1.5a problems
Posted by: Charlie
Date: October 16, 2007 07:35AM

Perferences > Tabs;
when I select "Auto hide tab bar when only one tab" the tab bar does not appear when I open additional tabs.

There are no menu items displayed at the top of 1.5a as with 1.1.2 and others browsers i.e. File, Edit, View, Favorites, and Help.

Also, how do I get rid of the "Stop" and "Home" buttons?

When I attemp to open K-Meleon1.5a1update2.7z I get a Window installer warning:

"This installer Package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package."

I did not get K-Meleon1.5a1update1.7z because it is suppodsed to be included in Update 2.

Could someone please help me with these things? The Prefernces and macros with 1.1.2 are easy to work with, but it seems that 1.5a is very different.

This is the first time I have worked with an application that is in ALPHA stage, so please let me know if I am just being impataint.

By the way, KM 1.5a seems to load web pages much faster than 1.1.2

Thanks.

Charlie

Re: 1.5a problems
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 16, 2007 09:48AM

IMHO best create/use a separate install with separate Profile to test 1.5 alpha. Just in case You have too much trouble & for comparing it with 1.12.

I use installs with profile.ini (empty file just the file name/existence counts) inside k-meleons install directory to test. The profile.ini creates a profile inside the installation directory. The whole test install becomes expendable becuase it has no connection to Your normal profiles and installs. And Therefore it can be deleted without problems if something goes wrong (note that You need writing privileges inside the profile - so maybe "myfiles" directory is a good place/idea for the test install - and maybe use favorites to craete bookmarks becuase they are imidiatelly avaialble for all K-Meleon installs smiling smiley.

*.7z is an archive format - not an installer package for end-users - unarchive it.
Now, You update existing older files by copying the newer file to the location of the older files. This overwrites the older. It is not reversible.

Tabs - 1.5a seems to have some different default settings. Menus to manipulate settings become accessible when You have applied kko's update. The only issue I found that new Tabs do not open on double-click - but that might be my system or I have not found the setting yet.

Stop, Go and other Buttons can be commented out in toolbars.cfg of used skin.

# = make a comment
# Example for one button

# Stop{
# ID_NAV_STOP
# Stop loading this page
# mainbarhot.bmp[2]
# mainbarcold.bmp[2]
# mainbardead.bmp[2]
# }

Whole toolbars can be deactivated via View > Toolbars menu.

p. s. I agree with You - more responsive and more resource efficient - and that was AFAIK why Dorian changed from layers to tabs smiling smiley

Posted by: kko
Date: October 16, 2007 04:07PM

What guenter said in other words:

A *.7z file is a 7-Zip archive, like a ZIP archive. It has nothing to do with Windows Installer. You cannot install it, you can only extract it with a capable packer.

Simply extract the *.7z files to a location of your choice (just don't extract them on top of an existing km installation). Before you start k-meleon.exe for the first time, create a new text file in that directory (where k-meleon.exe resides) and rename it to "profile.ini" (not "profile.ini.txt"). Km 1.5a1 (any km since 1.0) will then create and use its own profile located inside the installation directory. This way, you can use multiple km installations with each of them using its own profile. This will avoid profile conflicts.

When you are missing menu items, your probaly in lack of msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll. These Microsoft libraries are not included in any of the *.7z packages of km (for legal reasons). They're only included in the km installer (*.exe) packages. Simply copy these files from your existing km 1.1.x installation into the installation directory of km 1.5a1 (next to k-meleon.exe).

Charlie
This is the first time I have worked with an application that is in ALPHA stage, so please let me know if I am just being impataint.

You only have to know about the things I've mentioned above when you want to use any of km's 7z packages (these are for more experienced users). ALPHA version simply means that the application is in a very early stage of development. The purpose of an alpha version is to be tested by other developers and experienced users to discover bugs. Alpha versions are actually not addressed to end users (because of the many bugs/lacks). Just be prepared that not everything is working...

guenter
The only issue I found that new Tabs do not open on double-click - but that might be my system or I have not found the setting yet.

The tab bar is indeed behaving different from the layer bar in this regard. Look into the Tab Bar options in Preferences (section Mouse Control).

Personally, I liked the layer bar's behavior better (where you could close as well as open layers through double/middle-clicks). Well, we'll see... winking smiley

Date: October 16, 2007 06:05PM

@kko I prefer to blame the systems or myself (first).
I checked the settings but I have a two button logitech mouse smiling smiley

Personally I liked old behaviour also - that is why I expected to find it.
But I will accomodate, it was an amienty no neccesity.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 16, 2007 08:27PM

"Could someone please help me with these things? The Prefernces and macros with 1.1.2 are easy to work with, but it seems that 1.5a is very different."
Perhaps this is just because my copy of 1.5a doesn't have the Updates.

As far as extracting the Update, using my Zip tool I was able to extract it as a blue zip folder. But when I click on this blue zip folder I get the installer warning. I can open it in Notebad, but the contents is beyond my understanding. Appearantly I need step-by-step- help appling the Update, if someone would be so kind.

As guenter mentioned, 1.5a is "more responsive and more resource efficient."
It puts every other browser I've ever even heard of to shame. Except for the few things I'm having trouble with, I love it.

Thanks

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Terry
Date: October 16, 2007 08:48PM

@caktus - kko is using 7zip. You can download it here: http://www.7-zip.org/ After you have installed it, it will fold itself into Windows Explorer. When you right click on a 7zip file using Windows Explorer, you will see a new menu item (7-zip) and when highlighted will give you a variety of ways to extract the compressed file.

What kko is advising is to copy the .7z file into the folder where you have your new K-Meleon 1.5. Let's say that your main folder for this is located in Program Files\K-Meleon1.5a1\ . This is where you would copy kko's update. Then, using Windows Explorer, locate the file, right click, select 7-zip and Extract Here. Since this will overwrite some files and folders, you will be prompted to let it do so. That should "install" kko's update.

Posted by: Charlie
Date: October 17, 2007 05:26AM

Terry,

Thank you for responding. The Update SEEMED to extract as you discribed. But still I have no toolbar menus.

This is the 5.1a browser configuration without the Update.
http://aycu09.webshots.com/image/29368/2001292301133408569_rs.jpg

This is what I get when I open the Udated browser. I am not sure if these screenshots are in the exact order.
http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/32610/2001209074349816155_rs.jpg

As you can see by the last screenshot, I still do not have any Toolbar menus, i.e. File, Edit, View, Favorites, Help.
According to menus.cfg it SEEMS that these menus should be present on the Toolbar.

Date: October 17, 2007 05:50AM

Please disregard the screenshot links in my last post at Date: October 17, 2007 01:26AM. I don't know how I managed to mess it up. I Was going to Edit it. But for some reason the Edit feature is not avaiable.

Here is a link to all of the screenshots. Just click on the Thumbnails to enlarge. The first screenshot is 1.5a with out the Update. Actually, I am begining to wonder if I really have 1.5a or something else.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/b/2087947611053455436

Charlie

Date: October 17, 2007 11:50AM

AFAIcan see Your screenshots show Hao's: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070827 K-MeleonCCF/0.06.0.0

1.5.a1 has user agent string Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071013 K-Meleon/1.5

Somehow they seem to be installed together or they use the same profile?

Both have a 1.5 K-Meleon.exe (CCF subversion 19 and GRE 1.8.1.4) (1.5a with update subversion 20 and GRE 1.8.1.8). Mixing these components causes no problem.

But K-Meleon GRE can use 3 different chrome.dll. MEs use chrmlite.dll which require a special minimalistic chrome.
Standard K-Meleon GRE will use a chrome.dll that require and can handle full chromes with manifest files. It can handle SeaMonkey and Firefox style chromes.

K-Meleon.exe can handle normal K-Meleon macro or Lua macro support plugins (AFAIK even both at the same time if the configuration files are adapted).

But it looks as if they cannot be just mixed without special preparation smiling smiley

Create a separate install for each version (CCF and Standart 1.5) - make sure each uses its own profile [put a file called profile.ini into each install - that way they have their own profile inside their own folder / this can be controlled easier / make sure K-Meleon (You as user) has writing rights where the profile is].

p. s. If You wanted to update CCF GRE You best use bruns' update package.

You can also use files from Standad 1.5.a - You just do not update anything but exe and dlls smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 11:53AM by guenter.

Date: October 21, 2007 02:50AM

Started over by downloading a new installation of K-Meleon1.5a1.7z and Update2 linked from Dorian's post at http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,75092,page=1

I am not sure I did the installtions correctly, as Help > About K-Memeon indicates the following:
http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/30620/2004742695690716662_rs.jpg

It doesn't indicate the Update. But the toolbar is complete this time i.e. all of the toolbar menu's are present.

Also, favrenadd is not present in the Favorites menu. Am I correct in understanding that the 1.1.2 versions of favrenadd.kmm &.js cannot be used with
K-Meleon1.5a?

Also, I notice that the "Open Last Closed" features are not present in the File menu. I hope this feature will be present in the final release. The "Open Last Closed" features are very helpful.
Never mind. After closing 1.5 my system crashed. After getting the system back up I could nolonger open 1.5 or 1.1.2. After removing everything 1.5, I can now open 1.1.2. I guess I'd better leave 1.5 alone until a final release.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2007 03:21AM by caktus.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 21, 2007 04:54PM

@caktus,

The reason of your crash is probably due to the fact that profiles folder are at the same place for the two versions.

To allow using two versions, don't forget to add profile.ini file in 1.5 K-Meleon root folder. You can find in a lot of posts the structure of this ini file.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: October 21, 2007 09:37PM

profile.ini can be empty smiling smiley

Yes, I forgot that best use profile.ini when testing new k-meleons

Date: October 22, 2007 04:00AM

JujuLand & guenter,

Thank you for reminding me about the profile.ini file. I had foregotten about it. 1.5a is now running like a song.smiling smiley

I now have 1.5a setup almost exactly as 1.1.2 smiling smiley with 2 exceptions. 1.) the Sessions menu. I am not sure if I will want to keep it on the Toobar. And 2.) I am unable to set the minimum font size. On 1.1.2 I have the minimum font size set to 22 which is very suitable for my poor eye sight. But I do not know how to set the minimum font size in 1.5a. Can the minimum font size be edited in 1.5a?

Thanks.

Charlie

Posted by: kko
Date: October 22, 2007 04:08PM

caktus
Can the minimum font size be edited in 1.5a?

Yes. Open Edit > Configuration > Browser Configuration. Right-click into the list and choose New > Integer. Enter font.minimum-size.x-western for the preference name and click OK. Then enter the desired number (22) for the value and click OK. Repeat the same procedure for font.minimum-size.x-unicode.

Date: October 22, 2007 04:21PM

Thank you, kko,

It's works like a charm. smiling smiley

Charlie

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 22, 2007 05:48PM

@ caktus

Also, favrenadd is not present in the Favorites menu. Am I correct in understanding that the 1.1.2 versions of favrenadd.kmm &.js cannot be used with
K-Meleon1.5a?

New versions of FavRenAdd and PgLdSound in the Macro Library have been upgraded to work with 1.5a1

Date: October 22, 2007 06:31PM

Thank you, JamesD,

Got it now. smiling smiley

Charlie

Posted by: foobarly
Date: October 22, 2007 09:47PM

I totally ignored kko's tweak, so I posted it to:

http:// kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleonPreferences http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleonPreferences

Other tips like this should be treated likewise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 09:48PM by foobarly.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.