General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
varia buttons menu
Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: January 09, 2007 12:57PM

As a big k-meleon fan I always want to improve and customize my own way of using the browser and work more efficiently.

In this respect I have two questions:
* is there a way to create for example a button on the toolbar for "about:cache"?
* is there a possibility to have in the right click image menu an item such as "set image as desktop background" (as in flock) or "use image on desktop" (as in Opera)?

Thx a lot

Mala Okeh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: varia buttons menu
Date: January 13, 2007 06:02PM

Apparently no one is interested in my former small questions. Yet I persevere: I have another question: is it possible to create a kmm-macro to show bookmarks in a sidebar?

Thx

Mala Okeh

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 13, 2007 09:15PM

I'm sorry, but I don't know what the answer is.

Most probably it's possible because K-Meleon is really customizable to the maximun, but I don't know how.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 14, 2007 01:53AM

What in the world... I could've sworn I typed out a reply to this. Oh well.

#1 You can create a button for about:config easily, I would say. Just poke around a bit. Searching for "toolbar" on the forums should yield a few helpful results. If you don't want to mess with it, I can probably whip something up by the end of the week (shortage of time lately).

#2 This question has been asked before. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't seen any evidence of success with it when it has been asked before.

#3 It's not exactly a macro, but bookmarks(sidebar) is about as close as it gets. bookmarks is the plugin and sidebar is the action/feature that will be provoked. For instance, in the accelerators file, you could add a line like the following (this line already exists in some recent versions of K-Meleon):
VK_F4 = bookmarks(sidebar)

This makes the sidebar appear when you press the F4 key. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Brian

Date: January 14, 2007 08:59AM

Thx a lot for the suggestions but I must admit that I can't solve neither of the problems by my own even after your suggestions.

@ bst82551: I would appreciate it if you could find the time in the near future to create an about:config- or an about:cache-button.

* problem sidebar: the best I can get is an empty sidebars entry in the toolbar (see figure http://webs.hogent.be/~bvae240/kmeleon/sidebar.jpg): how do you fill it with bookmarks?

Best regards

Mala Okeh

Date: January 15, 2007 07:46PM

THIS MESSAGE WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN BY DESGA2

You can acces to about:config type it in URL bar and select in menu Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration.
You can acces to about:cache type it in URL bar and select in menu View -> Cache Information (but this is not exactly an about:cache).

If you like create an icon in toolbar for this propose you can doing this:
0) Close all K-Meleon windows and Loader.

1) You must open toolbars.cfg file (\k-meleon\skins[skin-name]) from skin that you are using. For this example i selected Phoenity skin.

2) Select an icon from menu.bmp for example (\k-meleon\skins[skin-name]) for toolbar icon. This files begining from left with number zero for first icon. For this example i selected 17 icon.
(Or you can created a new icon with some icon tool, 16x16 size, and save it as bmp file in skin folder)

3) Write in toolbars.cfg this code or similar (I put it between "&Search Buttons" and "&Go Buttons" sections):
Config Buttons{
    %ifplugin macros
    Config{
    macros(AllPrefs)|Config
    Show All config options.
    menu.bmp[17]
    }
    %endif
}

Save changes in file and run K-Meleon.
4) Note:
For this example macro already exist. If macro not exist you must creted it and save it in macros.cfg file (in your profile folder). In example the macros used is:
AllPrefs{
$xul="about:config"; &XUL;
}
You can try create this new macro for view cache info (don't forgoten save changes in macros.cfg file):
CacheInfo{
$xul="about:cache"; &XUL;
}
In code toolbars.cfg file change "AllPrefs" string for "CacheInfo" and save changes.

If you creted a new icon change "menu.bmp" string in toolbars.cfg file for "[your icon name].bmp", number in brackets is position of icon in file (0 for first or only one icon).

I wait helped you a litle, Mala, I'm working in "set image as desktop background".
I tell you when finished it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 15, 2007 08:11PM

Yes, all right, i was considered a spammer to post this message.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2007 08:33PM by desga2.

Date: January 16, 2007 08:42AM

Thx a lot, enaitz. Your solutions all worked out perfectly to create an 'about config-' and an 'about cache-'button.

Can't wait to see your solution for 'set image as desktop background'.

Once again thx,

Mala Okeh

Date: January 16, 2007 09:13AM

Thanks to you, but please note this was not my solution but Desga2 solution. I hd to post it because Desga2 was having some trouble to do it.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 20, 2007 08:40PM

I'm sorry Mala, but i was tried something for 'set image as desktop background' but no result obtained for me.
I think that 'set image as desktop background' option is unnecesary. And it can be unsecure for KM.

I'm found 2 big problems:

1) I dont know as automatic save image file in KM without use 'Save Image As' dialog. I haven't form to know what file name and path had be used for file.

2) I must be distinction with diferent image file formats. Files .BMP not equal to files .JPG, ...

Almost i have used other program languages as .BAT or .CMD, or WSH, or JavaScript for do it possible. (unsecures)
Languages as .BAT or .CMD and WSH, isn't suported for all windows system (only in winXP and win2000).

Others minors problem are style configuration for wallpaper; fit, center, mosaic, ... some of this depend on image size, resolution and caracteristics.

I'm sorry, but for the moment, 'set image as desktop background' option not be a good idea. It is best doing manually; save as image file and config display options for desktop in your system.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2007 08:40PM by desga2.

Date: January 21, 2007 10:07PM

Thx a lot, Desga2, for your efforts.

As in life and in the popular song "You can't always get what you want, so get what you need" or "want what you get".
I know saving image as desktop item is perhaps a gadget, but I like it in other browsers - perhaps it will be possible in a future version.
The other two items were for me way important - and for your solutions to these two once again thanks.

Mala Oleh

Posted by: Peabody
Date: January 21, 2007 10:10PM

is there a way to create for example a button on the toolbar for "about:cache"?
My solution for K-M and Firefox was to create bookmarks in my Personal Toolbar for both about:cache and about:config. Simple and straightforward. Not a button (I like buttons too), but functional.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.