General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Recommended user-agent string.
Posted by: Ron Buckman
Date: May 16, 2001 06:28AM

The following is the recommended user-agent string that you can use for K-Meleon, if you are using Windows 98. You can change the user-agent string, by clicking Edit, Preferences, Advanced, and then clicking the Identify Browser As: textbox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; N; Win98; en-US; rv:0.9) Gecko/20010511 KMeleon/0.4

If you are using any of the following versions of Windows, you should substitute the appropriate code for "Win98".

Windows 95 : Win95
Windows NT 4.0 : WinNT4.0
Windows 2000: Windows NT 5.0
Windows ME : Win 9x 4.90

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommended user-agent string.
Posted by: Alex Farran
Date: May 17, 2001 08:24AM

Ron Buckman wrote:

> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; N; Win98; en-US; rv:0.9) Gecko/20010511
> KMeleon/0.4
>

But if you want sites that check the browser ID to let you in, you have to change KMeleon/0.4 to the name of a browser they know about.

Then mail them about being so stupid.

Alex

Re: Recommended user-agent string.
Posted by: Ron Buckman
Date: May 18, 2001 01:31AM

Yeah, you can certainly identify as Mozilla 4.7x (for Netscape 4), or MSIE 5.x, if you need to. You could have a user agent string like this if you are using Windows 98:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98) KMeleon/0.4

You should be able to get into any site that IE 5.5 can get into, except for secure sites if you are unable to get such sites to work with KMeleon, and sites which use the document.all version of DHTML. If, you prefer to identify as Mozilla 4.7x, then something like this should do:

Mozilla/4.77 [en] (Win98; N) KMeleon/0.4

As for me, I prefer to be honest to the web servers. If, I cannot get in with KMeleon, I just switch to Opera 5 or MSN Explorer (MSIE 5.5) or Mozilla 0.9, or occasionally to Netscape 4.08 .

Ron

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.