General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Where are Groups stored?
Posted by: gregf
Date: December 23, 2007 01:01AM

Dear K-meleon experts...

Where are "Groups" stored in my hard drive? I had a crash of Windows XP sp2 while using Opera. I also had K-meleon open (my default browser) ver 1.1.2 when I crashed. When I recoverd from the crash and re-launched KM, I noticed that my "Bookmarks" "Favorites", "Hotlists" and "Groups" where missing from my Menu bar. I was able to recover my "Bookmarks, Favorites and Hotlist just by going over to the Advanced Preferences and re-enabled them.

But I was not able to recover my "Groups"! I had a very large list.

Can anyone tell me where are they stored on my hard disk? Maybe I can recover them if I can see the file.

K-meleon had no fault in my crash. It has been running great. I luv this Browser.

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks in advance for any help
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where are Groups stored?
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 23, 2007 10:33AM

Prefs.js of used Profile; look for strings containing group (s).

1.) It is possible that You have a broken old profile that contains the old Prefs.js (this is sometimes when system crashes and breaks K-Meleon's registry.dat - that is a file in Profile folder). Here You have a good chance to recover the groups. AFAIK copy the prefs.js to the new profile. Remove any string from prefs.js that points the the old Profiles name. Inquire if You find such (but mostly You do not find any in default configuration ). Else use new prefs.js and create new groups using the same names look for strings containing: groups.user.

2.) or the current Profile can contain more than one prefs.js (one or more obsolete & they are numbered). Note: the later is very rare to observe. I have no memory when & with which K-Meleon it was last mentioned. Try to use the same procedure by copy paste the info from prefs.js to currenty used one. Adapt above procedure and rename use info from older prefs.js.

3.) If You are still using the same profile and there is no obsolete profile or prefs.js the groups infos are gone.

Posted by: gregf
Date: December 23, 2007 09:47PM

Guenter... Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, #3 is what I have. So that this doesn't happen to me again. Is there a way of backing up "Groups"???

Thanks again...
Greg

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 23, 2007 11:24PM

sorry to hear that sad smiley

prefs.js (which contains them) is AFAIK one files backed up by ProfileBackup extension. That is on alain's page. Best set the backup folder outside Profiles folder. It does not retsore files but keeps save back ups that can replace broken files.

p.s. Normally it is sufficient to have a save copy of K-Meleons's registry.dat to get all restored. That is the file that typically breaks when the OS crashes. Maybe have another close look after a second older XXXXXXXX.slt in application data/K-Meleon/default/... Broken registry.dat is much more common then the total loss of files. Maybe use windows search (prefs.js or bookmarks.html are the best candidates to search ). It might be worth Your effort.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.