General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why is K-Meleon faster than Firefox?
Date: April 20, 2009 09:12PM

Screw IE ...:O:cool:

K-meleon rulez!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 20, 2009 10:19PM

william
Firefox 3.0 loads pages as fast as K-Meleon 1.1.5.

That is the (by me) expected result, a Firefox with the same GRE has a mere (not noticable) 5% slowdown on JavaScript (AFAIK reason = some parts of FF are done by JavaScripts, so on my PC this portion is eaten / results can vary - new browser versions will do better on new machines = that can result in a smaller difference). But that is the range where i had to use special test such as that of Celtic Cane to messure differences.

Today: AFAIk Mozilla GREs lead on surfing speed while KHTML (V8) leads on Java Script.

It can be different to morrow: there is a race, especially for JS speed.

HTML rendering: AFAIK Gecko and Presto (Opera) are fastest.

I like Dorian's K-M & Gecko compilations best smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 11:03PM by guenter.

Posted by: H Bjorn
Date: June 03, 2009 05:14AM

I have endless troubles with Firefox over the years (remember the old typeahead find bug?) when FF3 came out I thought they would have solved all the problems, BUT FF3 doesn't work at all well with many web pages I use including E-bay where constant freezes occur. Then I tried KM it is MASSIVELY faster than FF3 on my computer and I have had no problems with any web page at all. It is amazing that the KM people can take Mozilla's Gecko engine and make it better than Mozilla. I think the root of the speed is that FF3 handles multiple images-especially on third party servers- badly, K-Meleon doesn't have that problem. Safari is nearly as fast, but Grey???
Keep it up K-Meleon developers.

Posted by: jmans25
Date: January 12, 2011 01:53AM

BUMP!

Sory about this but I just need to say something.

Kmeleon is really fast indeed on my old pc but it does not handle that well (even though it loads websites just like FF, it has scrolling problems, typing problems, etc, but it is beond usable.

I use FF on my new PC (ASUS GPU Motherboard, 3GBs DDR2 RAM, AMD Athlon X2, MoBo comptatable with DDR3 and 6 core AMD processor and certified to run windows 7 after BIOS update, but I keep it with current config and XPwinking smiley and it runs FF really fast so I don't need kmeleon there. BTW: PC custom built smiling smiley

As for IE, it loads web pages really fast, but it crashes as soon as it loads the web page, lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: melo
Date: January 12, 2011 06:11AM

Panzer
Firefox 3 is going to be the quickest for a while.

The disease of FIREFOX (all versions...) is starting time ! sad smiley
It takes hours to start...
If you don't keep it always open, you'll turn mad ! :cool:

From this POV, INTERNET EXPLORER is the best (I have read that because parts of IE are already loaded with WINDOWS...).

Considering all criteria, I am in love with KM 1.1.6 !

Regards.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 20, 2011 05:21PM

although K-meleon 1.7 alpha 2 (based on Gecko 1.9.2.x) seems to load pages lightning fast, even a bit faster than Firefox 3.6 (also based on Gecko 1.9.2.x).

KM 1.7a2 still has some bugs & missing features to be worked out but KM 1.7 has got superspeed. And I'm using an old computer made in late 2000.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 20, 2011 07:52PM

melo
Panzer
Firefox 3 is going to be the quickest for a while.

The disease of FIREFOX (all versions...) is starting time ! sad smiley
It takes hours to start...
If you don't keep it always open, you'll turn mad ! :cool:

From this POV, INTERNET EXPLORER is the best (I have read that because parts of IE are already loaded with WINDOWS...).

Considering all criteria, I am in love with KM 1.1.6 !

Regards.

Melo,

I'm only using KM 1.6 and KM 1.7 now, although I still have KM 1.5.4 there to double-check settings and similar. You can speed up all three of these browsers by using a ram drive for the disk cache.

This is the free ramdrive that some of us use here.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 07:54PM by ndebord.

Posted by: Jack
Date: January 20, 2011 09:26PM

K-Meleon in a ramdisk, with only memory cache and no disk cache, and priority set to realtime - fasten your seatbelts and your netbook!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.