General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
close tabs
Posted by: prenaud
Date: December 26, 2007 04:15PM

Is there a way to reduce the number of clicks when closing tabs? I find that when I have many layers open, sometimes I want to close some without viewing them. It seems like I have to activate the tab first. I would prefer if I could close them with a right click like in Maxthon or click on an "X" like in Firefox.

Thanks,

Pierre

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: close tabs
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 26, 2007 04:50PM

Double clicking a tab will close it.

Date: December 26, 2007 06:31PM

Double-clicking a tab that you are not viewing doesn't close it.

Date: December 26, 2007 06:56PM

Works for me. I opened three additional tabs with a different web site in each. Then I went back to the original tab and double clicked on the one of the three additional tabs and it closed. Focus remained on the original tab. I have double click set to "close the current tab", and when closing a tab set to "Focus the previously selected tab". I know it sounds wrong, but I think a double click on the tab quickly sets focus to that tab, closes the tab, and returns focus to the previously selected tab.

Date: December 26, 2007 10:10PM

I must be blind. I can't find the "double click set to close the current tab"...

Posted by: Terry
Date: December 26, 2007 11:16PM

@prenaud - Edit-Preferences-Browsing-Tabbed Browsing - then click on Tab Bar tab then at the bottom under Mouse Control select the preference you wish to assign to double click, and, if you have the scroll wheel, assign it to close the tab on click. This is the fastest way to close any tab.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 26, 2007 11:33PM

Maybe I do not understand the problem. But I try to explain what I do with tabs.

I talk about the bar right of the writing "layer" or "tab" that I use. Lets call it tab bar. Here are (can be) little fields that symbolize the open tabs on the tab bar. These little fields and the tab bar itself contain all the functionality to manipulate the tabs/layers.

I use the default settings.

I double click on an empty space on the tab bar to open/create a new empty tab.
I double click into a tab (-field that is) on the tab bar to close this existing tab.
I right click over a tab (-field that is) on the tab bar to get more options to manipulate this tab.
I move the mouse over a tab (-field) to get a yellowish bubble help that tells me the URL.

Additionally the tabs can be manipulated via the Layer/&Window Buttons (a bar).
Most skins have: New, Close (some skins also have Previeous and Next).
I always deactivate this bar because i do not need it smiling smiley

BTW. only 1.5 has true tabs - so I manipulate layers that way smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2007 11:56PM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2007 07:32PM

I must be using a different version (1.1.3). I can't find the double-click option. Oh well, that's not a big deal.

Guenter, I was just trying to close tabs without viewing them. There's a bit of a delay on my computer. After closing a layer, it takes 3-4 seconds before I can close a another one.

Pierre

Date: December 27, 2007 10:15PM

high Pierre,
I also use 1.1.3, the German version ( so Yours and mine are identical except for the language files ). It is not an option I just double click into the field. The two clicks must be fast after another, but how fast depends on the systems mouse settings. If the mouse cannot be adjusted on a specific system we can always fall back on the open/close buttons.

3-4 seconds is real slow. This is here when I use much RAM - e.g. on Myspace when several pages are open. Guess no old PC is ideal (this is a p500 with 192 MB RAM) sad smiley

Posted by: Arow
Date: December 28, 2007 01:00AM

prenaud
I would prefer if I could close them with a right click like in Maxthon or click on an "X" like in Firefox.

Thanks,

Pierre

I also like to use right click to close tabs

Hao's ccf me k-meleon versions enable you to close tabs with right click. The ccf GUI is very responsive, so if you experience delay closing tabs with ccf you have a problem other than K-meleon

To reveal Main Menu in ccf me alter pref.js entry:
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility", false);
to
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility", true);

Date: December 28, 2007 01:04PM

Thanks Arow, CCF Me is lightning fast on my computer (Dell Pentium 4 CPU 2, 40GHz, 512MB RAM).

No more delays when closing tabs/windows. The right click works great.

Pierre

Date: December 31, 2007 01:20PM

Does anyone know how we go about asking questions related to CCF Me. For example, I can't figure out which key to press when you want a link to open in a new tab. I know that Ctrl-click opens a new window. I also know that you can have CCF Me opens every link in a new tab, but this is not an option that I like.

The only CCF Me forum I can find is not in English.

Thanks,

Pierre

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 31, 2007 07:00PM

prenaud
Does anyone know how we go about asking questions related to CCF Me. For example, I can't figure out which key to press when you want a link to open in a new tab. I know that Ctrl-click opens a new window. I also know that you can have CCF Me opens every link in a new tab, but this is not an option that I like.

You can ask in this thread opened by Hao:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,75917

Note: you can make accelerates as in standard K-M.

Happy New Year!

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 07:02PM by desga2.

Date: December 31, 2007 07:05PM

This Forum is for any K-Meleon (CCF ME users are not many - Hao visits here).

You create a topic header that tells the reader what You want.
= K-Meleon Version plus question smiling smiley

The CCF ME Preferences menu is under Options not Edit (for some other K-Meleons too - so there are two places to search smiling smiley.

CCF ME Right Click on the Tools symbol to find menus.

If You do not find an option to change tab settings via a menu item?

AFAIK prefs.js
user_pref("kmeleon.tabs.onOpenOption", 1);
sets tabs the way You do not like - try 0 instead

Maybe use an editor while the browser is closed smiling smiley

Ah desga2 was faster - happy 2008

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 07:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: January 02, 2008 06:31AM

There may be other ways with ccf but
I use left click for opening links in current window
and drag & drop mouse gesture for opening links with focus on new tab.
It just requires a tiny flick of the mouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 06:32AM by Arrow.

Date: January 02, 2008 09:30AM

prenaud
I must be using a different version (1.1.3). I can't find the double-click option. Oh well, that's not a big deal.

You are right. KM 1.1.3 does not have tabs. It has layers. They are very different. I assumed that since you said "tabs" that you were using KM 1.5a1.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.