General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Souce code for tabbed version?
Date: February 07, 2007 08:14PM

Does anyone have the source code for the original tabbed version of k-meleon (the exe is found here: Tabbed.) I would like to study how it's done and attempt to incorporate it's code into 1.1a2, so hopefully it will stick with future versions. Thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Souce code for tabbed version?
Posted by: Peabody
Date: February 07, 2007 11:38PM

...attempt to incorporate it's code into 1.1a2
That would be wonderful!! I would love to see 1.1 bring true tabs to the scene, which would solve several usability issues. I am willing to test if you succeed in migrating the code!

Re: Source code for tabbed version?
Date: February 08, 2007 12:22AM

If you successfully convert K-M to a true tabbed browser, here are some features and problems that would be more easily resolved than with a layered version. Thus, anybody who attempts this wonderful idea might want to keep the following in mind:

1. The ability to use the existing blank tab when that tab is the only tab open.
2. Drag-and-drop reordering of tabs.
3. The ability to reopen multiple closed tabs from a list.
4. A page context menu item to close the current tab.
5. A toolbar button to toggle a web site's style sheets.
6. Individual close buttons on each tab in addition to the global close button on the tool bar.
7. The ability to remember search criteria when moving from one tab to another.
8. The ability to customize the look of each tab based upon status: an ability to colorize or support rich text with the tab text for a) page loading, 2) page color, 3) page unread, etc.
9. Better support for disabling the tab URL tool tip balloons.
10. Session restore remembers which tab had the focus when K-Meleon was closed.
11. Duplicating an open tab.
12. By using true tabs rather than layers, K-M also will no longer jump all over the Windows task bar.

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: February 08, 2007 11:56AM

Let's not go too far with tab features, okay? Less is more. winking smiley

Date: February 09, 2007 12:06AM

Less is more. winking smiley
I respectfully disagree. I'm tired of these minimalist movements, which essentially equates to crippled software.. Features should be available, but easily disabled by those who do not want them.

Date: February 09, 2007 09:30AM

Minimalist? I use SeaMonkey, if that tells you anything. Let me elaborate:

This wouldn't be trivial to implement, and I think being enable to reopen one tab is enough. Because I think this feature would only be used in the case of "Oh shit, I didn't want to close this tab!".

What does this have to do with tabs?

6. Individual close buttons on each tab in addition to the global close button on the tool bar.
Why both at once? Pick a default and give the option to change to the other.

7. The ability to remember search criteria when moving from one tab to another.
?

8. The ability to customize the look of each tab based upon status: an ability to colorize or support rich text with the tab text for a) page loading, 2) page color, 3) page unread, etc.
I feel that this goes a bit too far...

10. Session restore remembers which tab had the focus when K-Meleon was closed.
Same. Though as long as you don't use it to remember tabs after a crash (which is an excuse to not see crashes as critical), it wouldn't be that bad, I guess.

Posted by: rmn
Date: February 09, 2007 01:37PM

Hi,

I suggest you contact Dorian or Hao through e-mail for the source code.

Posted by: kko
Date: February 09, 2007 02:45PM

simpleinventor
Does anyone have the source code for the original tabbed version of k-meleon
AFAIK this code is not open source.

simpleinventor
I would like to study how it's done and attempt to incorporate it's code into 1.1a2
If it was so easy, Dorian had already integrated it, don't you think?

simpleinventor
so hopefully it will stick with future versions.
Tabs are planed for km 1.2.

Peabody
1. The ability to use the existing blank tab when that tab is the only tab open.
WFM.

Peabody
What about groups/sessions? Or the improved Undo Last Closed feature in km 1.1?

Peabody
4. A page context menu item to close the current tab.
You can easily do that yourself.

Peabody
Look into the macro library.

Peabody
11. Duplicating an open tab.
Right-click the Go button and choose "Open In New Page".

Peabody
12. By using true tabs rather than layers, K-M also will no longer jump all over the Windows task bar.
Yep! I'm looking forward to it.

Peabody
BenoitRen
Less is more. winking smiley
I respectfully disagree. I'm tired of these minimalist movements, which essentially equates to crippled software.. Features should be available, but easily disabled by those who do not want them.
I'd sign BenoitRen's statement. Features require resources, even when disabled. It's not our aim to create a second Firefox (I mean that in regard to the GUI's look and feel here). Not the least strength of km is its lean GUI wich results in high usability and responsiveness on older hardware. And I guess, that's not the least reasons why especially you, Peabody, are using, aren't you?

Date: February 09, 2007 03:10PM

With regards to duplicating a tab, I believe he meant not only duplicating its current page, but its entire history as well.

Posted by: rmn
Date: February 09, 2007 03:38PM

kko
simpleinventor
Does anyone have the source code for the original tabbed version of k-meleon
AFAIK this code is not open source.

Isn't that... um... illegal, according to the GPL? Anyway, doesn't hurt to ask Dorian to make sure.

Date: February 10, 2007 08:41PM

It's not our aim to create a second Firefox (I mean that in regard to the GUI's look and feel here).
In a simple comparison, if Firefox used the native Windows environment (or QT for KDE users in GNU/Linux), rather than the contemptible XUL interface (and GTK in GNU/Linux), which is as slow as an old dog in August, I'd use Firefox in a heartbeat as my sole browser. I have been able to configure Firefox exactly the way I want to browse, but the XUL interface defeats half of my effort. XUL is just too slow. I only wish some sharp hackers would migrate about a half dozen of the extensions from the slow XUL/JavaScript code to native C code and then Firefox would be ideal.

I use K-M because of the native widgets and interface, which as everybody here knows, provides a faster interface. But not having several features that are now considered by many people to be standard, leaves me wishing for more. K-M has so much to offer simply because the native interface is so much faster than just about any other browser available, but when people test K-M coming from another browser environment, most are left frustrated. Most of the tab options I listed above are now standard features in most tabbed browsers. K-M cannot offer those features because of the layers technology rather than a true tabbed browser.

Some people are challenged to envision how some of the features might seem useful rather than exotic. But often, like many unused features, once used and experiencd people wonder how they previously survived without those features. For example, after I tried using the drag-and-drop reordering of tabs, in both Firefox and Opera, I realized the usefulness of this feature and truly miss this feature when using K-M.

Perhaps adding those features does indeed add content and overall weight to the code. Opera seems mighty fast and offers most of these same features, as well as others. So I am unconvinced that extra code necessarily slows a browser or makes the browser less useful.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.