Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is there a 1.1 portable version ?
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 30, 2007 07:57AM

Is there a 1.1 portable version ?

Thanks

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a 1.1 portable version ?
Posted by: Fred
Date: June 30, 2007 09:18AM

Douglas seems to have given up the development of
new versions for the USB stick, as he writes on
his website http://kmeleon.uk.to

Citation :

"Note from Douglas on 1 May 2007: Most of my development effort is now spent on Linux, rather than Windows, systems. Recent Linux desktop systems, including SimplyMEPIS my distribution of choice, have improved to the point where the excesses of Windows Vista hold little attraction for the future. Consequently, my work on K-Meleon is very much reduced, and though this website will continue, it may not be updated often and new versions of programs are unlikely."

Windows Vista seems to have an unsuitable user management, comcerning
the profiles.

My own K-Meleon1814-forCD has no writing included,and no
user profile. but it also lacks cache and history because
of that fact. It is also not based on the 1.1 structure,
although the gecko is 1.8.1.4 .

Regards
Fred

Date: June 30, 2007 01:58PM

@Fred,

I have tested your build, and I think that it's very interesting (as all the builds you made), but I prefer a 1.1 based build and it was not exactly what I was searching for.

I thought about Douglas builds, but I hadn't the info that he stops it.

The question is issued from a post which ask for a french portable build.

Thanks for your answer.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Posted by: Douglas
Date: June 30, 2007 05:00PM

Fred and Alain,

Yes, as Fred cited, that's the position at the moment. Further, I don't have access to Windows Vista to test anything out on.

If you would like to experiment yourself, here are the basic changes I made to produce Pocket K-Meleon 1.02.

But I don't know whether kprofile.dll needs to be or has been updated for K-M 1.1, I'm afraid.

Date: June 30, 2007 09:13PM

I don't think there is difference between K-M 1.02 and K-M 1.1 concerning profiles. The mechanism used now was already in place with 1.02.

I have downloaded Pocket 1.02, I'll look at to see how it works.Just reading your note, it seems not to be too much difficult (because you make it before :-))

I don't want to use Vista too, and I plan to migrate to Ubuntu as soon as I have a computer which can support Ubunto and w98se, and I can solve my problem with ISDN Connection.

Thanks for your answer.

A+

Date: June 30, 2007 10:33PM

Alain,

I have been using SimplyMEPIS (now 6.5) on 9 of our computers for the last year, mostly with great success. I have recently installed VMware Server on a couple of machines too and it runs Windows 2000 (+SP4) very well.

I might even put K-M on the virtual machines now!

Date: July 01, 2007 08:12AM

@Douglas,

I have already tried K-Meleon under VmWare machines (w98se, w2k, xp) and it works very well. So, When I'll use Ubuntu, the first thing will be to install VmWare.

The only problem is the memory resources needed by VmWare machine with old computers.

A+

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 01, 2007 02:23PM

Use xpcom_core.dll from SeaMonkey that does not make empty profile in apdata folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 02:27PM by guenter.

Date: July 01, 2007 06:46PM

An english test version is avalaible on my site

@guenter,
I have replaced xpcom_core.dll by the seamonkey version.

@Douglas,

I have added --force because else upx doesn't compact the files
SetDefault must not be compacted, because it crashes.
But I think that this version type must not write to registry and it would be better to delete SetDefault from this build.

For the rest, it seems to be ok

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 06:46PM by JujuLand.

Date: July 02, 2007 10:32PM

Bravo Alain!

Your modifications sound sensible to me.
Will have a shot when I get the time.

Date: July 03, 2007 05:08AM

Yes - sounds sensible to delete Setdefault (maybe also Loader and uninstall?).
You do not really need the 3 with the portable version.

Bravo from Germany also.

Date: July 03, 2007 05:21AM

Loader is already deleted, and I think that uninstall which is created by setup isn't here as it's a zip build.

A+

Date: July 03, 2007 06:05AM

You sure are right (i am blindsmiling smiley - a 7zip selfextracting archive would have 5.7mb.

A few kb can be saved by joining the xpt.
Some reduction is possible by using less skins.
You could run a perl script for cleaning comments (license blockssmiling smiley in res and at other places where You could find some left. IMHO we are not using the wallet folder in defaults

But whether that is worth it?

Date: July 03, 2007 04:28PM

Humm, you're surely right with comments, perhaps xpt (I really don't know how for it), but I think we can win a very small number of bytes compared with jar and dll compression, and the result size is now very small for USB key size we found now.

I'm also sure that a standard version works great on an USB key, the only points which are important are in fact to disable disk cache and history which after some times will keep too much place.

A+

Date: July 04, 2007 04:03AM

Yes that compression gets the real decrease.

Not including classic skin and deleting wallet folder gets about 250 kb without much work. The rest is IMHO marginal compared to the effort.

Maybe attempt at potable support by default? It was suggested in dev requests forum.

Date: July 04, 2007 05:59AM

> Maybe attempt at potable support by default? It was suggested in dev requests forum.

Is K-Meleon like water ? :-)

The water falling now from sky is probably potable, but not requested :-)

A+

Date: July 04, 2007 01:21PM

"Tragbar" or "Mobil" then.

Remind me to ask for Spell-check like Firefox has!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 01:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: steveorg
Date: July 04, 2007 03:35PM

I'm brand new around here and not quite as technically adept as most of you seem. I just installed KM on a USB drive in the hopes of creating a portable version for XP computers that does not leave tracks on the host.

I seem close to my objective, but I have a few questions:

1. Where is the History saved and if necessary, can I change the location to the USB drive?

2. I found files under c:/Documents and Settings/My Name/Application Data. Can this be moved to the USB drive?

3. Are there any other settings/files that are saved on the host (I changed the cache), and if so can they be moved to the USB drive?

4. I checked the registry, and the few entries seem innocuous and deletable. It seems to me that if the files above can bemoved, all I need to do is monitor the cache and history for space usage and I'm good to go, but the fact that this thread even exists causes concern. So here's the big question - Am I deluding myself, or is this likely not to work on a different computer?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 03:47PM by steveorg.

Date: July 04, 2007 04:22PM

Well, history and cache have been disabled because it's the huge part of the place that a browser takes on a disk. You can, like you seems have made, enable history and cache, but the risk is to miss place on your key, now or later.

History.dat is in profiles\profile folder (on the key). For the cache, it seems it depends of the OS used. With w9x, it's in a folder named cache under profiles folder. With XP, I haven't found where it is located by default.

In the preferences, you can enter the folder used by the cache, so you can put it on the key. The big problem, is that the path includes the drive letter, and on different computers, the letter can be different, and it would be necessary before launching K-Meleon, to launch a tool to modify the path string to adapt it to the computer (perhaps the purpose of Kmv.exe or Kmvx.exe ?)

For the registry keys, there is no keys entered if you don't use setdefault (that's why I say in a previous post that we must delete it from this build).
Perhaps the keys are from a previous fix disk install?

A+

Date: July 04, 2007 05:05PM

Thanks jujuland.

I should have looked closer at the path mentioned in question # 2. It seems that in XP most of the data files are in C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Application Data\K-Meleon. Is there any setting that I can edit so that these files can be moved to the USB drive?

The only registry key that was modified at the time of install is the uninstall info. The others are download info which is an irrelevant concern.

Steve

Date: July 04, 2007 05:30PM

2. I found files under c:/Documents and Settings/My Name/Application Data. Can this be moved to the USB drive?

Yes by using a: profile.ini.

Place a profile.ini in application folder plus use a xpcom_core.dll that is compiled with Visual C 6 ( has imports from mscvrt.dll not msvcr71.dll ). This does that what You want. alain has used that combination in his package - so just use the two files from his package.

With profile.ini history and cache and all files that belong to Your use of K-Meleon are stored in the "profiles" folder that is inside Your installed k-meleons folder. Profile.ini is the file that forces this "old" behaviour.

Using the right dll prevents that even an empty folder is created (workaround for this bug of VC 7.1). This and not using setdefault prevents that any trace is on the hosting system.

p. s. Using alains cache and history settings reduces footprint on the USB and covers traces (privacy) in case You loose the stick. Surfing history is saved in Profiles (specifically in Your Profile). The file is called history.dat. You can look inside history.dat with an editor. Other past data are in 79926498.s (random number plus .s = passwords), cookies.txt, IconCache.dat and cache (cache = files that You viewed - the cache becomes quite big but should not be much problem with a big usb stick / cache can be inspected/ type about:cache and look).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 06:06PM by guenter.

Posted by: kko
Date: July 04, 2007 05:53PM

@steveorg: Try JujuLand's version or Douglas McFadzean's KMVX. KMVX should also work with km 1.1 (the packages contain installation instructions).

JujuLand
For the cache, it seems it depends of the OS used. With w9x, it's in a folder named cache under profiles folder. With XP, I haven't found where it is located by default.

It's under \Documents and Settings\<user name>[b]Local Settings[/b]\Application Data\K-Meleon\<profile name>. The folder "Local Settings" is normally hidden. It's name depends on your Windows localization. When using a profile.ini, the Cache folder and the XUL cache (xul.mfl) are kept in your <profile name> folder i.e. all data is stored in your profile.

For use on a USB stick you might disable the Disk Cache (simply set its size to zero) or reduce its size. It won't exceed the size you specified.

Date: July 04, 2007 06:07PM

I have answered I haven't found it, because I really don't found it in the path you give. I have found the folder, but not the file (in my fix disk version installed). I really don't know why, because I remembered it was here.

For the disk cache I have already sized it to 0, as I disable History and favicon cache.

A+

Date: July 04, 2007 07:00PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I went with kko's KMVX solution. After running KMVX I copied the .slt directory from C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Application Data\K-Meleon to the new \profiles\default directory, removed the other .slt directory and edited registry.dat accordingly. I probably should have just copied the contents from one .slt to the other because the old settings didn't take. That's not a big deal since I'm just starting with KM.

I also used Windows uninstall to remove the original installation after creating a copy in another directory. That removed the uninstall registry entries.

KM seems to work perfectly from the stick, but the proof will be when I get to try it on another computer. If it doesn't work, you can be sure that I'll check back in. Thanks again for all of the help.

Steve

Date: July 05, 2007 08:29PM

Have you found some problems with Pocket K-Meleon 1.1 ?

I'm about to make french, spanish and german package, and I would prefer having fixed the problems before...

A+

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 08:30PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: Greg
Date: July 07, 2007 11:01PM

Alain,

I have briefly used Pocket K-Meleon 1.1 found on your website and have found no issues thus far. It works well and is fast.

One thing that Douglas McFadzean's version did was to place an empty K-Meleon folder in the local settings folder found within the documents and settings folder (Win XP). I note that your Pocket K-Meleon 1.1 version does not do this. Perhaps this was changed with the migration to 1.1, since Douglas' Pocket K-Meleon is based on K-Meleon 1.02

Thank you for the modifications to make the 1.1 K-Meleon program portable. Well done!

Regards,

Date: July 08, 2007 08:13AM

The empty folder created with the previous version was due to the file xpcom_core.dll

I have replace it by the seamonkey version has suggested by guenter, and no more folder is created.

A+

Date: July 10, 2007 04:51AM

alain, the mail I sent You keeps coming back - do You have other place then france telecom?

Date: July 10, 2007 05:41AM

Yes, at wanadoo

A+

Date: July 10, 2007 10:43AM

What wanadoo?

Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com>
Subject:Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host omfedm06.si.francetelecom.fr.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<Your.name@francetelecom.fr>: Host or domain name not found.
Name service error for name=francetelecom.fr type=A: Host not found

That looks like francetelecom.fr host does not wanado mail service for You :p

p.s. I try to send translation and skins since two days.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.