General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
'Page Setup' & printing
Posted by: foobarly
Date: September 20, 2007 01:07PM

A major gripe I have with KM from the start (v0.7) is the way 'Page Setup' misbehaves. Let me make this clear, after noting that I'm from (continental) Europe, where Inches & Foots don't make any sense, making it all the more infuriating that the damn dialog always reverts to god forsaken limb units:

* This happens even if I choose A4 paper size (210x297 mm) instead of the capitalistic Legal/Letter options;

* If I choose the 'User defined' option after having selected A4, the correct milimeter values will be kept, but the unit will revert to Inches after I OK the new page setup;

* None of the above options seem to have any impact over the unit used for margins, where half an inch is the default for all 4 -- try to change that to a more convenient 25 milimeter for the left margin and 20 milimeter for the other 3 and watch the weird results (it treats all measures as inches).

Would it be too much to ask that the damn dialog be made truly billingual (i.e., able to correctly display and respect measures in the universal metric standard as well as the present obfuscatory imperial counterpart)?

My solution up to now is to set paper size to A4, all margins to 0 (zero) and use a third party print driver like FinePrint to really control the display of web content on a printed page -- an ugly but usually effective hack. But this sometimes doesn't work. Haven't bitched before about this, 'cause I always thought it would be fixed by next release, but since it hasn't, here goes...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Page Setup' & printing
Posted by: rmn
Date: September 22, 2007 08:40AM

Unfortunately, you can't pray for bugs to get fixed magically. You have to report bugs so people can fix them.

I've reported the second bug as bug 939; that only took a few minutes.

I can't reproduce the first bug. Make sure you select millimetres as the unit.

Date: September 25, 2007 02:48PM

Gee, I thought that I had done a good job of reporting this issue... but missed the bugtrack site, which BTW I had never used before -- we noobs always miss something, unlike our savvy overlords. Would be a good subject for a sticky, describing howto, here at the forum.

rmn, the first bullet doesn't really describe a bug, rather an initial state -- meaning that even if one chooses A4 sized paper, the unit check will revert to inches after OKeyd, as described in the second bullet of my msg (i.e., 210 x 297, the milimeter measure, will be displayed although the checked unit will after be inches).

On a side note, is the bugtrack login the same as the forum?

Thanx for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 02:51PM by foobarly.

Date: September 26, 2007 10:25AM

Never mind that last question, I confirmed that the login is in fact the same.

Plus I added a link back to this thread in the comments...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.