General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
The truth must come out...
Posted by: Grendel
Date: January 09, 2007 02:06AM

I've been having an affair with another browser. Although K-Meleon has reserved a special place in my heart all this time, I'm afraid to admit that I've outgrown her. Now, I know we've had our ups and downs, but Opera knows how to please me most. Forgive me! sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2007 02:07AM by Grendel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The truth must come out...
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 09, 2007 02:47AM

A good browser and choice - I came when Opera did not do java applets well.
IE 6 then was no good and a hopeless case // it still is :p

Except if You need ff extensions IMHO K-Meleon and Opera do the best browsing.
With the crown not always going to the same browser.
Visit us every once in a while & greetings.

btw. a browser is a he :-) // & nobody says thou shalt have no other .. browser ..
IMHO good to use each for what he does best ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2007 02:53AM by guenter.

Posted by: thewall
Date: January 10, 2007 08:55AM

IE 7 is better than all and it contributes to the humanity aid.
Over the past decade Mr Gates has made a name as one of the world's top philanthropists, with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pledging $7bn to good causes.

Posted by: neolem
Date: January 10, 2007 12:58PM

Agree, using several browsers seems the way to go right now, even if it means to set up several pieces of software differently. At least one learns something by doing so.

I'm using K-Meleon as standard browser as it quickly starts up when I get a link to click on, in an email or in news messages. For "heavy-duty browsing" I use FF as it got those special extensions for specific tasks. I should use Opera more often but have difficulties getting used to it. Sometimes, just out of habit, I start up an old Mozilla version.

Sure would be nicer if one browser could do everything. If only FF would load as fast as K-meleon.... and if only K-meleon would get improved faster.... (I'd need a somewhat usable password manager integrated with it) ;-)

Date: January 10, 2007 06:11PM

I like Opera's JavaScript engine linear_b for its speed. But Gecko not Presto is my favourite rendering engine & k-meleon is easier to fine tune than Opera.

Firefox: I try avoid to start FFox - the dealy at startup is too frustrating.
but I agree: sometimes I simply need a particular extension.
btw. the slow loading and the extensibilty both come from XUL/chrome.

For "heavy-duty browsing" I use k-meleon - he supports activeX, Roboform Adapter (only the Adapter does not know it & must be cheated:p ), Java, has Console2 extension, 1.1 will open pages with IE, Opera or Firefox ... and does not gobble up as many resources as other browsers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 06:12PM by guenter.

Posted by: warm-fuzzy
Date: January 10, 2007 07:16PM

thewall
Over the past decade Mr Gates has made a name as one of the world's top philanthropists, with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pledging $7bn to good causes.

K-Meleon does everything I need a browser to do and contributes to the warm-fuzzy feeling I get when using K-Meleon. If Gates is so great, why isn't he President?

Date: January 10, 2007 07:31PM

warm-fuzzy
K-Meleon does everything I need a browser to do and contributes to the warm-fuzzy feeling I get when using K-Meleon. If Gates is so great, why isn't he President?

LoL, what an answer.

Date: January 10, 2007 09:25PM

Well, I actually find myself going back and forth now. While I prefer Opera overall at this point, the configuration options are a bit questionable. For example, I can't import an ad-block filter -- every ad must be blocked by hand. (although I'm working on adapting a Filterset.G list at the moment) With K-Meleon, I had all my policies set up perfectly -- I could block referers, ads, pop-ups, images, cookies, etc. I prefered having the ability to allow certain elements within specific sites only. For example, I had my image policy set to where all third-party images were blocked, unless I specified which servers were allowed. With cookies, I had all sites blocked, except for a short list of sites I frequent, to which the browser would still not accept third-party cookies. To sum my policy up:

- Block referers.
- Block all images except those coming from servers on the excluded list.
- Block all cookies, except those coming directly from the specified sites I visit. (third-party cookies are blocked altogether, though)
- Block all ads. (via Adblock Plus)
- Block all popups.
- Block certain Javascript elements. (moving / resizing windows, and other intrusive things)

With Opera, it seems I can only do the following:

- Block referers.
- Block all images. There seems to be no way to set exceptions.
- Block all cookies. There seems to be no way to set exceptions.
- Block some ads, and only on a manual basis.
- Block all popups.
- Block certain Javascript elements.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 10, 2007 10:23PM

I'm using both Opera since v5 and K-Meleon since v0.8.
Both browsers have some pros and contras.
The main reason I prefer K-Meleon over Opera is because it is faster on my system.

Regarding some shortcomings of Opera:
Since I use Proxomitron (gives you far better control over the browser than AdBock+) AdBlock+ is a no issue for me.
You can get rid of most ads by using Opera's urlfilter.ini. However Opera doesn't support regex.
Regarding cookies Opera has also the option to accept only cookies from the site you visit. You can set this option globally. Besides you can manage cookies site specific in "Site preferences".

Date: January 10, 2007 10:30PM

Yogi, thanks for the urlfilter link. This helps immensely. smiling smiley

Posted by: MrBuzzbuzz
Date: January 11, 2007 05:10AM

[quok-meleon -te=guenter][/quote] he supports activeX, Roboform Adapter (only the Adapter does not know it & must be cheated tongue sticking out smiley )
how, Guenter? I only use FF because of occasional need for RoboForm

Posted by: poohbear
Date: January 11, 2007 05:18AM

I'm guessing you do know about 'opera:config'?

Date: January 11, 2007 06:26AM

MrBuzzbuzz
RoboForm
SM version edited. We use the same GRE after all. That why i started to try.

Many Years back THEY claimed that Roboform does not work for k-meleon
- jsnj has had his doubts then already ( i did not understand why ... ).

P. s. does any here know some js - we need a better starter? I only call SM starter,
then i click the SM starter, then I change the html page .... then it works.

Roboform resides at the bottom of k-m but that is ok. i want it to reside there anyway. We have to find a transfer to other PC & get a better start.
Some will complain about bottom position but ...
Some other browsers have the same problem.

Roboform works; the process is IMHO artificially castrated by Roboform.
So far i have cheated Roboform to believe it is run by a SeaMonkey called k-meleon. I can do it on any PC here. If here it should work on any k-m PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 06:28AM by guenter.

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: January 11, 2007 10:03AM

Are you on drugs? It's still the same ancient engine, and it contributes to the headaches of web developers all over the world. Just because a key person of M$ contributes money to humanity aid doesn't mean its browser does good.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/07/1431210

Date: January 11, 2007 02:12PM

BenoitRen
Are you on drugs? It's still the same ancient engine, and it contributes to the headaches of web developers all over the world. Just because a key person of M$ contributes money to humanity aid doesn't mean its browser does good.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/07/1431210

Firefox = $$$$$$$ as IE.

http://www.calacanis.com/2006/03/06/firefox-mozilla-corporation-mozilla-foundation-made-72m-last

Date: January 11, 2007 07:27PM

@poohbear thx for posting - all such info is of use in a browser forum;
I knew & find it easier to tweak k-m to do my bidding since i use k-m longer.

@thewall: Good to hear that Mozilla foundation made money to fund development.
and that Mr. Gates spends money on charities. Now BenoitRen felt Your post is OT or wrong in a bad way. Plz do not continue to post OT. thx.

Date: January 12, 2007 11:40AM
Date: January 12, 2007 07:52PM

How can all Your ever posted at: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/search.php?0,search=thewall,page=1,match_type=AUTHOR,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL help with K-Meleon user questions?

Compare Your intentions with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait about flamebait posting. Plz don't continue. thx.

Date: January 13, 2007 03:33PM

guenter
How can all Your ever posted at: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/search.php?0,search=thewall,page=1,match_type=AUTHOR,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL help with K-Meleon user questions? Compare Your intentions with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait about flamebait posting. Plz don't continue. thx.

I must apologize to you all for my post specially to you Guenter. I put it here with no harmful intention. I probably misunderstanded Grendel post when I thought that Grendel does not like K-Meleon at all. I read in the page 4 of this forum a thread started by Grendel with 1253 views and 60 posts with the title "That's it, I'm going back to Firefox", and now he claims he likes Opera. I am sorry, again. Please, have a nice day and thanks for the advisory. Goodbye.

Date: January 15, 2007 07:41PM

@thewall, sorry that i missunderstood Your intentions - if You want You can have my
comments sanitized . Your were right that is what Admins also do.

Posted by: guido_ar
Date: January 16, 2007 08:23AM

cheating roboform adapter to work with k-meleon? that sounds very interesting guenter. can you post something about how to do that?

Posted by: Kerux
Date: January 18, 2007 09:55PM

Well I use three browers at the mo: IE7, FF & K-Meleon and overall I like K the best simply because I find it simple and fast. The only improvement I would make would be to stick an add-on like IE7s Stumble or FFs yono or whatever it's called. Then it would be truly great!

Blessings: Kerux <><

Blessings: Kerux <><

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.