General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Options "Greyed out" inaccessible dirrecly from Preferences ?
Posted by: XDS
Date: August 13, 2007 06:44AM

Hi ,

Coming back to K-Meleon after many years of playing with FF.

I'm trying to change my preferences to my preference ,
However I observe allot of options are completely inaccessible from the preferences dialog , is this deliberate ?

Regards,
Xavier T Pnolan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Options "Greyed out" inaccessible dirrecly from Preferences ?
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 13, 2007 01:18PM

When greyed out options are not applicable - e.g. because You have chosen a contradictory pref or not activated something e.g. a plugin
( It is the same system as with FFox ).

Yes deliberate.

p. s. Best try to costumize things You remember first - that makes it IMHO easier - K-Meleon got many new out off the box items - many/most additional extensions are concentrated at Jujuland K-Meleon extensions.

Some things can be fine tuned via about:config.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2007 01:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: XDS
Date: August 18, 2007 05:35PM

guenter
When greyed out options are not applicable - e.g. because You have chosen a contradictory pref or not activated something e.g. a plugin
( It is the same system as with FFox ).

Yes deliberate.

p. s. Best try to costumize things You remember first - that makes it IMHO easier - K-Meleon got many new out off the box items - many/most additional extensions are concentrated at Jujuland K-Meleon extensions.

Some things can be fine tuned via about:config.

Well that doesn't make sence , because in the regular preferences menue I am able to change things just fine that are greyed out in Advanced pref.

You guys need to work on this.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 18, 2007 06:53PM

I may have a similar problem. I am running KM 1.12 beta and have the history plugin checked and running. The fields for setting the number of days to keep history are greyed out on advanced preferences. In the configuration the number of days is set to 5 and noted as user set. The number "5" is visible in the greyed out box. Five days is all I am seeing which is right for me now but seems like I should be able to change the number of days.

I was looking at another thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,73749 to see if I could help there. XDS appearently has history going back to 1996. I was going to suggest setting the number of days to get rid of old stuff but I can't change mine from advanced preferences. I guess I could go to browser configuration but I prefer not.

Is this being greyed out a bug?

Posted by: boflaade
Date: August 20, 2007 04:26AM

I have the same problem and my version is stoc.(1..1.2) and the previous version was the same.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 20, 2007 05:44AM

I answered why things are greyed out (normaly)- and that was XDS's first question.
Later he seems to have found one entry where it is different and started nagging.
That is how it looks to me smiling smiley

p. s. History adanced prefs panel is simply an exception, a new entry that is greyed because it does not work at the moment.

Generally: IF You find a bug, report it; You post it in the bugs section to verify that it is a bug and not a broken install (only on Your system) or something, and later it is placed in the bug tracker.

BTW.
XDS
Will You pay for the devs to do it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2007 06:56AM by guenter.

Posted by: kko
Date: August 20, 2007 09:51AM

XDS
Well that doesn't make sence , because in the regular preferences menue I am able to change things just fine that are greyed out in Advanced pref.

When an option is greyed out in the Advanced Preferences panel, it's usually for one of these reasons:
1) The option is inapplicable due to other settings you've made.
2) The option has to be changed in the Preferences panel. (Due to the way km is currently handling the preferences internally, options that can be changed in the Preferences panel cannot be changed in the Advanced Preferences panel.)

XDS

2) will be resolved in the next version of km. Be patient.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.