General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
asian language support warning
Posted by: JF
Date: January 23, 2007 12:23PM

Hi,
I'm using K-M 1.02 german. Everytime I want to access certain web pages K-M warns, that I should go to the control panel and install language modules (korean, japanese) in order to view that page correctly.
I'm not sure, how K-M decides this, because some web pages that are chinese, eg, don't trigger that warning.
From the windows point of view, it is not recommended to install these language options, if they are not really needed. So I'd like to know, how I can disable these warnings.
Best regards
JF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: asian language support warning
Posted by: desga2
Date: January 23, 2007 06:41PM

Hi JF, What are your configuration in menu View -> Charset? Are you tried to change it?

You can try add this languages (korean, japanese, chinese) in this about:config line:

intl.accept_languages

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: kko
Date: January 23, 2007 08:57PM

JF
I'm not sure, how K-M decides this, because some web pages that are chinese, eg, don't trigger that warning.

I guess, that depends on the character encoding of the page you're viewing.

JF
From the windows point of view, it is not recommended to install these language options, if they are not really needed.

Correct. So, when you get an alert, they are needed. As far as I remember now, IE shows the same warnings.

JF
So I'd like to know, how I can disable these warnings.

I don't know any way to disable this in km. Have you tried to view the pages in IE? Maybe you can disable it there.

Date: January 24, 2007 09:08AM

Hi -
thanks for responding!

2desga2:
yes, I tried a couple of charset settings: iso-8859-1, utf-8, automatic detection: off, universal

2kko:
Actually I don't *really* need these files - the page displays fine without it. The only thing is, that I get the warnings mentionend above.
I tried with the address www.debian.org - no warning with IE6, three warnings with KM. I don't remember exactly how it was with Firefox, but I think it didn't issue a warning. Hmmmm.

Date: January 24, 2007 09:18AM

Well - Firefox 2.0.0.1 indeed doesn't show the warning. Seamonkey 1.1, otoh, does.

It appears to me that the cause of the warnings are some chars that are used in entity notation: &#20013, eg.

Date: January 24, 2007 11:32AM

Me - again.

FYI, it seems like the problem can be solved by simply installing appropriate ttf's.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.