General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[News] Safari for Windows
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: June 11, 2007 09:32PM

Apple just released it:

https://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/797/wo/PhBOxELwIyRH4fB7nLxluM/2.5

Seems like K-Meleon has one more competetion on Windows now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [News] Safari for Windows
Posted by: mmorrison
Date: June 12, 2007 12:14AM

Okay, but can it easily be made portable like K-Meleon?

I downloaded it, but hate installs.

Posted by: Enig123
Date: June 12, 2007 01:57AM

It is unstable and furthermore, don't support CJK characters well.

Posted by: bruns
Date: June 12, 2007 03:55AM

I'm using it right now, its kinda slick. I haven't had any problems just yet.

I'd say its real competition to K-Meleon, but there doesn't have to be conflict. Both browsers are here for a reason.

I'm not giving up K-Meleon, but I think that Safari could be my second choice.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org

Posted by: beowulf
Date: June 12, 2007 03:31PM

www.filehippo.com/download_safari/

"Experience the web, Apple style, with Safari: the fastest, easiest-to-use web browser in the world. With its simple, elegant interface, Safari gets out of your way and lets you enjoy the web, up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer.

The fastest web browser on any platform, Safari loads pages up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2.

And it executes JavaScript up to 2.8 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2. What does all that mean for you? Less time loading pages and more time enjoying them."

Too much speed to be true.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: June 12, 2007 03:58PM

I've tried and it's completely broken for me (no menu text, can't type url, crash all the time...) o_o

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: June 12, 2007 04:11PM

Same to me: I tried to install it several times but no way to get safari functioning properly on my Windows XP SP 2.

Can somebody help or does somebody understand where it goes wrong?

Thx,

Mala Okeh

Posted by: leveck
Date: June 12, 2007 04:21PM
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: June 12, 2007 07:54PM

It crashed for me on Chinese Windows, but works well on English Vista, looks like they have some local compatibility problem to be resolved.

Posted by: beowulf
Date: June 12, 2007 08:02PM

Safari is only 30 mb of pure dirt - 30 mb of pure beta dirt smiling smiley. I installed it on WXP SP2 with no problem, but all pages had rendering problems. Safari was unable to open K-Meleon forums, none of them. I want to ask Steve Jobs about the difference between an alpha and a beta software version, because no K-Meleon nor FF alpha were so bad as this Safari beta. I have no Safari crashes - a lucky day.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: June 13, 2007 03:28AM

Works great for me, in fact I'm using it to make this post. I find that it lacks some features (most (all?) keyboard shortcuts, not much in the context menus, no skins, no extensions (like an ad blocker)), but that's not surprising for a beta prog. It is extremely fast (both on loading the prog & on loading/rendering pages), at least as fast as opera if not faster. It is also extremely standards compliant (it actually manages to pass the acid2 test). It beats the hell out of the only other KHTML borwser for windows so far, Swift. It also has a very unique feature, it can use the plugins (flash, java, etc) from an existing browser. I have KM as my default browser, and Safari uses all it's plugins, without me moving them into Safari's plugins folder.

FYI I'm on XP MC, SP2, english (US, not UK, if that makes a difference).

Safari needs quite a few more features before I can consider it as a default browser, but it makes an excellent secondary browser.

btw That link in the first post doesn't work, it just forwarrds you to apple's homepage. Use this link instead: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

Posted by: neolem
Date: June 13, 2007 12:04PM

Requires MSI 3 (I hate to update Windows, just to make one single product work). After getting MSI 3 on an experimental XP installation, just to be able to install the little shit, it crashes any time I click within some menu.

The use of the screen estate is simply idiotic. The top of the browser is hardly configurable and uses up so much space, I really can't imagine why someone would give up that space just for the sake of having this really ridiculously overhyped Mac product.

Everything about this browser appears to me to be extremely conservative (in typical bloated M$ manner) through the way it depends completely on an established environment. You obviously can't use any alternative plug-ins, but have to use those questionable established ones: Windows Media Player (yuk), Real Player (yuk), Quick Time (yuk). I doubt this browser, from the impression it makes on me, will ever allow using alternative plug-ins. At least I won't use it as long as it won't accept alternative plug-ins, as I don't have the garbage, mentioned above, installed anyway. ;-)

It only runs when it's properly and fully installed. Copies of it won't run on any Windows where it was not installed. Nope, I don't like the entire character of the thing.

Posted by: rmn
Date: June 13, 2007 01:46PM

It's surprisingly usable for me. I had expected something like Swift, but it's not. Very pretty, too.

I wonder how that happens when the author of Swift says "most bugs in Swift, are from WebKit".

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: June 13, 2007 01:50PM

Well, after reading that last post, I am not sure I even want to wait for the fsckingly megabloated Apple site to load (it's worse than Mucussnot's!). I was thinking of getting it just to see if it would help in cross-browser website testing, but I have friends with Macs who will peek for me. It looks like it is intended for high-end rich pigs, not people LOL

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 13, 2007 02:20PM

As stated (more or less polite) previously Safari has big problems on German ( and other non English ) systems. I did not manage to get it to work properly!

All sorts of problems from no menus - to crashes when I try to insert or write new URLs to navigate to speed test pages. My verdict slow - since it did not even get to the test pageswinking smiley

Except for the posh name: well I'd definitely prefer browsers as old as k-meleon 0.7 or IE 5 to this newcomer that does not work. Even a test report of K-Meleon 0.1 (which I found by chance some days ago) reads more favorable than what I could write about Safari.

Swift is at least able to navigate and render the pages I want to visit.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: June 13, 2007 03:40PM

My experience with swift is that it's very slow, bloated, buggy, and prone to crashing.

Safari seems able to use any netscape-style plugins, they don't -have- to be the official real, qt, etc. If you can find an alternative, netscape-style plugin for any such format, you should be able to just dumpt the np~.dll file into safari's plugins folder.
I see that there are extensions available for the mac version, but they use mac installers. It might be possible to unpack the files from the installer manually and hack them into the browser, but I don't know.... In any case, since they exist for the mac version, it's reasonable to think that they will be adapted for the windows version at some point.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.