioned there http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46853
has been marked as invalid. Is there some other bug?

Re: *really* nice browser <-- understatement!
Posted by: timothy
Date: May 13, 2001 09:02PM

echoing sentiments above: k-meleon rocks; .4 is the first / only one I've tried -- small download (slurped it through my Merlin wireless connection -- something I am *not* about to do with Mozilla, even the binary). I will be adding the zipfile to a CD-R to carry around with my whenever I know I'll have to use windowswinking smiley My dad's machine will soon have this in addition to Mozilla, to make family visits more pleasant. And until the merlin works nicely with Linux, that means times like right now.

the few glitches I've seen have been tiny compared to the benefits -- it loads larger pages than mozilla (or IE) will without choking over this connection, lets me have more browser windows open without a barf (in 128MB of RAM), and has good keyboard controls, not to mention the beautiful interface.

That it works with WINE is icing on the cake -- esp. for those of us (not everyone I realize) who would like to be able to use Windows-intended software on a Free operating system.

Thank you for this thing you have created!

timothy

Posted by: bram
Date: May 14, 2001 11:04PM

Can't you just incoopate an existing download manager with k-meleon? There are really good (and free) ones like netvampire (www.netvampire.com) and netants (www.netants.com). Or is that impossible?

Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 14, 2001 11:21PM

At the moment, it's impossible. Mozilla doesn't send us any sort of message like "we're trying to grab this file, but we can't display it". The URIListener setup is incomplete at the moment, so we can't do it that way, and registering a UnknownContentHandler is 1) entirely undocumented, and 2) soon to be obsolete when the dialog posing is finished.

This really isn't something that I've forgotten, or just didn't get around to doing, and it will be incorporated as soon as it is available.

-- Jeff

Free Download-Manager
Posted by: Hanno
Date: May 15, 2001 09:54AM

About Download-Managers: I don´t know any free download-manager. All of them are ad-sponsored, like getright, gozilla, flashget...
Does anyone know a free (really free!) Download-Manager for WIndows?

Re: Free Download-Manager
Posted by: rir3760
Date: May 15, 2001 05:57PM

You can try DLExpert 0.98 at
http://www.yanew.com/english.htm

or LeechFTP 1.3 at
http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/downloads.html

Last one is an FTP client but it can capture and download from http and ftp.

hope this helps.

Posted by: PC
Date: May 17, 2001 04:08PM

Yes, www.opera.com great download manager.

I like the keyboard mapping and menu mapping! Other than that, very slow from what I am used to and bulkey.

MDI comming soon?

Why won't things pull from my cache. Dammit if something is in my cache, I want the back button to pull it instantly. Opera does.

Alot of missing id controls too. Needs alot of work.

The worst thing is moz think a cache is useless? Startup rather slow compared with what I am used to. Even IE is better when it gets down to it. Going to need some work on cache, startup time, making it lighter, more hot keys to start, making them more ergo nomic so I won't need to look at key board as I use them.

But God compared with MOzilla .9 or nn6 , the worlds worst browser! You are okay. Comparing with a train wreck, isn't really a good idea. They have purposely ruined the product.

Posted by: ntd
Date: May 17, 2001 08:17PM

PC I don't know what kind of porblems you're having but K-Meleon .4 opens a lot faster than IE does at least on my machine, what kinda browser are you using because all but the few times where there is an error rendering a page it renders faster than IE, but no the cache does not work when I hit back, this is a great browser already guys, good work.

ntd

Posted by: pc
Date: May 17, 2001 11:04PM

Every body puts moz against ie 4.

IE5 was faster than ie 4 and lighter. So went 5.5 and now 6.0 all are progressively quicker lighter and more stable. Everything is quicker.

That aside and my passion for Opera (instant everything.), I really would like to get a current mozilla that is useable. This back arrow and no real cache is killing me.

K is at least beginning of useability. Moz .9 is like pouring mud into the case.
Getting a real, instant cache is the next dread fully needed thing.

Yes, a grand would solve my problems. I would rather notice a problem than overlook. there is NOOOOO neeeeeed for delay at rendering a cache item other than instantly---yes even on a 486.

Any cache tricks would be help ful. Hex editing out some command on exe? Anything.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.