goodbye profile!
Posted by: colossus2
Date: November 27, 2007 05:19PM

Last evening I were unable to load my profile. All the changes and configurations I had made were lost! I had made some changes in user.js and userchrome.css and more and all were lost! No crash, no hang, nothing wrong before this fact. Adblockplus didn't load neither. Favorites were gone. Groups were gone. All settings were gone. Everything was restored to the first initial screen of Kmeleon, the same shown in the first start. This is the fifth time that this have happened to me with 1.12 version. I am really tired of customizing this browser to lose my whole profile without any previous warning. I have seen this morning a new avaliable version of Kmeleon, 1.13: not for me, gentlemen, sure not for me!

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Re: goodbye profile!
Date: November 27, 2007 05:23PM

I were >>> I was

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 27, 2007 05:44PM

This is due to a bug of the Setup. All macros and components added by extensions have been cleared by the update.

We're working to modify the setup, and apologize for the troubles you can have.

To correct this problem, just reinstall the extensions.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 28, 2007 11:45AM

To others that continue to use K-Meleon after having a similar problem smiling smiley after installing a new K-Meleon (or a New Version).

The files in Your profile are AFAIK not effected by the setup flaw (mentioned by alain) - only the files installed by certain extensions at some locations that support the functions of the adaptations must be reinstalled.

Else [ if You have not used (installable user) extensions to modify ] check whether You selected the same profile location at setup. There is a toggle that decides about Profile folder's location during the setup

1.) Multiuser Support: That is the default setting that has Your Profiles in "Application Data" where all applications withe Gecko engine have their profiles.

2.) Unselecting Multiuser support at setup stores Your Profiles into K-Meleon folder. BTW. this enables You to easily manage different K-Meleon installs at different names or locations.

To find out which is selected look e.g. into K-Meleon root folder. Best look there because it will help You to test what is wrong.

If Your K-Meleon installation contains profile.ini - Profiles are stored in K-Meleon folder else the profiles are in "Application Data".

If You look a little more and find Profiles at both locations? Do some tests. smiling smiley

Either:
1.)Backup Profile.ini to a save location. Then delete profile.ini and (re)start K-M. (You can copy it back if this was not th reason)

Else:
2.) Create a new empty profile.ini (if You had none previously) and (re)start k-M.

Give us feedback if this was the reason!

Also If You found the right Profile You will still need to reinstall extensions like alain said before!

p.s. (re)=start = Start or shut down and restart K-Meleon and the loader!

@colossus2,

K-Meleon does not loose Profile normally - and this loosing Profiles has to do with either Your hardware, OS setup or might be a Gecko bug observed on some systems.

Go to IE or Opera if You think otherwise. Nobody here cares either way. And if I was a moderator with more guts i would remove Your post because it is not relevant and helpful to any other users. smiling smiley

BTW: I adapted a Firefox a profile backup extension that is available at alain's extension page. Why?

It is normal IT procedure to maintain backups.

You chose to make no backups by hand and not to use any backup software.
Others especially our devs are not responsible for Your choices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 11:46AM by guenter.

Date: November 28, 2007 06:09PM

guenter, Go to IE or Opera if You think otherwise. Nobody here cares either way. And if I was a moderator with more guts i would remove Your post because it is not relevant and helpful to any other users.

Dozens of users have reported same problem with no such answer from Kmeleon support team. If people that makes Kmeleon possible recommend to their own users to surf with IE or Opera, with nobody there caring either way, I have nothing more to say to you.

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Date: November 28, 2007 06:16PM

Posted by: dabiank (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2007 08:25AM
The following bug had already been reported for previous releases, and it's *** STILL *** here: after MANY closures and re-openings of K-Meleon, All custom settings (bookmarks, startup pages, and so on) are deleted, and the default ones are automatically restored. According to me, this is a very, very, VERY serious bug.

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 28, 2007 09:23PM

colossus2,

The problem is that your original post comes out rude.

Sure this is an important bug, but so far nobody has been able to come up with a set of steps that can consistently reproduce the bug everywhere. As you said, there were nothing wrong before it happened. That makes fixing the bug much more difficult.

If that is not acceptable, well, you're free to use another browser. But you need to understand that nobody wants this bug to exist, least of all the people who work on K-Meleon.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 28, 2007 09:27PM

@colossus2

You made a melting pot with different things.

1) I never said that profile (I probably had a wrong read of your post) is altered by the setup. I'm sure that it's not the case since 1.1.0 setup. But I said that extensions are altered with this setup, in components and macros folder. As my extension system is newer than 1.1.0 setup we can't test it before. I assume that I haven't tested the upgrade, just the install. I have a great part of responsibility in that bug, because my test were not complete.

But, the only who can make no error is the one who makes nothing.

2) guenter who had hardly worked on gecko adaptation, had adapted some mozilla extension, and purpose it, in this case, to help users to protect profile about possible problems. It a good thing for all users, and you can notice it's a mozilla extension which is originally purposed to mozilla users.

Mozilla and Firefox, as good as they can be, can possibly crash profiles. No comment!

3) You seem ignore a thing which is important, that K-Meleon is a free software and is offered graciously. The guys (me, kko, guenter, and others) who help other users make it also graciously, and no obligation of answer and result is due. We help each others because we like K-Meleon and want to help the others.

I think you ought to read this page to understand why you're not correct in this post, and how to ask help.

I seriously think that it's not guenter but you that the moderator ought to censor.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 29, 2007 05:20AM

Alain, I don't think this is related to an upgrade; colossus2 mentioned that (s)he didn't want to upgrade to 1.1.3.

Date: November 29, 2007 06:31AM

@alain: I hardly worked = I did not work much ( in English ).

Actually, I worked to make this backup extension work.
It was colossus2's choice to make no updates at all.

It is a known flaw of GECKO ENGINE to eat Profiles on some systems! Or the system's? This week my Thunderbird ate one - that is why I keep backups.

Actually the data are not destroyed - it is the path finding to the Profile and its data that is corrupted. If colossus2 had asked how to retrieve the data I would have answered. He choose to say good by in an unfriendly maner. And I do not care if unfriendly PPL say good by.

@colossus2 - Why do You shout at me?

Nobody has reported the bug in a reproducable way.

IMHO it is a Gecko Bug and it was Your choice to say Good By and this browser is no good in Your way. Since the other Geckos share this bug it is: IE or Opera smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2007 08:13AM by guenter.

Posted by: An XPer Trying to Get Favorites Back
Date: November 29, 2007 02:47PM

Can anyone possibly tell me if this loss of Favorites mentioned by colossus2
means his Favorites plugin no longer works? I am one of the many XP users that
have had that happen. But I see I am the only one until now? who has also lost the
entire profile at the same time. I did upgrade to the KM 1.1.3 but the plugin
still refuses to function. Any fixes for this yet?

Date: November 29, 2007 03:25PM

I wasn't rude, I only was angry due to the failure of my profile. I am human after all, but I hate to discuss for free. If it's a very known flaw that Gecko eats its own profiles, why nobody has created an option to backup it up automatically and then recover it from a database containing at least the last ones? I didn't know that Gecko eats its own profiles so easy but I see I've spent a lot of time customizing Kmeleon to my likes so much times for nothing. If I knew this issue, I haven't customized Kmeleon at all because it's very frustrating to navigate in a "plain kmeleon" during hours or days to not start to customize it again and again.

I didn't know either about a utility to backup the profile, you should put a big warning about its existence in your webpage. If this is as you said, why Kmeleon hasn't one customizable option by default to backup the profile daily, weekly or monthly? Last thing, your users may be happy or angry or whatelse other emotion they want, because Kmeleon has good and bad things. It should be a good idea to hear all opinions without to need to recommend IE to people as first step to finish a discussion. It's like send them to the shit.

To "An XPer Trying to Get Favorites Back", IMHO it is a Gecko Bug and it was Your choice to say Good ByE and this browser is no good in Your way. Since the other Geckos share this bug it is: IE or Opera smiling smiley

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Date: November 29, 2007 03:33PM
Posted by: An XPer Trying to Get Favorites Back
Date: November 29, 2007 03:54PM

colossus2, I really am very sorry about your problem. And I do empathize with
you. I too have on more than one occasion lost everything in my profile.
However please understand that you and I may be in the minority here if English
is your main language. It is mine so I know from experience that almost all
misunderstandings here come from that. Guenter is German and sometimes has
difficulties with his English. I believe JujuLand resides in France. They do
not always speak or write as we do. But I also know them to be 2 of the most
helpful people on any forum you can go to. Here you do not have to worry about
sounding stupid because Guenter will quickly let you know there is no such
thing as a stupid question. And I am still interested in what exactly happened
to your Favorites. And do you also use XP? Everyone do not forget to :-)
Thanks

Posted by: kko
Date: November 29, 2007 06:22PM

See: Bug 205120 – Lost Profile after Windows Crash

Workaround: Make a backup of your registry.dat file. Restore registry.dat with the backup when your profile gets lost again.

If that doesn't help, feel free to ask for help. Calm and polite. Complaints are counter productive. Other users might be able to help you, but they are not responsible for your problem(s).

Date: November 30, 2007 06:05AM

2nd workaround:

Try and copy all the files inside the old profile e.g. from .../0ucald8b.slt to Your new profile .../wcsuk1r4.slt .

This cut effort solution works often for K-Meleon 1.1 - 1.1.3 variants.

PPL that did not create backups can at least try this smiling smiley

If not You have to redirect the path inprefs.js from old profile name to new name with search&replace of an editor.

Appart from that:

It is very true that a lot of past argument in this Forum came from missunderstandings caused by the language differnces. English is just lingua franca for many ppl that come here. And all have to accept this and that sometimes other languages are used. You have to be careful with how You express emotions and complaints. It is part of this Forum's deal. The alternative would be that everybody answers only questions in his own language, which is best achieved by a monolingual Forum (like K-Meleon Russia has).

This would probably eliminate English answers of: all current devs, alain (maintains setup), desgas2 (navigator es-ES).... and many users like me.

An example - This would eliminate most answers of this thread and all workarounds .

To have a common Forum was chosen by several nations because that gives more and better answers. When one of my country men long ago suggested to leave and create a national Forum I opted to stay for this reason. A national forum can simply not have the same quality of answerers and thus answers - so IMHO it is bad that some Brasilians try to establish one now. PPL here could also help them with creating a Brazilian version.

p. s. Nobody has to say: guenter is normally quite helpfull and frindly but...

I am not. I was deliberatly rude to a person that anoyed me.

Why: Summarry of how I see this thread.

A possibly Spanish speaking person unknown to me has had a Windows crash (that slauthered his browser profile) and writes in English:

person
This is the fifth time that this have happened to me with 1.12 version. I have seen this morning a new avaliable version of Kmeleon, 1.13: not for me, gentlemen, sure not for me!

Means to me: Good By to You and this product - addressing those that do the jobs,

"gentlmen" meaning to me: You guys are too stupid to create a good product.

I answered for the benefit of PPL that have a problem like him and said Good BY to the person since he obviously has not read or disagrees to K-Meleon's license conditions. I recommended some another producers/vendors that offer similar products but I included IE to be rude!

The person claims later:

person
I wasn't rude, I only was angry due to the failure of my profile.

to continue:

person
To Jujuland,
[tonguc.wordpress.com]

I struck a fair deal & gave a rude answer - alain did not derserve this.

Because:

1.) The person did not ask a question.
2.) URL's info is for professional answerers.
3.) It is a cheeky answer.
4.) The person wanted free help for a free product if a question was implied.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 06:31AM by guenter.

Date: November 30, 2007 05:25PM

I think the problem happens when K-Meleon is being closed and it crashes at the same time. K-Meleon appears to be completely shut down by the user, but it's still running in the background maintaining some files write-protected, so when you open K-Meleon again it's forced to create a new profile.

To Jujuland, I haven't said anything about an update failure.
To RMN, thank you for understand me the right way.
To "An XPer...", I use XP SP2 under Kubuntu 7.10. Favorites were simply gone.
To KKO, thank you for your advices, but there were no Windows crash.
To Guenter, gentlemen = herren. So difficult? "You guys are too stupid to create a good product", is also a good translation effort by your side, but I prefer "herren". I declined to use version 1.1.3 because I'm waiting for version 1.5, and because Gecko 1.8.1.11 is avaliable right now while you're offering 1.8.1.10 and so forth.

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Date: November 30, 2007 05:32PM

"gentlemen" meaning to me: You guys are too stupid to create a good product.

Unforgettable.

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 30, 2007 06:35PM

@ colossus2:

You must read this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,75092,page=5

and test my Bugger for K-Meleon. If you can crash K-Meleon with it you can post us your crash values and we could reproduce it and test your crash to solved.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 01, 2007 06:16AM

@colossus2,

Señor, You better check how Your XP experiment is shut down by Kubuntu instead of searching problems here.

colossus2
but there were no Windows crash.

You do not need to have an open crash - I had to replace TBird profiles this week when system claimed it had been shut down prematurely (which was not the case from my side).

colossus2
because Gecko 1.8.1.11 is avaliable right now while you're offering 1.8.1.10 and so forth.
P.G.S.

They had a stabilty problem - K-Meleon 1.1.3 does not share this problem.

Nothing else fixed in 1.8.1.11. smiling smiley

Date: December 03, 2007 02:57PM

To desga2: I have news. After K-Meleon 1.1.3 and Firefox 3.0beta1 were installed in my computer under XP service pack 2, I closed and opened both till the profile was lost:

K-Meleon 1.1.3: Closed times (using the "X"): 73. Opened times (double click on icon): 74. Time between closing and opening: at once. Warnings: 0. Profiles lost: 1 (1,36%).

Firefox 3.0beta1: Closed times (using the "X": 100 (I stopped here). Opened times (double clik on icon): 168. Time between closing and opening: at once. Warnings about other instance of Firefox is running: 68. Profile lost: 0.

To guenter: Kubuntu 7.10 doesn't shut down XP at all. Kubuntu only provides the hard disk partition system control. GRUB or LILO allows the user to boot Windows XP or Linux Kubuntu 7.10 as different and independent operative systems. There is no experiment at all. In the same way, BootCamp allows Macintosh users to choose between XP or OSX Leopard. Microsoft Windows Virtual PC 2007 allows MS users to install and to use any operative system they want. Thank you for the profile backup utility, it's very cute.

Yours, sincerelly,
P.G.S.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 03, 2007 04:36PM

@ colossus2:

Can you try the test with my Bugger program?

I tried the next values with K-M 1.1.2 in win2K SP4 and none errors results:

Repetitions: 100
Time close: 1000 (by default)
Time open: 1000 (by default)

(rest value by default, all options unchecked and tabs to 1)

Thanks for your test, all info is important to detect and fix the problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 04, 2007 05:56AM

@colossus2
Mine was a Thbird Version 1.5.0.13 (20070809). It is possible that they fixed the Gecko error in the 1.9 GRE that is used with Firefox 3.x.

For profile lost after windows crash the have open bug with gecko

K-Meleon can not do the other fixed crash. There is litte vital location info in k-meleon prefs.js.

My Thbird or System seem to damage Thbird's registry.dat.

BTW. The thanks for the nifty litte Bookmark Backup extension & utility go to "pike" his contributors plus the ppl that created k-meleon specific tanslations. I merely altered the utility so that it will back our k-meleon specific files instead of firefox specific files which I did not need smiling smiley . Backup is best set to copy the files to another partition or at least to a completely different folder.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.