General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Link problems
Posted by: shakushinnen
Date: February 08, 2007 01:44AM

Hi,
Outlook Express links do not open in K-Meleon. How can I correct this?
Also, how do I configure K-meleon to open Outlook Express for reading mail, and open mailto links in Outlook Express?
I'm using windows 98se and do not have IE installed.
Thanks,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 01:45AM by shakushinnen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Link problems
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 08, 2007 12:43PM

1.) Set K-meleon as default should correct that system opens all mail links with K-meleon; If it does not work like that it is specific to Your personal OS install.

2.) Tools menue > Configure Mail - Outlook is set as default client ( in case Your system does not show it ). So click Read E-Mail should usually work witjou reconfiguring it.

Info given on basis of a 1.02 de-AT.

Posted by: kko
Date: February 09, 2007 02:47PM

Outlook Express links do not open in K-Meleon. How can I correct this?

As guenter said you have to set km as your default browser (Edit > Advanced Preferences). But there is some chance that this won't help. That's because OE uses IE's layout engine to render HTML mails. (Same problem with Compiled HTML Help files, *.CHM)

Also, how do I configure K-meleon to open Outlook Express for reading mail...

Choose "Configure Mail..." from the mail button's right click menu and enter the correct path to the OE executable.

...and open mailto links in Outlook Express?

Km does that automatically, provided OE is properly set up as your default mail client. Normally you do that in the Control Panel's Internet Options.

I'm using windows 98se and do not have IE installed.

That might be counter productive here since IE and OE somehow belong together.

Date: February 13, 2007 04:55PM

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have abandoned OE, for the moment, and installed Foxmail, which works very well, except that I have the same problems. The 'read mail' function will open Foxmail, but the 'new message' function does nothing, nor can I open mailto links in web pages. They also do nothing. I have K-Meleon as my default browser. Any ideas?
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 04:57PM by shakushinnen.

Date: February 13, 2007 06:46PM

Are sure you've set Foxmail as your default mail client?

Open the Control Panel's Folder Options and there the File Types tab. Search for the File Type "URL:MailTo Protocol" and check its settings. Make sure there's an open action defined for this type. Make also sure that the command line given for this action is correct and that DDE is disabled.

Date: February 14, 2007 12:48AM

Hi KKO,
Yes I have this. It's set to "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FOXMAIL\FOXMAIL.EXE"
but I'm using 98se, so this is under Explorer's "Folder Options" menu. (I'm sure it's the same thing.) Should I have something on the end of this instruction, like ????%1 or somesuch?
John

Date: February 14, 2007 07:06PM

At first, you have to figure out the correct format for the path in the Folder Options.

1) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FOXMAIL\FOXMAIL.EXE" (including the quotes)
2) C:\PROGRA~1\FOXMAIL\FOXMAIL.EXE (no quotes)

One of these should work i.e. Foxmail should open when you click a mailto: link.

Then you have to append parameters to the path, at least %1, to make Foxmail open the Compose Message window. Personally, I don't know Foxmail, so I can't help you with that. Look into the application's help/documentation.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 15, 2007 07:17AM

shakushinnen,

Give me a mailto link that does NOT work with Foxmail.

I am also using W98se and I am using Foxmail 3.11:

C:\foxmail\foxmail.exe

Above is also what I use in KM 1.0.2's Mail settings.

I have not experienced any problems and I did not add %1 to the Internet Control Panel settings under Programs where Foxmail is listed as my default email client.

N

Date: March 28, 2007 02:38AM

Hi,
I have K-Meleon mail configured to
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\FOXMAIL\FOXMAIL.EXE" /mailurl:%1
This opens Foxmail, When I click on a mail link, but does not open up a new letter with the link address in the "To" field, as I would exect it to.
John
P.S. Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but this forum doesn't seem to send out notifications about replies and I sometimes forget to check in.

Date: March 28, 2007 05:37PM

I've tried it with FoxMail 5.0 now. WFM.

In FoxMail, go to Tools > Options...
On the General tab, in the 'Start up' section, check 'Check whether FoxMail is default mailer'.
Restart FoxMail and when you are asked to make it the default mailer, confirm pressing Yes.
Also works for mailto links clicked in K-Meleon.

The correct command line for the Folder Options' File Types is: "C:\Program Files\FoxMail\Foxmail.exe" %1

Date: May 02, 2007 05:14PM

Hi kko
You say, "The correct command line for the Folder Options' File Types is: "C:\Program Files\FoxMail\Foxmail.exe" %1"
Which "file type" are you referring to?
John

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.