General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
profile folder is copied to %appdata%
Posted by: Nestea
Date: May 08, 2007 07:38AM

Why if i use the package without installer the profile folder is copied to the application data folder when i start k-meleon?

some time ago it was not that way? why the change?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: profile folder is copied to %appdata%
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: May 08, 2007 08:17AM

Because probably the file profile.ini is include in the package.

Think of, next time, to delete the file before launching K-Meleon.

>Why this change?

Probably an error from the guy who makes the package. But I think that the official realease is and must be in Setup package which handles the possibility to change it and by default uses %appdata%

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 08:17AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 08, 2007 11:43AM

¿A que versión te estas refiriendo, qué paquete, cómo se llama el fichero que descargaste?

Como indica Alain es la presencia del archivo "profile.ini" en el directorio de instalación de K-Meleon el que le indica al programa donde debe crear el perfil de los usuarios. Si éste archivo existe serán creados en el subdirectorio "Profiles" dentro de la carpeta de instalación de K-Meleon. Si éste fichero no existe entonces K-Meleon crea los perfiles en la carpeta del usuario de windows;
C:\Documents and Settings[usuario]\Datos de programa\K-Meleon

El contenido del archivo "profile.ini" es el siguiente:
[profile]
path=Profiles
IsRelative=1

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 08, 2007 12:10PM

Several reasons possible. A person that made an install package may have a profile.ini to get a custom install with profile in directory for various reasons.

The most recent test K-Meleon 1.1 have profiles that are not compatible with older versions. To add a profile.ini can be a security messure to pass them out. That way each k-meleon must create its own profile in the own folder ( 1.1 will make automatic backup off older profiles but such things can fail).

Best create an update of Your profile when You have older Profiles e. g. from 1.02 or create new profile for the new version and make that You are asked at start which profile You want to use.

To have a profile.ini in install folder is a habbit of ppl that have more than one k-meleon or that use the same k-meleon install from more than one Windows install. That is the easiest way to configure that each k-meleon can start its own profile from one location.

Some ppl that use K-Meleon for a long time probably also have it that way for nostalgia because the profile was by default in the install folder untill 0.9.
Saludos to PE and ES from DE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 12:20PM by guenter.

Posted by: kko
Date: May 08, 2007 01:54PM

Why if i use the package without installer the profile folder is copied to the application data folder when i start k-meleon?

Because this is the default behavior. The installer will create a file called profile.ini in the km root directory when you deselect multi-user profiles. This file is not included in the zip package. You have to create it yourself when you want to have your profile in the km root folder (see desga2's post above).

some time ago it was not that way?

It is this way since km 1.0.

why the change?

Because km must be able to write to your profile directory. Users of Windows NT/2k/XP/2003/Vista usually dont have the privileges to write into the km root folder. The %appdata% directory is the correct location for such systems - which are the most common today.

Posted by: Nestea
Date: May 09, 2007 07:59AM

kko
> It is this way since km 1.0.
I think to remember I downloaded the 1.02 non installer package some time ago with the profile.ini in k-meleon's install folder as I did not change anything and the profile folder was in there. It was the 22nd 01 07.

I don't know... maybe it was the the installer version I used that day. But if a programm has a non-installer package I tend to or always use that one.

rest
ok thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2007 08:00AM by Nestea.

Posted by: Baov
Date: May 30, 2007 06:18AM

When i create a profile.ini inside the k-meleon root folder, it will automatically create a folder called "Profile" at the same location as the profile.ini file. I want to point it to another folder. What must i write inside the profile.ini to redirect it?

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 30, 2007 11:47AM

- You can changed your path profile folder in menu:
Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Settings Folder

- Or changed directly the code in profile.ini file:
This is original code for profile.ini file:
[profile]
path=profiles
IsRelative=1

If you change it for: