Re: Favorites Rename Add Project
Posted by: kko
Date: August 21, 2007 03:48PM

Should be OK now.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 21, 2007 04:18PM

@ kko

Thank you so much. Obviously, you could see where I made my mistake.

Date: August 21, 2007 05:58PM

No problem, James. It takes some time to get familiar with the WikiMarkup.

Thank you for your efforts!

Date: August 23, 2007 02:22PM

One last thing to do for the project is to add localization. I have read and think I know what I have to provide, but have two questions.

One of the strings that will need translation is long. I see that the form is "string=translated string". Is there a limit on how long the line can be? Can this be broken into two lines?

The second question is whether the translation system also handles the FavRenAdd.js file. There is one string in that file.

I will have to use some translation service as English is my only language. I took French in school but that was 48 years ago so I do not remember much. I am looking at using this service. http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/

Date: August 23, 2007 03:46PM

One of the strings that will need translation is long. I see that the form is "string=translated string". Is there a limit on how long the line can be?
I don't know, just try it out.

Can this be broken into two lines?
No, but you can use \n to mask a line break if you mean that.

The second question is whether the translation system also handles the FavRenAdd.js file.
No, but you can define that string in your macro and send it to the script through the command line - look at my Shortcut macro. winking smiley
I'd remove that echo(), however. As a user, I expect an app to simply do what I told it to do - I don't need a nagging confirmation that it did what I told it to do. :p

I will have to use some translation service as English is my only language.
I'll be glad to make a German translation for you. I'm sure, others will follow. We're international here and users can add translations to your wiki page on their own. No need to use a stupid online translator...

Date: August 23, 2007 05:04PM

I did remove the echo confirmation in the js file. Happy to have any help on translations. I think these are the items that will need translating.

[menu]
&Rename-Add

[promptforfolder]
Specify where to add the new shortcut. Select your Favorites folder or one of its subfolders:

[prompt]
Rename the Favorite Title here

[confirm]
Affirm cancel
Did you mean to cancel?

Date: August 24, 2007 09:42AM

I have made an attempt at providing localization information for FavRenAdd. I do not know if it correct. I put the information on my web page at
http://www.perigee.net/~jmd8421r/KM%20Localization.html

If anyone thinks any part of this is ready for the FavRenAdd page in the MacroLibrary then you have my permission to add it. If an part needs changing before adding, please feel free to make the necessary changes. I am not yet comfortable editing the wiki page.

Date: August 24, 2007 10:28PM

Just an extra piece of information about FavRenAdd that I found. Although the favorite is written outside of KM and normally you would have to restart KM in order to see it, you can get it right away. Just click FAVORITES - EDIT. That option works with the favorites on disk in real time. Just click on your new/renamed favorite and it will open in a new window.

Date: August 27, 2007 03:08PM

I've added the German locale. I had to add some _() statements.

Posted by: Vick
Date: August 27, 2007 05:30PM

I have been following Favorites Rename Add Project since beginning. I have wanted
an add on to do this for years. But I do not understand it. Can I download it or is
it something else? I do not understand how to use anything like macros. And I do not
understand programming. So I sure hope it is just a plugin or similar. Also I need
the English version. Can someone please let me know how to install this. And
I need instructions in very simple terms. Thanks to James and all others.

Date: August 27, 2007 08:32PM

@ kko

Thanks

@ Vick

Just go to the K-Meleon MacroLibrary http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLibrary and look on that page for FavRenAdd under the heading GENERAL. Click on FavRenAdd which will take you to a page http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd where the code for FavRenAdd is located. From there it is just cut and paste to make two files on your computer. Open Notepad and copy the code for FavRenAdd.kmm into notepad. Save the file to your K-Meleon user macro folder as FavRenAdd.kmm You will need to use the all files option on notepad so it will not use txt as the extension. Do the same with the code for FanRenAdd.js saving it with the extension js. When you restart KM the additional menu item Rename-Add will be under Favorites.

Posted by: Charlie
Date: August 28, 2007 10:16PM

OK. Followed the instructions at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd
and know get the add new name/location option. But the new Fav doesn't go to the Fav folder I choose. Don't know where it goes. Is it possible to make KM just use the IE Favorites in the same way IE handles them.

I really love using KM over the IE browser, as well as other browsers. Particularly because it loads pages so fast over my dialup connection. But I'm fearing this Fav problem is going to end up a stopper, as I depend so greatly on using Favorites.

Really hoping some one can help get Favorites to work out.

Thanks.

Charlie

Turns out that....
Date: August 28, 2007 10:39PM

The new KM Fav's ARE going to the correct folder in the IE Fav folder. However, the drop-down Fav menu in the KM toolbar just doesn't know anything about it. In fact, some sub folders in KM's Fave menu won't even open. Still sounds pretty strange, but at least know I know where to find my saved Fav's.

Date: August 28, 2007 11:54PM

@ Charlie

The FavRenAdd macro adds the renamed favorite outside of K-Meleon. This means that the normal Favorites menu will not "see" the new favorite until KM is restarted. You should, however, be able to see the new favorite using the "edit" item in the dropdown menu. The Edit feature looks at what is on the disk in real time. You can even double click on the new favorite while in Edit and get it to open.

I am not sure I understand what you mean about some sub folders won't open. Can you give me more information. If a sub folder does not contain any items nothing will happen when you move the mouse there.

I now find myself using Rename-Add even when I don't plan to change the name because I can put the new favorite into the sub folder I desire. Used to be everything went into favorites root and I later had to go and edit them to sub folders by subject.

Date: August 29, 2007 04:07AM

Using the Fav menu in the KM tool bar I click on Favorites and scroll down to "K-Meleon" folder. At the right hand edge of the "K-Meleon" link is the expected arrow indicating that htere are sub folders/links. But the sub folders do not appear.

However, I can go to Start > Favorites > K-Meleon and the sub folders/links open/appear as they should.

Using the Favorites menu in the KM tool bar, all sub folders/links which were created from the IE browser work as they should.

Having to access/open Fav's from the Start menu is not a problem. It just seems kind of strange or unusual.

All in all, it seems I'm learning to make KM work for me. And that's great as I love using KM for browsing.

Charlie

Date: August 29, 2007 12:51PM

@ Charlie

I understand what you are saying but I can not duplicate that on my machine. The fact that there is an arrow on your sub folder "K-Meleon" only indicates that it is a folder. It does not indicate that there is anything in the folder.

Try this and let me know what you see. Go to Favorites - Edit and click on your folder "K-Meleon" in the left hand frame. Tell me what shows up then in the right hand frame.

Having to use the start menu to get to a favorite is not usual and should not be required.

Date: August 29, 2007 01:13PM

Seven Favorites show up in the right hand frame, just as with Start > Favorites > K-Meleon.

Charlie

Date: August 29, 2007 01:39PM

@ Charlie

When was the last time you closed and restarted K-Meleon? Was it before or after those seven favorites were created?

JamesD

Date: August 29, 2007 02:17PM

Guys, this mystery's resolution is pretty simple: K-Meleon's IE Favorites Plugin does only show Internet Shortcuts (*.url files) in the Favorites menu whereas Internet Explorer/Windows do also show normal Shortcuts (*.lnk files). The latter cannot be opened with K-Meleon, usually.

Date: August 30, 2007 12:29AM

The seven were all created on Aug. 20. I restart KM at least once a day as I shut the computer down every night. Plus, I usually end up restarting the system about 2-3 times a day as well.

I have the Loader in startup. (In passing, adding the Loader to started for some reason has shaved about 15 sec. off Startup time.) And I have learned that when KM needs to be restarted, as when some settings are changed that the Loader must be Exited or the computer restarted before the change can take effect.

Charlie

Date: August 30, 2007 02:39AM

Just tried adding a page (google.com) to "K-Mellon" as well as another Fav's folder "Cent posts" via KM's Favorites > Rename-Add. It did not show up in either folder at KM's Favorites nor Start > Favorites. Restarted KM, but still nothing. Restarted the computer and google.com is now in Start > Favorites > K-Meleon and Cnet Posts, but not KM's Favorites > K-Meleon nor Cnet Posts.

Added this forum page to K-Meleon via KM's Favorites > Rename-Add, and it immidiately showed up in both Start > Favorites > K-Meleon as well as KM's Favorites > K-Meleon.

It's as though something is intermittinly
[?shorting out?] and I swear it's not me (though I feel I'm about to. smiling smiley )

To double-check the macro's I filed, they were the first two at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd

I will copy and paste here the two macro's. But I will copy and paste them from the actual files in my Edit > Configuration > Macros.

FavRenAdd.kmm Saved as "FavRenAdd.kmm" w/o the quotes.

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
# ---------- FavRenAdd.kmm
# ---------- K-Meleon Macro Language Rename/Add page to Favorites ---------------
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm, Favorites plugin active, JScript, Windows Scripting Host
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
# Version : 0.9 2007-08-20
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue{
$_FavRenAdd_NewItemFolder = getpref( string, "kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder" );
#### look three places for the favorites directory
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory");
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKCU","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKLM","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
#### $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder should have the path for the favorites folder c:\something\favorites
#### call _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop until $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder is no longer a "?"
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder="?"; while($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=="?") &_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop;
$_FavRenAdd_Title = substr($_FavRenAdd_value,1);
macros(_FavRenAdd_Sanitize_Title) ;
$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder.\\.$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger = 1;
while ($_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger > 0 ) &_FavRenAdd_Duplicates_loop) ;
$_FavRenAdd_PathName = gsub("\\" , "\\\\", $_FavRenAdd_PathName);
exec("wscript.exe \"".$_FavRenAdd_Path."\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_PathName."\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_CurURL."\"") ;
}

_FavRenAdd_Sanitize_Title{
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "?"," ",$_FavRenAdd_Title);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( ":"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "*"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "<"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( ">"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "/"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "|"," ",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle = gsub( "\\","",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
$_FavRenAdd_Title = gsub( "\"","^",$_FavRenAdd_RevTitle);
}

_FavRenAdd_Duplicates_loop{
$_FavRenAdd_Exists=readfile($_FavRenAdd_PathName);
$_FavRenAdd_Exists=1.$_FavRenAdd_Exists ;
$_FavRenAdd_Len2=length($_FavRenAdd_Exists);
$_FavRenAdd_Len2 == 1 ? $_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger=0 : &_FavRenAdd_Extend;
}

_FavRenAdd_Extend{
$_FavRenAdd_Wrk_Int = $_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger - 1 ;
$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger == 1 ? $_FavRenAdd_PathName = gsub(".url" , "[".$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger."].url",$_FavRenAdd_PathName):0;
$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger > 1 ? $_FavRenAdd_PathName = gsub("[".$_FavRenAdd_Wrk_Int."].url" , "[".$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger."].url" , $_FavRenAdd_PathName):0;
$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger = $_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger + 1 ;
}

_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop{
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=promptforfolder(_("Specify where to add the new shortcut. Select your Favorites folder or one of its subfolders:"),$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_NewItemFolder);
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=="" ? "" : index($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder,$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder) == 0 ? substr($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder,length($_FavRenAdd_FavFolder)+1) : "?";
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder == "" ? $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder = $_FavRenAdd_NewItemFolder : 0 ;
}

_FavRenAdd_RenameAdd{
$_FavRenAdd_CurrTitle = $TITLE;
$_FavRenAdd_CurURL = $URL;
$_FavRenAdd_value=prompt($_FavRenAdd_CurrTitle,_("Rename the Favorite Title here"),$_FavRenAdd_CurrTitle);
### cancel from prompt will return a length of zero to which we add one
$_FavRenAdd_value = 1.$_FavRenAdd_value;
$_FavRenAdd_Len=length($_FavRenAdd_value);
### if the length is 1 cancelled was pressed on the prompt box
$_FavRenAdd_Len == 1 ? &_FavRenAdd_Cancelled :&_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue ;
}

_FavRenAdd_Cancelled{
$FavRenAdd_Button=confirm(_("Did you mean to cancel?"),_("Affirm cancel"),YESNO,QUESTION);
$FavRenAdd_Button == "YES" ? 0 : &_FavRenAdd_RenameAdd ;
}

_FavRenAdd_ModMenu{
### add another option to Favorites menu if favorites plugin is active
$kFavorites==true?setmenu(F&avorites,macro,"&Rename-Add",_FavRenAdd_RenameAdd,1):0;
}

_FavRenAdd_GetPath{
### FavRenAdd.js is supposed to be located in the same folder as FavRenAdd.kmm (this file).
### If it isn't, Windows Script Host will notify the user.
$_FavRenAdd_Data=readfile(getfolder(MacroFolder)."\\FavRenAdd.kmm");
$_FavRenAdd_Path=getfolder($_FavRenAdd_Data==""?UserMacroFolder:MacroFolder)."\\FavRenAdd.js";
}

$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_FavRenAdd_GetPath;";
$OnInit=$OnInit."_FavRenAdd_ModMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."FavRenAdd;";

FavRenAdd.js Saved as "FavRenAdd.js" w/o the quotes.

/* FavRenAdd.js by JamesD, version 0.9.1 2007-08-23

This script is a helper application for the K-Meleon Macro Module FavRenAdd.kmm that
enables you to rename a favorite, select a folder, and write the favorite to that folder.

Windows Script Host 1.0 (or better) required!

WSH is part of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and newer. Latest version of WSH is
available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/
*/

if(WScript.Arguments.count()==2)
{
var FavRenAddFileName = WScript.Arguments(0);
var FavRenAddDescription = WScript.Arguments(1);
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell")
var oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(FavRenAddFileName);
oShellLink.TargetPath = FavRenAddDescription;
oShellLink.Save();
}
else
{
objArgs = WScript.Arguments ;
WScript.Echo(WScript.Arguments.Count());
for (i=0; i<objArgs.length; i++)
{
WScript.Echo(objArgs(i))
}
}

I did not use this third file:

Localizations
\locales\de-DE\FavRenAdd.kml (German/Deutsch)

Specify where to add the new shortcut. Select your Favorites folder or one of its subfolders:=Geben Sie an, wo die neue Verknüpfung erstellt werden soll. Wählen Sie Ihren Favoritenordner oder einen seiner Unterordner aus:
Rename the Favorite Title here=Ändern Sie hier den Titel des Favoriten
Did you mean to cancel?=Wollten Sie abbrechen?
Affirm cancel=Abbruch bestätigen
&Rename-Add=&Umbenennen-Hinzufügen

Assuming that I copied and Pasted correctly, do you think it may help to delete/reinstall KM and start over from scratch?

Charlie

Date: August 30, 2007 12:14PM

@ Charlie

Is the KM's Favorites you spoke of a sub folder of Favorites? I did not intend to handle writing shortcuts to a folder that was not Favorites or a sub folder of Favorites.

I don't think you have to recopy the FavRenAdd code. If it showing Rename-Add in the menu it is in the right place and working. There should be no reason to restart the computer.

Date: August 30, 2007 05:28PM

Only the Cnet Posts is a sub folder (of CNET.) K-Meleon is a stand alone/Parent folder (with no sub folders.)

I re-ran the experiment as noted below, except with entirely defferent Favrites folders and achived the same results.

Posted by: Charlie (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2007 04:07AM
Using the Fav menu in the KM tool bar I click on Favorites and scroll down to "K-Meleon" folder. At the right hand edge of the "K-Meleon" link is the expected arrow indicating that htere are sub folders/links. But the sub folders do not appear.

However, I can go to Start > Favorites > K-Meleon and the sub folders/links open/appear as they should.

Using the Favorites menu in the KM tool bar, all sub folders/links which were created from the IE browser work as they should.

Having to access/open Fav's from the Start menu is not a problem. It just seems kind of strange or unusual.

All in all, it seems I'm learning to make KM work for me. And that's great as I love using KM for browsing.
=======================================

Then via KM's Favorites, within K-Meleon I create another google.com link and placed in the yet a newly created sub folder I named New Folder. After restarting KM it showed up in KM's Favorties. This New Folder with the google.com link also immedieately shows up in Start > Favorites.

It seems that data, for some reason appears to be leaking back and forth (or back [or] forth.)

I realize there is alot of speak here that may just sound like "bla-bla" but I hope it makes sense.

Charlie

Date: August 30, 2007 08:09PM

@ Charlie

I think we need to do a little debug on FavRenAdd.js on your system. I want you to insert one line of code so that the filespec for the new shortcut is sent to a message box for you to see. Edit FavRenAdd.js and add the line that is bold in the same position that I have. Run KM and Rename-Add some shortcut to a folder in Favorites. The message box should have the exact path to the new shortcut. See if that path is where you think the new shortcut should go.

oShellLink.TargetPath = FavRenAddDescription;
oShellLink.Save();
WScript.Echo(FavRenAddFileName);
}
else

Date: August 31, 2007 01:25AM

Thanks JamesD,

I added the line. The first few times I added a new favorite, a message come up letting me know exactly where it went e.g.

C:\\Document and Settings\\Ownwe\\FavoritesINTERGATE\\Diasabled American Veterans (DAV) Home Page.URL

Now the message only appears occasionally with no apparent rhyme or reason.

The new Favorites immediately shows up in Start > Favorites. And after restarting KM it shows up in the same position in KM's Favorites.

I am able to add a sub folder using KM's Rename-Add. On occasion I can add subfolders 2 or 3 deep, sometimes not. Sometimes I can add Favorites to these 2-3 deep subfolders, some times not.

Any Favorites folders/subfolders and Favorite links created in Start > Favorites (perhaps I should say I.E. Favorites) all show up in KM's Favorites. Also, using KM's Rename-Add I can add additional Favorite links to any of these folders.

Occasionally using KM's Rename-Add I am able to create an additional new sub folder to a sub folder. And while I can add new Favorite links to this new sub folder, I cannot open this new sub folder from KM's Favorites.

Right now it seems that all Folders, sub folder and Favorite links are accessible via Start > Favorites.

It seems all this makes dealing with Favorites a bit messy, but probably workable. I wish I had or could develop the know-how to create in KM a Favorites link/menu that would link directly to I.E.'s Favorites folder, engine, what ever. While over time I think I may learn to work with macros a bit, I think the stuff you guy's are into is way beyond me.

Charlie

Date: August 31, 2007 03:58AM

@ Charlie

The item in your last post that is of great interest is than the first few times it worked and the message was displayed, but that later it became random as to whether it would display a message. I will need to run some tests.

One question - Did you restart KM during your tests? If so, did the begin to appear each time for a while after restarting?

Date: August 31, 2007 04:07AM

Yes. Restarted each time. But now seems to be presenting the message with regularity w/o restarting. About 8-10 times over about the last hour. Of course nothing shows up in KM's Fav's w/o restarting the browser.

Date: August 31, 2007 08:28PM

@ Charlie

I did a test to see if making more than just one or two favorites in a session would present a problem. I did ten new favorites. I put 7 into sub folders that already existed and 3 into sub folders which I created during the Rename-Add process. I did not restart KM during the test. I was able to verify the creation of each favorite by using the EDIT sub menu of FAVORITES. I did find one thing that I did not expect. I had used advanced prefrences to set up a "new items" sub folder prior to the test. The name of the sub folder was "Unfiled_New". On two of the 10 attempts to rename and add favorites I selected "Favorites". On both of those attempts the favorite was actually added to Unfiled_New. Unfiled_New is a sub folder of Favorites.

Between attempts number 9 and 10 I used advanced preferences to reset the new items folder to the default. i.e. (not set) On the tenth try I selected Favorites as the folder and the new favorite was correctly loaded there.

I did find that making a new folder, renaming it, and selecting the new, named folder was a multi-step process. I had to select the folder for which the new folder would be a sub-folder, click on "create a folder", right click on "new folder", choose to rename it, go back to the parent folder and return to the new renamed folder. Only then would the new name show in the selected folder line.

In all of this I did not have an instance where the new favorite was not created imediately. So far I have not solved the situation where the completion message box did not appear on your system. I do not know if the computer or operating system make a difference or not. I run XP-SP2 fully updated on a 1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 with 960 Megabytes of RAM.

I have an old laptop with a slow processor and 192 Megabytes of RAM. I will get that out and try it to see if there any change. I cannot change the fact that you must restart KM for these favorites to be included in the Favorites system, but I want everyone who uses FavRenAdd to satisfied with it up to that point.

Date: August 31, 2007 10:29PM

James,

Occasionally I check to see if the message is still appearing, and it is appearing every time now. And I keep trying to recall if perhaps I may have changed any prefs/settings since the times when the message had NOT appeared. The only thing I can think of is that I had Enabled then Disabled (or vise-versa) Bitmapped menus in Edit > Preferences > Plugins while trying to figure out what the Bitmapped menus Plugin does as the User's guide doesn't [seem] to say much about it. According to it's Configure option it seems to have to do with menu's and Copy/Paste, or some such. What ever, I'm probably better off messing with that another day.

Thanks for reminding me about the Favorites > Edit folder. It does make calling-up the deep-saved Fav's easier.

Date: September 01, 2007 10:40AM

New version of FavRenAdd placed in MacroLibrary. Version 1.0 has the limitation of the new item perf removed.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.