General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to view Google Video?
Posted by: unigoombah
Date: March 17, 2007 03:31PM

I must be missing something really simple here. Perhaps it's because I'm using K-Ninja, but I doubt it. I just installed the browser and went to view a google video. The old blank white window with "click here to get the plug-in". I click the icon and it changes to another icon that reads "after installing the plug-in, click here". But nothing happens. I assume they want Adobe Flashplayer 7 so I download and install it from their site and still no go. I reinstall it directly into the Kmeleon plugin folder, and still no workeee.

Then I go ahead and download and install vlc player. Still can't play google videos. Just get the "click here to install plug-in." How do I coordinate the vlc player with kmeleon/mozilla? Or is that the wrong question? Why is this so complicated. I messed around with Flock browser last week and then came back to using kmeleon primarily because it just seems more intuitive for me. But Flock downloads and installs with all the media player and codecs ready to go. Why is it such a hassle with kmeleon?

I saw another thread here that suggests...

...download and install a Netscape 7.2 - and then copy his plugins folder/directory to the same folder/location ( plugins ) at k-meleon install folder. That will give You a good range of pre-configured players, java machine ... without any hussel.

Is this really the only way to get good viewer/codec capability in kmeleon?
Thank you very much for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to view Google Video?
Date: March 17, 2007 03:59PM

HOLY CRAP is this IRRITATING!!!!!

I downloaded Netscape 7.2 and copied the plugin contents over to kmeleons plugin folder. Voila - everything works fine.

BONUS! I also got a weather channel hookup complete with utility tray and desktop icons and audible reminders that I can't seem to shut off. And I got a desktop promo to try "AOL three months for FREE". God only knows what other shit I've got joy riding around on my harddrive now for having downloaded Netscape. I uninstalled Netscape "and all of its components" as it says in the uninstall window, restarted the computer, and the browser is gone, BUT ALL THE AFOREMENTIONED CRAP IS STILL THERE!!!!!

This is precisely the kind of junk I'm working so hard to avoid by using a browser like kmeleon in the first place. Now I'm tempted to totally erase/reconfig my harddrive and start over. Can anyone help me here? If I reinstall kmeleon, how the hell can I get a good package of viewers/codecs to function with it?

Date: March 17, 2007 04:01PM

Oh, by and by... Netscape also did something spooky to my wireless configuration and is messing with my head big-time. Jesus this is maddening.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 17, 2007 06:48PM

No, it is not the only way to install a Netscape 4.7 - 8.X to get plugins but the easiest way to get Netscape plugins and get them configured.

More info how to install Netscape plugins at Mozilla and more specialized for K-Meleon.

No dea from what place You got that promotional; It has nothing to do with the normal Nescape7.2 Full installer download from the Netscape browser archives.

Check in System/Software what else You clicked and have installed thus.

If that is no success.

Take e.g. ccleaner and clean autostart of software not by vendors that You like. Autostart should only contain: Firewall, Virussoft, other security soft, hardwarevendors soft(maybe) Microsoft items // ccleaner does not show all. For more info use Autoruns by Sysinternals Utilities: System Information view Autoruns program section they called "logon".

Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware should get run if You have any.
Confirm if it does the job or ask again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 09:25PM by guenter.

Date: March 17, 2007 09:23PM

This is where I downloaded it from. This appears to me to be the "normal" netscape download site affiliated with the product.

http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/archive72x.jsp

This is EXACTLY the site you refer me to. I can guarantee you that the shit I mentioned comes bundled with the download from that site.

I'd like to get rid of the AOL promo, but deleting it "does not unistall the program" I am reminded when I just try to remove it. I have to go to Add/Remove programs to accomplish this the little window reminder tells me. There is no AOL file of any type in my add/remove programs. This is such BULLSHIT. Like I said. This sort of stuff is EXACTLY what motivated me, and many many others, to migrate toward efforts like Kmeleon. I'm not about to chase my tail around the laptop for another five hours with security software trying to repair this horseshit.

I'm just going to have to reconfig my harddrive and install everything over again. I'll look for more "surgical" ways of getting the plugins from the links you provided. If I keep having problems, then screw it -- I'll go back to Flock and good riddance.

Date: March 17, 2007 10:42PM

I garatee that I tested it! Before You even posted this March 17, 2007 21:23:59.

I even deleted my download from 2005 just in case ppl at Netscape had changed their habits; No they did not.

Their software did not install any rubbish, malware or advertisement here.

I used
NSSetup-Full.exe
for my test.

Netscape only tried to insist that I enlist for a free ID of theirs.

It is technically possible that Netscape spoofs IPs and sends me another exe. I doubt it, but the technique and thus the chance exists. But even if that is the case that is not my fault. I am German with a German IP. They are Your country man - if they ruin the counsel I gave, I leave it to You and Your nation to exchange insults about it internally.

I will not have this in public and not here. Go, complain and get counsel by them. Just leave me and this forum out if You must wetten/sharpen Your tongue - no matter whether my counsel or anyones counsel here was right or wrong.

p. s. I informed You how to deactivate the advertisement - but if You insist to refurbish Your hdd, do so because i do not care.

BTW. I do not care either which browser You use - as long as it is not K-Meleon smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2007 12:17AM

Well, huf huf. If you'd rather I just didn't use kmeleon, as your last sentence seems to read.. why did you waste so much energy getting around to telling me so.

One sentence would have sufficed.

Get out from behind your keyboard man and get some fresh air. Gotta make your world a little bigger if lil'ol me pissed you off so bad. I really wasn't being that hostile.

G'day

Date: March 18, 2007 02:38AM

You were pure aggression to me.

I answer always as good as I could. I charge no fee - and I do not think I was much wrong much (if at all); but it is possible that I am wrong much because I (like any human) can be wrong :-(

BTW. This is the best browser - I know that (I think so anyway) and I do not care if You use another browser or K-Meleon (because I continue to use the best browser anyway :-)

Lets be straight - I have the licence to delete posts - I wanted You to stop and change behaviour - i could have made Your post disapear without answer - I will help You if I can. All here will - but not at any condition. We also have young ppl here - and You must be an example to them too.

Greetings and best weekend - hope You do not have to work on Saturday and Sunday

guenter

p.s. If You feel they sent You another software package use a proxy from Europe
that makes sure that they are likely to send the same software package that they send me.

Make sure You have cookies cleared and cache. They can identify location via IP
and PC ID via cookies - but there is a "rumored" way to trace ppl via cache also.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 20, 2007 01:42AM

unigoombah,

If you don't mind my intrusion into your dialog. A couple of points about K-Meleon. It is known as the tinker's browser. Since the philosophy is to use macro scripting language wherever possible and XUL XPI only when forced to, users here have become used to the necessity of having to install, reinstall, tinker and change how things work as a regular thing.

Guenter was right to tell you to use Netscape to get the proper plugins. For whatever reason that did not work for you. If you would like to continue to try to make KM work for you, just keep on posting here and please do not get discouraged if it doesn't work the first time around. (It didn't for me and I stuck around and am glad I did so).

Yours.

N

Date: March 20, 2007 09:26PM

When unigoombah can verify that Netscape now has foul downloads I sanitize my old posts.
But he cannot use foul words. If he feels that I am wrong he can appeal to other spam Admins.

Posted by: goldenwater
Date: March 21, 2007 09:41AM

Are Netscape plugins GNU or not?
Why Kmeleon does not include them in the installation package?

Date: March 21, 2007 11:42AM

No, most are not GNU. AFAIK it is a free to use plugin modell. But You can use it for anything even for things that need a licence. Commercial browser versions have licence to ship Real, Quicktime ... plugin and player, Java and runtime (JVM).

It is also a matter of download size. You would not have the assorted lot - but maybe the activeX plugin for the players, that is small and the sourcecode is available.

Our downloads at SF must be based on a accessible sourcecode so we will never be able to include certain things like Real or Quicktime plugin.

p. s. Untill IE 5.5 update 2 all browser used this plugin modell. Your IE folder may still have a plugins sub-folder that contains usable Netcape plugins that can be copied to k-meleon plugin folder.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 21, 2007 01:01PM

unigoombah,

It is not necessary to install Netscape to view Google video. I have never had Netscape and I can view the video just fine. I got flash by using a program called "Install_flash_player.exe". It is version 9.0.28.0 I don't remember which site but I am sure I got it off of the internet somewhere.

James

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 21, 2007 07:15PM

I'm not sure if I got it right but if it's only about Google videos...
The only file you need in order to view Google videos (flash) is the NPSWF32.dll.
Put it in K-Meleon's plugins folder and you are done.
I did upload the Macromedia NPSWF32.dll v.9.0.28.0
(Checksum- MD5: 66e103fd10c5ec43f8a075a678d108e5)
to zShare

Posted by: king3sparrow
Date: March 22, 2007 05:33PM

yogi,
thankx man, it works.............

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.